SSless in Austin.

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Anthony Sloan, Jan 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bad timing.

Very bad.

The ever faithful Surly 1x1 has gone off to it's new life in Colorado. The Karate Monkey frame won't
    be available until early February (or so...)

"Don't it always go to show You never know what you got till it's gone" I hate realizing that I have
    taken things for granted.

Now all I want to do is ride my singlespeed.... I've ordered parts, which only adds to the longing.
    Parts are just that, parts. Bits, pieces, components of a whole. Unfortunately bikes are in no way
    fractal or I could take my new race face cranks for a spin around the block while I waited...

http://www.anthonysloan.com/Karate_Monkey.html

Oh dern... A

Tags:

2. Cleanbean

Cleanbean Guest

Hey Anthony,

Intrested in doing this? I have 3 racers so far, need a 4th. Whats your ave lap time at Warda in dry
    conditions? http://www.terrafirmapromo.com/dirtydozen.htm

Cleanbean (about finished with the K2 ht Razor) Truvative Cranks Monkey lite riser (alum.) XTR rest
    of drive train & brakes Z1 Shock "Anthony Sloan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Bad timing.
    >
    > Very bad.
    >
    > The ever faithful Surly 1x1 has gone off to it's new life in Colorado. The Karate Monkey frame
    > won't be available until early February (or so...)
    >
    > "Don't it always go to show You never know what you got till it's gone" I hate realizing that I
    > have taken things for granted.
    >
    >
    > Now all I want to do is ride my singlespeed.... I've ordered parts, which only adds to the
    > longing. Parts are just that, parts. Bits, pieces, components of a whole. Unfortunately bikes are
    > in no way fractal or I could take my new race face cranks for a spin around the block while I
    > waited...
    >
    > http://www.anthonysloan.com/Karate_Monkey.html
    >
    > Oh dern... A

3. Jd

Jd Guest

Anthony Sloan <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Bad timing.
    >
    > Very bad.
    >
    > The ever faithful Surly 1x1 has gone off to it's new life in Colorado.

You're an addict, Anthony.

> "Don't it always go to show You never know what you got till it's gone"

Joni Mitchell "Big Yellow Taxi"

JD

4. Bill Wheeler

Bill Wheeler Guest

On Tue, 03 Dec 2002 10:18:04 -0600, Anthony Sloan <[email protected]> wrote:

>
    >http://www.anthonysloan.com/Karate_Monkey.html
    >
    That's gonna be some bike!

Have fun.... as soon as you can anyway. I'll try and post a good SS Friday night for you to keep you
    at easy. We should have 2 to 4 inches of snow on the ground and I'm not working! All day on the
    trails, that's what I'm talkin' 'bout!

Peace, Bill The mind serves properly as a window glass rather than as a reflector, that is, the mind
    should give an immediate view instead of an interpretation of the world.
    :-]

5. Gman

Gman Guest

On Tue, 03 Dec 2002 10:18:04 -0600, Anthony Sloan <spammeno[email protected]> wrote:
    > Bad timing.
    >
    > Very bad.
    >
    > The ever faithful Surly 1x1 has gone off to it's new life in Colorado. The Karate Monkey frame
    > won't be available until early February (or so...)
    >
    > "Don't it always go to show You never know what you got till it's gone" I hate realizing that I
    > have taken things for granted.
    >
    >
    > Now all I want to do is ride my singlespeed.... I've ordered parts, which only adds to the
    > longing. Parts are just that, parts. Bits, pieces, components of a whole. Unfortunately bikes are
    > in no way fractal or I could take my new race face cranks for a spin around the block while I
    > waited...
    >
    > http://www.anthonysloan.com/Karate_Monkey.html
    >
    > Oh dern... A
    >

Anthony,

I am so so sorry for your loss. I once had to endure a particular nasty 24-hour period when my SS BB
    was AFU. It was horrifying!

3 whole months...wow...I can't imagine. I will pray for you. :)

--
    Gman

6. G.T.

G.T. Guest

JD wrote:
    > Anthony Sloan <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    >
    >>Bad timing.
    >>
    >>Very bad.
    >>
    >>The ever faithful Surly 1x1 has gone off to it's new life in Colorado.
    >
    >
    > You're an addict, Anthony.

And I missed out on picking it up for the Epic next year. Just means I'll have to convert the
    Bontrager! Maybe I'll even put risers on it!

