St Kilda Road/Boulevard Bike Lane

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by MikeyOz, Oct 11, 2005.

  1. MikeyOz

    MikeyOz New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 12, 2003
    ok so I dont ride this stretch of road very much, but I headed down to the physio this morning and decided to utilise the bike lane heading out of the city, was about 8.30am, basically rode between Toorak Road and Belgium Beer Garden, the following is what I had to negotiate;

    • 2 people not looking before opening doors
    • I had to dodge my way around 5 taxis, either dropping off or picking up passengers while parked IN the bike lane.
    • 3 cars pulling out of driveways INTO the bike lane that had to be traversed around

    I have only ever watched them, but it felt like I was doing a trials course on a Road Bike

    Is this what it is like when ever you ride those bike lanes on St Kilda Road ?

    Tags:

  2. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    always like that in peakhour. altho the taxi and ped bit is 24/7...

  3. EuanB

    EuanB New Member

    Joined:
    Jan 11, 2005
    Pretty much. I don't use that road these days, I turn off at Ingles (?) which leads to Gray Street and then on to Ferrars / Canterbury. I find that a much more stress free ride.

  4. JayWoo

    JayWoo New Member

    Joined:
    Nov 8, 2004
    I find a lot of peds seem to think the bike lane is a footpath along St. Kilda rd. The taxi thing is very common too.

  5. Bean Long

    Bean Long Guest

    Sounds pretty typical and something to be aware of on every ride
    (unfortunately). Here in canberra I've lately been confronted with other
    cyclists riding in the wrong direction in a bike lane! Rarely parked cars
    and car doors though. Horses for courses I s'pose.

    --
    Bean 'avoidin' oncoming traffic'

    Remove "yourfinger" before replying
    "MikeyOz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > ok so I dont ride this stretch of road very much, but I headed down to
    > the physio this morning and decided to utilise the bike lane heading
    > out of the city, was about 8.30am, basically rode between Toorak Road
    > and Belgium Beer Garden, the following is what I had to negotiate;
    >

    > - 2 people not looking before opening doors
    > - I had to dodge my way around 5 taxis, either dropping off or
    > picking up passengers while parked IN the bike lane.
    > - 3 cars pulling out of driveways INTO the bike lane that had to be
    > traversed around
    >

    > I have only ever watched them, but it felt like I was doing a trials
    > course on a Road Bike
    >
    > Is this what it is like when ever you ride those bike lanes on St Kilda
    > Road ?
    >

    > --
    > MikeyOz

  6. aeek

    aeek New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 15, 2004
    aaagh, tonight every cyclist on my side of the road was riding the wrong way or running a red light - including the guy behind me twice, different guys, different lights.
    Not totally blameless myself, 63 in a 60 zone this morning.

  7. Cheezo

    Cheezo Guest

    I work on St Kilda Road and am a keen cyclist... however every week i
    see countless cyclists simply ignoring red lights and just blasting
    right through them... maybe the courtesy needs some work on both sides
    of the fence...

    MikeyOz wrote:
    > ok so I dont ride this stretch of road very much, but I headed down to
    > the physio this morning and decided to utilise the bike lane heading
    > out of the city, was about 8.30am, basically rode between Toorak Road
    > and Belgium Beer Garden, the following is what I had to negotiate;
    >

    > - 2 people not looking before opening doors
    > - I had to dodge my way around 5 taxis, either dropping off or
    > picking up passengers while parked IN the bike lane.
    > - 3 cars pulling out of driveways INTO the bike lane that had to be
    > traversed around
    >

    > I have only ever watched them, but it felt like I was doing a trials
    > course on a Road Bike
    >
    > Is this what it is like when ever you ride those bike lanes on St Kilda
    > Road ?

  8. Bleve

    Bleve Guest

    MikeyOz wrote:
    > ok so I dont ride this stretch of road very much, but I headed down to
    > the physio this morning and decided to utilise the bike lane heading
    > out of the city, was about 8.30am, basically rode between Toorak Road
    > and Belgium Beer Garden, the following is what I had to negotiate;
    >

    > - 2 people not looking before opening doors
    > - I had to dodge my way around 5 taxis, either dropping off or
    > picking up passengers while parked IN the bike lane.
    > - 3 cars pulling out of driveways INTO the bike lane that had to be
    > traversed around

    You did well! normally I'd expect at least twice that
    amount of "action" :)

    > Is this what it is like when ever you ride those bike lanes on St Kilda
    > Road ?

    yep.

  9. Bleve

    Bleve Guest

    MikeyOz wrote:
    > ok so I dont ride this stretch of road very much, but I headed down to
    > the physio this morning and decided to utilise the bike lane heading
    > out of the city, was about 8.30am, basically rode between Toorak Road
    > and Belgium Beer Garden, the following is what I had to negotiate;
    >

    > - 2 people not looking before opening doors
    > - I had to dodge my way around 5 taxis, either dropping off or
    > picking up passengers while parked IN the bike lane.
    > - 3 cars pulling out of driveways INTO the bike lane that had to be
    > traversed around

    You did well! normally I'd expect at least twice that
    amount of "action" :)

    > Is this what it is like when ever you ride those bike lanes on St Kilda
    > Road ?

    yep.

  10. MikeyOz

    MikeyOz New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 12, 2003
    oh yeah well I did not mention that, whenever I do ride down there, it seems "most" riders assume it is their right because they are cyclist to ride through a red light. And I guess I hate to stereo-type but it is usually, the clapped out bike, backpack almost touching the back wheel, cant ride a straight line and they just meander through the red light without a care in the world, I guess Darwins theory always eventually works one way or the other.

