I'm surprised with all the talk of spinning on the uphills at 80-90 cadence to see the pros doing a 30-40-50 cadence up the hills in this race. It's a 7/10ths of a mile climb, at 14% with sections of 18%, which isn't that long of a hill. Though I'd expect the pros to drop down to maybe 70rpm cadence, it's surprising to see them struggling to even get the pedals around. Seems to me they made a mistake in their gearing choices or something. ;-)
I'm surprised with all the talk of spinning on the uphills at 80-90 cadence to see the pros doing a 30-40-50 cadence up the hills in this race. It's a 7/10ths of a mile climb, at 14% with sections of 18%, which isn't that long of a hill. Though I'd expect the pros to drop down to maybe 70rpm cadence, it's surprising to see them struggling to even get the pedals around. Seems to me they made a mistake in their gearing choices or something. ;-)
"Michael Press" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:[email hidden]...
Quoted message said:
In article <[email hidden]>,
Jet said:
I'm surprised with all the talk of spinning on the uphills at 80-90 cadence to see the pros doing a 30-40-50 cadence up the hills in this race. It's a 7/10ths of a mile climb, at 14% with sections of 18%, which isn't that long of a hill. Though I'd expect the pros to drop down to maybe 70rpm cadence, it's surprising to see them struggling to even get the pedals around. Seems to me they made a mistake in their gearing choices or something. ;-)
I always get the impression that in a triathlon the best runner always wins; never the best swimmer or best cyclist.
-- Michael Press
I got the impression from watching that program that the idea of a "best cyclist" in a triathlon is like an oxymoron. Don't get me wrong. I know some of those guys are fast as hell and could beat my ass like a drum. But the cycling mechanics of most of those guys are just awful. And about the worst one was the guy who came off the bike leg in first place. It's like all these guys could be a good bit faster if they'd learn how to ride. (I know all about the differences between regular bikes, tri bikes and TT bikes. I know the tri guys look a bit different. But I thought the idea was that they were supposed to be pitched forward a bit more to stretch their hamstrings to help them on the run. Nearly all the guys on that program today had their saddles too low and weren't getting any extension at all. And some of them, despite aerobars, were sitting up like tourists.) -- Bob C.
"Of course it hurts. The trick is not minding that it hurts." T. E. Lawrence (of Arabia)
I always get the impression that in a triathlon the best runner always wins; never the best swimmer or best cyclist.
That's cuz they always do the running segment last, the pussies. If they did the swimming leg last and they outlawed rescues, not only would your impression be different but there'd be fewer damn triathlons.