Greg

--
    "Loose the Mekons, came the cheer"

7. Paladin

Paladin Guest

"Cleanbean" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Hey Anthony,
    >
    > Intrested in doing this? I have 3 racers so far, need a 4th. Whats your ave lap time at Warda in
    > dry conditions? http://www.terrafirmapromo.com/dirtydozen.htm
    >
    > Cleanbean (about finished with the K2 ht Razor) Truvative Cranks Monkey lite riser (alum.) XTR
    > rest of drive train & brakes Z1 Shock "Anthony Sloan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Bad timing.
    > >
    > > Very bad.
    > >
    > > The ever faithful Surly 1x1 has gone off to it's new life in Colorado. The Karate Monkey frame
    > > won't be available until early February (or so...)
    > >
    > > "Don't it always go to show You never know what you got till it's gone" I hate realizing that I
    > > have taken things for granted.
    > >
    > >
    > > Now all I want to do is ride my singlespeed.... I've ordered parts, which only adds to the
    > > longing. Parts are just that, parts. Bits, pieces, components of a whole. Unfortunately bikes
    > > are in no way fractal or I could take my new race face cranks for a spin around the block while
    > > I waited...
    > >
    > > http://www.anthonysloan.com/Karate_Monkey.html
    > >
    > > Oh dern... A
    > >

Hey Bean! Good to see the golden handcuffs cut you loose for riding now and then! Enjoy the race,
    and remember your open invitation up north, any time. We're still riding here. Clear and cold,
    around 45f days. We start snowboarding next Saturday. That's funny about this place. We have at
    least 4 weeks of overlap.

Paladin

8. Cleanbean

Cleanbean Guest

"JD" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Anthony Sloan <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > Bad timing.
    > >
    > > Very bad.
    > >
    > > The ever faithful Surly 1x1 has gone off to it's new life in Colorado.
    >
    > You're an addict, Anthony.
    >
    > > "Don't it always go to show You never know what you got till it's gone"
    >
    > Joni Mitchell "Big Yellow Taxi"
    >
    > JD

JD, It just wouldn't be right if I didn't stop and say hello to Mr. JD. We are doing it year round
    here in Txass, hope you are still getting some time in the saddle.

Cleanbean

9. Cleanbean wrote:
    > Hey Anthony,
    >
    > Intrested in doing this? I have 3 racers so far, need a 4th. Whats your ave lap time at Warda in
    > dry conditions? http://www.terrafirmapromo.com/dirtydozen.htm

I haven't ridden Warda in a awhile. But I seem to remember turning something like 45-50 minute laps
    in the last race I did there.

The timing is a bit quirky, I head out to San Francisco again at the end of January. Give me a week
    and I'll see if I can commit.

Best,

A

--
    My hands are full of thorns but I can't quit groping for the rose.

10. Cleanbean

Cleanbean Guest

"Paladin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > "Cleanbean" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > Hey Anthony,
    > >
    > > Intrested in doing this? I have 3 racers so far, need a 4th. Whats
    your
    > > ave lap time at Warda in dry conditions? http://www.terrafirmapromo.com/dirtydozen.htm
    > >
    > > Cleanbean (about finished with the K2 ht Razor) Truvative Cranks Monkey lite riser (alum.) XTR
    > > rest of drive train & brakes Z1 Shock "Anthony Sloan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > Bad timing.
    > > >
    > > > Very bad.
    > > >
    > > > The ever faithful Surly 1x1 has gone off to it's new life in Colorado. The Karate Monkey frame
    > > > won't be available until early February (or
    so...)
    > > >
    > > > "Don't it always go to show You never know what you got till it's gone" I hate realizing that
    > > > I have taken things for granted.
    > > >
    > > >
    > > > Now all I want to do is ride my singlespeed.... I've ordered parts, which only adds to the
    > > > longing. Parts are just that, parts. Bits, pieces, components of a whole. Unfortunately bikes
    > > > are in no way
    fractal
    > > > or I could take my new race face cranks for a spin around the block while I waited...
    > > >
    > > > http://www.anthonysloan.com/Karate_Monkey.html
    > > >
    > > > Oh dern... A
    > > >
    >
    >
    > Hey Bean! Good to see the golden handcuffs cut you loose for riding now and then! Enjoy the race,
    > and remember your open invitation up north, any time. We're still riding here. Clear and cold,
    > around 45f days. We start snowboarding next Saturday. That's funny about this place. We have at
    > least 4 weeks of overlap.
    >
    > Paladin

Hey C! I'm riding more Mtb then ever. Me and Margaret try to trade off with little Bean. Can you
    believe he is 14 months old already! I'm always looking for a window (possible weekend) to come up
    and ride that way. I'll be looking real close this spring. Its been raining the past few days here
    so I've been putting parts on the K2. I should have it pretty much built by the end of the week.

