St Christopher's Med College.

Discussion in 'Health and medical' started by Whuds, Feb 22, 2004.

  1. Whuds

    Whuds Guest

    Hi, I've been researching all my options for applying to med school next fall, and I've found St.
    Christopher's Medical College in Luton England. I've found out you can become lic in the US and
    thier clinicals are in the US. There seem to be loan programs for going there. The school is listed
    as being in Dakar Africa. It's a fairly new school. I'm considering haveing them on my list for
    apps. Does anyone have any other info about this college? Bill.

    Tags:

  2. Mike

    Mike Guest

    Foreign schools are a valid option. But I would only consider a program outside the U.S. if I
    couldn't get into an MD or DO program in the U.S. after several attempts.

    The most important issue is whether you'll be able to practice medicine in the U.S. after you
    graduate. This means passing the USMLE and getting into an AMA-approved residency in the U.S. Going
    strictly by the numbers, only about 50% of IMGs will pass the USMLE, and of those who pass, only
    about 50% will get into a residency in the U.S. This amounts to a success rate of 25%, if you attend
    medical school in another country. These numbers are the same for IMG students born in the U.S. as
    well as those who are foreign-born.

    Many foreign schools have their clinical rotations in the U.S., so this is not unique to the school
    you mention. Also, since it's a new school, you have no way to see what their success rate is on the
    USMLE or in getting their graduates into residencies.

    --
    Mike
    George Washington University School of Medicine

    "Whuds" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi, I've been researching all my options for applying to med school next
    > fall, and I've found St. Christopher's Medical College in Luton England.
    > I've found out you can become lic in the US and thier clinicals are in
    > the US. There seem to be loan programs for going there. The school is
    > listed as being in Dakar Africa. It's a fairly new school. I'm
    > considering haveing them on my list for apps. Does anyone have any other
    > info about this college?
    > Bill.

  3. Fin

    Fin Guest

    Some of the other issues you may want to consider are:

    - St. Chris (and Kigezi) is operating fully outside their
    country of charter. How state med boards will handle this
    in the future may affect your eventual licensure.

    - Currently graduates of St. Chris may not practice in ALL
    states. You should check and double-check the med board of
    the state you are interested in.

    - There are many other med schools outside USA and Canada
    that provides comparable education. You will need to ace
    your USMLE scores for a shot at competitive residencies.

    Hope this helps.

    "Mike" <[email protected]> wrote in news:rdudndZ0pJ76-aTdRVn-
    [email protected]: