St. Kilda to Newport (Melbourne) commute route?

midtoad

May 17, 2005
I'll be visiting Melbourne in a couple of days, and want to know whether it's feasible to cycle commute between St.Kilda and Newport. Any suggestions on a good route, and how long it would take?

Thanks
S

midtoad said:
I'll be visiting Melbourne in a couple of days, and want to know whether it's feasible to cycle commute between St.Kilda and Newport. Any suggestions on a good route, and how long it would take?

Thanks
S
It's not that far, unfortunatly you can't cross the yarra any further downstream than just west of the CBD. So you have to ride north to footscray road, east to docklands, then south-east to St Kilda.

The exception to this is on weekends, when a pedestrian+bike ferry runs under the west gate bridge.

A map is available at http://www.whereis.com/whereis/mapping/zoomMap.do?mapIndex=0&brandId=1&level=5

SomeGuy said:
It's not that far, unfortunatly you can't cross the yarra any further downstream than just west of the CBD
That's good to know for sure, because one map I looked at showed a line crossing the river right near the freeway bridge - must be the weekend access.

Looks like the trip is feasible, though, and it will sure beat having to commute by rental car each day.

Thanks for the info.

Mate of mine rides from Yarraville (near Newport) down the footscray rd, beach road route to St Kilda daily. About 1/2 hour.

nitrous said:
Mate of mine rides from Yarraville (near Newport) down the footscray rd, beach road route to St Kilda daily. About 1/2 hour.
Your mate must be on a road bike! or in good shape.

My trip from Toorak Road in South Yarra to Newport took about 40 min. My route was through the botanical gardens, along Southbank, cross the beautiful Webb ped. bridge, then along the edge of Docklands, up Footscray Rd. until the Maribyrnong R. bridge, then next left and south a couple of blocks, jog one block west via the park in Yarraville, then south on the next road to Newport.

I was amazed and encouraged by the vast numbers of cyclists in Melbourne. After a week of cycle commuting, I was pumped up enough to take my rental bike out and do Around the Bay in a Day. Since it's winter and the days are short, I got a little train help down to Geelong, then rode the Bellarine Rail Trail 40 km to Queenscliff, took the ferry across, then rode the coastal road 90 km back up to St. Kilda. Worst part was the long Nepean Highway north of Frankston - I didn't know you could do most of that section along the beach.