If I can get Anthony to bite on the 12hr. race then I will just go and watch! I'm not into much
    racing but get caught up in it once in a while. We plan to put on a 6 or 12 hour event at Blora in
    the spring.

Cleanbean still doing it in Texas

11. Anthony Sloan wrote:
    >
    >
    > Cleanbean wrote:
    >
    >> Hey Anthony,
    >>
    >> Intrested in doing this? I have 3 racers so far, need a 4th. Whats your ave lap time at Warda in
    >> dry conditions? http://www.terrafirmapromo.com/dirtydozen.htm
    >
    >
    > I haven't ridden Warda in a awhile. But I seem to remember turning something like 45-50 minute
    > laps in the last race I did there.
    >
    > The timing is a bit quirky, I head out to San Francisco again at the end of January. Give me a
    > week and I'll see if I can commit.
    >
    > Best,
    >
    > A
    >

Hehe. I just checked old results.

One year I did the Sport race on the singlespeed. 2 laps at 1:36 Last spring I raced it on the
    geared bike, 2 laps at 1:40.

I love it.

--
    My hands are full of thorns but I can't quit groping for the rose.

12. Jd

Jd Guest

> JD, It just wouldn't be right if I didn't stop and say hello to Mr. JD. We are doing it year round
    > here in Txass, hope you are still getting some time in the saddle.

Damn skippy, Cleanbean. I just got back from a night ride on the Eagle's Wing/Lemon Squeezer. It's a
    bit cool out, but ya gotta do whatcha gotta do. Good to see you'restill gettin' some miles in.

JD

13. Cleanbean

Cleanbean Guest

"Anthony Sloan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >
    >
    > Anthony Sloan wrote:
    > >
    > >
    > > Cleanbean wrote:
    > >
    > >> Hey Anthony,
    > >>
    > >> Intrested in doing this? I have 3 racers so far, need a 4th. Whats
    your
    > >> ave lap time at Warda in dry conditions? http://www.terrafirmapromo.com/dirtydozen.htm
    > >
    > >
    > > I haven't ridden Warda in a awhile. But I seem to remember turning something like 45-50 minute
    > > laps in the last race I did there.
    > >
    > > The timing is a bit quirky, I head out to San Francisco again at the end of January. Give me a
    > > week and I'll see if I can commit.
    > >
    > > Best,
    > >
    > > A
    > >
    >
    > Hehe. I just checked old results.
    >
    > One year I did the Sport race on the singlespeed. 2 laps at 1:36 Last spring I raced it on the
    > geared bike, 2 laps at 1:40.
    >
    > I love it.

You're a Monster dude! I hope u can make it!

Cleanbean
    >
    > --
    > My hands are full of thorns but I can't quit groping for the rose.

14. Paladin

Paladin Guest

"Cleanbean", still doing it in Texas,

wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    >
    >
    > Hey C! I'm riding more Mtb then ever. Me and Margaret try to trade off with little Bean. Can you
    > believe he is 14 months old already! I'm always looking for a window (possible weekend) to come up
    > and ride that way. I'll be looking real close this spring. Its been raining the past few days here
    > so I've been putting parts on the K2. I should have it pretty much built by the end of the week.
    >
    > If I can get Anthony to bite on the 12hr. race then I will just go and watch! I'm not into much
    > racing but get caught up in it once in a while. We plan to put on a 6 or 12 hour event at Blora in
    > the spring.
    >
    > Cleanbean still doing it in Texas

If you can swing it, late June is when we traditionally have the reunion and some pretty grand
    riding. I'm gonna lobby for Sun Valley/Stanley area for our spring nw epic, which should be
    *quite* a treat.

I love them Razorbacks. I rode one for a few minutes after a race in Nevada. Loved the handling of
    it. Shot out like a rocket. And the front & rear shocks had that rare quality of seeming to work
    together, not against each other. Could almost convert me to double-boinging.

Paladin

15. Cleanbean

Cleanbean Guest

> "Cleanbean", still doing it in Texas,
    >
    > wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > >
    > >
    > > Hey C! I'm riding more Mtb then ever. Me and Margaret try to trade off
    with
    > > little Bean. Can you believe he is 14 months old already! I'm always looking for a window
    > > (possible weekend) to come up and ride that way.
    I'll
    > > be looking real close this spring. Its been raining the past few days
    here
    > > so I've been putting parts on the K2. I should have it pretty much
    built by
    > > the end of the week.
    > >
    > > If I can get Anthony to bite on the 12hr. race then I will just go and watch! I'm not into much
    > > racing but get caught up in it once in a
    while. We
    > > plan to put on a 6 or 12 hour event at Blora in the spring.
    > >
    > > Cleanbean still doing it in Texas
    >
    >
    > If you can swing it, late June is when we traditionally have the reunion and some pretty grand
    > riding. I'm gonna lobby for Sun Valley/Stanley area for our spring nw epic, which should be
    > *quite* a treat.
    >
    > I love them Razorbacks. I rode one for a few minutes after a race in Nevada. Loved the handling of
    > it. Shot out like a rocket. And the front & rear shocks had that rare quality of seeming to work
    > together, not against each other. Could almost convert me to double-boinging.
    >
    > Paladin