  11. coowoowoo

    coowoowoo New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 27, 2004
    And I guess I hate to stereo-type but it is usually, the clapped out bike, backpack almost touching the back wheel, cant ride a straight line and they just meander through the red light without a care in the world, I guess Darwins theory always eventually works one way or the other.

    I ride up and down st kilda rd most days and the door openings/taxi issues are common. You learn to try and anticipate that if someone is sitting in a car or there is a taxi anywhere on the road that they may cut you off or fling doors open. Its defensive cycling. It's a shame to ride that way but its better to get somewhere in one piece.

    In my experience the red light runners are a real mix of plodders and slick road cyclists. If you catch me on a bad day, you will even hear me have words to them about running the lights. Gives the rest of us a bad name. Just like motorists i guess. There are always a minority that just shouldnt drive.

    Oh, and i also had to contend with a guy rollerblading along st kilda rd and another bloke using his two dogs as a sled all the way from the city to east st kilda. I was dragging off his dogs to get in front of them at the lights as he insists on having about a 6 metre dragging lead.

  12. Bean Long

    Bean Long Guest

    You're in CBR aren't you aeek? Are you travelling on Northbourne with
    people going the wrong way in bike lanes?? That's shockin!

    --
    Bean

    Remove "yourfinger" before replying
    "aeek" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > Bean Long Wrote:
    > >
    > > Here in canberra I've lately been confronted with other cyclists riding
    > > in the wrong direction in a bike lane!
    > >

    > aaagh, tonight every cyclist on my side of the road was riding the
    > wrong way or running a red light - including the guy behind me twice,
    > different guys, different lights.
    > Not totally blameless myself, 63 in a 60 zone this morning.
    >

    > --
    > aeek

  13. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    I was behind him thru town last night! (before heading along river to BUG meeting)

    It was both bloody brilliant and idiotic all at the same time!
    He was casually slurpin down a m ilkshake in one hand, holding leashes in other, leather jacket, bad-hair-day-head and 'somehow' in control of it all!

    They were REALLY quick too! damn fit fido's :D

  14. coowoowoo

    coowoowoo New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 27, 2004

    Yes, i know exactly how quick those doggies are, hence the dragging them at the lights. I've seen him laden with shopping bags wearing his trade mark "nqr" grin. You are right though.. I am not sure if he is brilliant or idiotic or both? All i know is that i have to pedal damn fast and long to overtake him and his dogs along st kilda rd.

  15. aeek

    aeek New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 15, 2004
    yes CBR: Aranda - Woden, I only commute north on Northbourne (going home).
    I've only seen wrong way riders there on the other side. Legal footpath right next to them.

    Last night they were on Yarra Glen, somewhat understandable as the bikelanes disappear at the big T-roundabout,
    and most freak at turning right onto Melrose. I manage but usually hookturn from the footpath that only starts there.
    They really should get the new bikemap and check their options.

    Bean, you (turning) 35? http://www.actvets.cc

  16. hemyd

    hemyd Guest

    "MikeyOz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > ok so I dont ride this stretch of road very much, but I headed down to
    > the physio this morning and decided to utilise the bike lane heading
    > out of the city, was about 8.30am, basically rode between Toorak Road
    > and Belgium Beer Garden, the following is what I had to negotiate;
    >

    > - 2 people not looking before opening doors
    > - I had to dodge my way around 5 taxis, either dropping off or
    > picking up passengers while parked IN the bike lane.
    > - 3 cars pulling out of driveways INTO the bike lane that had to be
    > traversed around
    >

    > I have only ever watched them, but it felt like I was doing a trials
    > course on a Road Bike
    >
    > Is this what it is like when ever you ride those bike lanes on St Kilda
    > Road ?
    >

    > --
    > MikeyOz

    At work we call that 'BAU' - business as usual. It's especially bad when the
    full moon is out.

    Oh, and you didn't cop any courier vans??

    Henry.

  17. dave

    dave Guest

    Cheezo wrote:
    > I work on St Kilda Road and am a keen cyclist... however every week i
    > see countless cyclists simply ignoring red lights and just blasting
    > right through them... maybe the courtesy needs some work on both sides
    > of the fence...

    Was at the corner of Church and Bridge tonight for about 20 mins at
    about 5. Counted red light runners. Really blatent ones. 7 cars
    1motorbike. No pushbikes. One of the cars.. stopped for the amber and
    then drove thru the red.

    Dave

  18. Bean Long

    Bean Long Guest

    Aranda - Woden via Northbourne! Is the path around the lake too bumpy or
    just not long enough to stretch your legs!

    Where the south-bound bike lane ends at the big Yamba, Yarra Glen, Melrose
    confound-about I often see cyclists switch over to the city-bound side to
    get back onto the path. Scary to watch at 'peak hour'. It'd be nice if
    there was a safe way to get back onto the path there. I have to ride up
    Yamba to the lights on Launceston and head back into Woden. No big deal but
    it does look as though they just stopped the bike lane and left people with
    nowhere to go.

    Turning 35? Jeesh, now that I think about it, I'm not far off! I've
    briefly considered signing up with a club (now that I have my new shiny
    TCR2!!!) but am strictly commuter for the short term. I'm sure I'd need to
    do some BR's to learn a few tricks first... like how to avoid your fellow
    cyclist in a bunch! I've been a solo cyclist all my life. Nonetheless the
    idea appeals to me a little. I'll think about it and do something... when I
    finally get to 35! Having two young boys makes me feel 45... does that give
    me early entry into the vets?

    --
    Bean