St Lawrence Valley...great cycling!

Discussion in 'rec.bicycles.rides archive' started by Velonut, Apr 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Velonut

Velonut Guest

Cycling the St Lawrence is one of the undiscovered jewels of North America. Both the New York and
    Ontario sides have plenty to offer. Together they are unbeatable.

On the New York side you have a paved shoulder all the way from Rouse's Point to Cape Vincent. I
    have ridden every inch of it & it is a delight. the biggest downer is the wind which is rather
    constant from west to east.

For instance, what would take 3 days against the wind going upriver on the NY side could be done in
    about 1 day coming down river with the on the Canadian side.

One annual tour of the Canton (NY) Bicycle Club is the Kingston overnight. They start in Alexandria
    Bay, ride to Cape Vincent, take the ferry to Kingston and stay overnight at Queen's University and
    then ride eastbound Ontario 2 thru Gananoque (great bakeries!) back to the Alex Bay bridge. Total
    distance of less than 80 miles.

The various bridges (Alex Bay, Ogdensburg & Massena) make for nice segments. There is also good
    cycling between the river and Ottawa.

Whereas on the New York side you have vast stretches of deserted back roads and hours of
    uninterrupted cycling, on the Canadian side you have almost wall to wall settlements, plenty of
    German bakeries, and a well developed bicycle tourist infrastructure. You will also have a paved
    shoulder and bike path all the way from Kingston to Brockville.

My all time favorite overnight stopover is Kingston, Ontario, very friendly and clean.

It was always my impression that the drivers in that region on both sides of the river were
    bike friendly.

Hope this helps.

Dale Lally Pompano Beach FL Canton (NY) Bicycle Club South Broward Wheelers (Ft Lauderdale)

Regards from the Velo Nut

Dale V Lally Jr W0OWF Pompano Beach FL [email protected]

Tags:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.