I actually landed a Razorback hardtail. It's as light as a feather. I'm marking my calendar for the
    end of June and may make a solo trip out that way. I want to climb some real mountains! (I may
    regret saying dat!)

Cleanbean

16. Paladin

Paladin Guest

> "Paladin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > "Cleanbean", still doing it in Texas,
    > >
    > > wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > > >
    > > >
    > > > Hey C! I'm riding more Mtb then ever. Me and Margaret try to trade off
    > with
    > > > little Bean. Can you believe he is 14 months old already! I'm always looking for a window
    > > > (possible weekend) to come up and ride that way.
    > I'll
    > > > be looking real close this spring. Its been raining the past few days
    > here
    > > > so I've been putting parts on the K2. I should have it pretty much
    > built by
    > > > the end of the week.
    > > >
    > > > If I can get Anthony to bite on the 12hr. race then I will just go and watch! I'm not into
    > > > much racing but get caught up in it once in a
    > while. We
    > > > plan to put on a 6 or 12 hour event at Blora in the spring.
    > > >
    > > > Cleanbean still doing it in Texas
    > >
    > >
    > > If you can swing it, late June is when we traditionally have the reunion and some pretty grand
    > > riding. I'm gonna lobby for Sun Valley/Stanley area for our spring nw epic, which should be
    > > *quite* a treat.
    > >
    > > I love them Razorbacks. I rode one for a few minutes after a race in Nevada. Loved the handling
    > > of it. Shot out like a rocket. And the front & rear shocks had that rare quality of seeming to
    > > work together, not against each other. Could almost convert me to double-boinging.
    > >
    > > Paladin
    >
    > I actually landed a Razorback hardtail. It's as light as a feather. I'm marking my calendar for
    > the end of June and may make a solo trip out that way. I want to climb some real mountains! (I may
    > regret saying dat!)
    >
    > Cleanbean

Awesome. you'll do fine, just the elevation kicks your butt the first hour or two. I ride at 3 to 5k
    every week, but when I get to 6-9k, it takes a half hour or so so adjust.

We'll keep you in the invite loop.

Paladin

17. Penny S

Penny S Guest

> "Cleanbean" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > "Paladin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > > "Cleanbean", still doing it in Texas,
    >> > > If you can swing it, late June is when we traditionally have the
    > > > reunion and some pretty grand riding. I'm gonna lobby for Sun Valley/Stanley area for our
    > > > spring nw epic, which should be *quite* a treat.
    > > >
    > > > I love them Razorbacks. I rode one for a few minutes after a race in Nevada. Loved the
    > > > handling of it. Shot out like a rocket. And the front & rear shocks had that rare quality of
    > > > seeming to work together, not against each other. Could almost convert me to double-boinging.
    > > >
    > > > Paladin
    > >
    > > I actually landed a Razorback hardtail. It's as light as a feather.
    I'm
    > > marking my calendar for the end of June and may make a solo trip out
    that
    > > way. I want to climb some real mountains! (I may regret saying dat!)
    > >
    > > Cleanbean
    >
    >
    > Awesome. you'll do fine, just the elevation kicks your butt the first hour or two. I ride at 3 to
    > 5k every week, but when I get to 6-9k, it takes a half hour or so so adjust.
    >
    > We'll keep you in the invite loop.
    >
    > Paladin

me too me too ( or does that go without saying??!!) You might not want an old granny like me along.
    I'm working on rounding up other NW females just for balance.

penny

18. Paladin

Paladin Guest

"penny s" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > > "Cleanbean" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > > "Paladin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > > "Cleanbean", still doing it in Texas,
    > >> > > If you can swing it, late June is when we traditionally have the
    > > > > reunion and some pretty grand riding. I'm gonna lobby for Sun Valley/Stanley area for our
    > > > > spring nw epic, which should be *quite* a treat.
    > > > >
    > > > > I love them Razorbacks. I rode one for a few minutes after a race in Nevada. Loved the
    > > > > handling of it. Shot out like a rocket. And the front & rear shocks had that rare quality of
    > > > > seeming to work together, not against each other. Could almost convert me to
    > > > > double-boinging.
    > > > >
    > > > > Paladin
    > > >
    > > > I actually landed a Razorback hardtail. It's as light as a feather.
    > I'm
    > > > marking my calendar for the end of June and may make a solo trip out
    > that
    > > > way. I want to climb some real mountains! (I may regret saying dat!)
    > > >
    > > > Cleanbean
    > >
    > >
    > > Awesome. you'll do fine, just the elevation kicks your butt the first hour or two. I ride at 3
    > > to 5k every week, but when I get to 6-9k, it takes a half hour or so so adjust.
    > >
    > > We'll keep you in the invite loop.
    > >
    > > Paladin
    >
    > me too me too ( or does that go without saying??!!) You might not want an old granny like me
    > along. I'm working on rounding up other NW females just for balance.
    >
    > penny

Penny, Penny, you're younger than me and I think all the NW epic riders last summer, and better
    looking, thank God, and a core member of the NW Epic Planning Team. We just have to coordinate it
    around the Freak's visit to Idaho, which tends to be the last part of June. Sun Valley's higher
    elevations can still have snow that time, but hopefully we can plan something over there, or even
    closer to you.

Paladin Watching the snow fall right now.... and singing, "It's beginning to look a lot like
    Christmas..."

19. Penny S

Penny S Guest

> "penny s" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > "Paladin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > > "Cleanbean" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > > > "Paladin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > > > "Cleanbean", still doing it in Texas,
    > > >> > > If you can swing it, late June is when we traditionally have the
    > > > > > reunion and some pretty grand riding. I'm gonna lobby for Sun Valley/Stanley area for our
    > > > > > spring nw epic, which should be
    *quite* a
    > > > > > treat.
    > > > > >
    > > > > > I love them Razorbacks. I rode one for a few minutes after a race
    in
    > > > > > Nevada. Loved the handling of it. Shot out like a rocket. And
    the
    > > > > > front & rear shocks had that rare quality of seeming to work
    together,
    > > > > > not against each other. Could almost convert me to
    double-boinging.
    > > > > >
    > > > > > Paladin
    > > > >
    > > > > I actually landed a Razorback hardtail. It's as light as a feather.
    > > I'm
    > > > > marking my calendar for the end of June and may make a solo trip out
    > > that
    > > > > way. I want to climb some real mountains! (I may regret saying
    dat!)
    > > > >
    > > > > Cleanbean
    > > >
    > > >
    > > > Awesome. you'll do fine, just the elevation kicks your butt the first hour or two. I ride at 3
    > > > to 5k every week, but when I get to 6-9k, it takes a half hour or so so adjust.
    > > >
    > > > We'll keep you in the invite loop.
    > > >
    > > > Paladin
    > >
    > > me too me too ( or does that go without saying??!!) You might not want
    an
    > > old granny like me along. I'm working on rounding up other NW females just for balance.
    > >
    > > penny
    >
    >
    > Penny, Penny, you're younger than me and I think all the NW epic riders last summer, and better
    > looking, thank God, and a core member of the NW Epic Planning Team. We just have to coordinate it
    > around the Freak's visit to Idaho, which tends to be the last part of June. Sun Valley's higher
    > elevations can still have snow that time, but hopefully we can plan something over there, or even
    > closer to you.
    >
    > Paladin Watching the snow fall right now.... and singing, "It's beginning to look a lot like
    > Christmas..."

A couple of things: first it's obvious that you aren't keeping up on things around here . Otherwise
    you might have caught that Cameron said I was " nice as somebody's grandma" (bwahahahaha) As for
    planning, I've already got it on the books, the hubby's coming along. Boating looks dismal so far
    for next year so he may either boat or ride, who knows. ( for those of you that are wondering,
    central Idaho is also a whitewater mecca ) Good hot springs, I may have to bring my dutch over and
    do dinner for y'all. Of course I know I am younger and better looking than most of (all?)of the
    team. I look better in lycra too.

penny

20. Cameron

Cameron Guest

"penny s" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >
    > news:b9df8744.0212101038.32e859[email protected]...

-snip-

> > Penny, Penny, you're younger than me and I think all the NW epic riders last summer, and better
    > > looking, thank God, and a core member

-snip-

> A couple of things: first it's obvious that you aren't keeping up on
    things
    > around here . Otherwise you might have caught that Cameron said I was "
    nice
    > as somebody's grandma" (bwahahahaha)

And you have never denied the observation or implicaton. ;-)

--
    Cameron

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.