St. Louis cyclists arrested by police on "bicycle license" and "impeding traffic" pretexts

Brent Hugh

Guest
A group of bicycling puppeteers in Tower Grove Park Friday were stopped, arrested, handcuffed, taken
to a nearby police station, processed, and held for six hours, according to a story in today's St.
Louis Post-Dispatch: http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/news/stories.nsf/news/2020446AF1E9C94E86256D2-
9001734D0?OpenDocument&highlight=2%2Cbicycle&headline=In+town+for+protest,+cyclists+are+arrested.

Below is my comment on the incident, posted online (with some additional links that don't survive
the translation to plain text) at

http://mobikefed.org/2003_05_01_newsarchive.html#200305193

The reason given by police for the initial arrest was that bicyclists over the age of twelve years
need a license to operate in St. Louis.

After being held by police for about six hours the "bicycling without a license" pretext was
dropped. The cyclists were charged with impeding traffic and released.

The "bicycle circus" is one group of many in St. Louis this week to protest at the World
Agriculture Forum.

Although these arrests were directed at protesters--and are undoubtedly part of the police's plan to
break up such protests, using whatever legal pretexts are necessary--the use of bicycle-related laws
to harass these cyclists must be seen by Missouri bicyclists as extremely disturbing.

St. Louis had a bicycle license requirement until about two years ago when it was repealed; no St.
Louis-area bicyclist today has a bicycle license and police could use the excuse of "riding without
a bicycle license" to arrest anyone on the street on a bicycle.

Although St. Louis has rescinded its bicycle license requirement, some other Missouri
cities--Columbia, for instance--still have bicycle license provisions on the books. Such provisions
are practically unknown to police and cyclists alike, but incidents like the one Friday show the
potential of such discriminatory laws to increase police harrassment of bicyclists.

The charge of "impeding traffic" is even more problematic for Missouri bicyclists. This excuse can
be used by police to stop any bicyclist--and particularly, any group of bicyclists--at any time.
Furthermore, St. Louis's "impeding traffic" law is clearly written so as not to apply to bicyclists:

No person shall operate a motor vehicle in such a way as to impede the normal and reasonable
movement of traffic.

Furthermore, Missouri cities are required to pass laws which are not in conflict with state laws.
The Missouri state law on impeding traffic is this:

No person shall drive a motor vehicle at such a slow speed as to impede or block the normal and
reasonable movement of traffic, except when reduced speed is necessary for safe operation or in
compliance with law. (RSMo 304.011.1)

Certainly riding a bicycle at its normal operational speed is required for its "safe operation" even
if it can somehow be considered to be a "motor vehicle".

Missouri does not have a sterling record in regard to providing equal protection under the law for
bicyclists and pedestrians. Too often, motorists who recklessly or carelessly cause serious injury
to pedestrians and cyclists--or even kill them--are let off with little more than a slap on the
wrist. Bicyclists calling police to report road rage incidents against them have been too often
ignored or ridiculed. In at least one incident, the bicyclist had charges brought against him,
rather than the assaulting motorist.

This latest discriminatory application of traffic laws against a group of bicyclists can only do
more to undermine Missouri bicyclists' faith in due process and equal protection under the law.

The Missouri Bicycle Federation, the St. Louis Bicycle Federation, and other bicycle and pedestrian
groups around Missouri are working hard to create more equitable laws, to educate police,
prosecutors, and the public, and to bring disturbing incidents such as this one to the public's
attention so that remedies may be found.

Friday's incident shows clearly that much more such work is needed in Missouri.

--Brent Hugh Missouri Bicycle Federation www.MoBikeFed.org bhugh *at* mwsc.edu

Brent Hugh wrote:
> Friday's incident shows clearly that much more such work is needed in Missouri.
>
> --Brent Hugh Missouri Bicycle Federation

Nobody hassles me. Of course I'm not trying to be a public nuisance.
--
Ron Hardin [email protected]

> Friday's incident shows clearly that much more such work is needed in Missouri.

Friday's incedent shows clearly that somebody needs to launch an unlawful arrest Law$uit...

[email protected] (Brent Hugh) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

> This latest discriminatory application of traffic laws against a group of bicyclists can only do
> more to undermine Missouri bicyclists' faith in due process and equal protection under the law.

I think it's safe to say that the cyclists in question weren't bona fide transportational cyclists.

To say that these were just honest cyclists getting from point A to point B is disingenuous. They
are a "bicycle circus." Their very essence is to use as much of the roadway as possible while
riding and performing. They would have made a colourful show, a political statement--and a public
nuisance, with regard to their rendering the roadways impassable to any other traffic,
bicycle-borne or otherwise.

Were the protesters driving SUVs at 8 mph and blaring their message through bullhorns, blocking
lanes of traffic, nobody would be kicking up a fuss. They would have been ticketed, and quite
rightly, too, for blocking traffic.

But now since they're cyclists, we are supposed to unite and defend them? Sorry, I don't buy that.

Veloborne MASShole protesters certainly do *not* make my life as an individual transportational
cyclist much easier. They unnecessarily antagonize the authorities and other road-users. They have
made the bicycle into a vehicle of protests, and thereby run the risk of having the bicycle
marginalized in the minds of most people as merely a protester's vehicle and not "real transport."
The rage they stir up in motorists collectively is taken out on innocent, law-abiding cyclists
individually.

I would defend them on the bicycle-licence charge, on the basis that they ought not have been
arrested, charged, and held on the basis of a law that was no longer in force. I would, however, be
disinclined to support their defense in the traffic-impedance charge.

-Luigi

PS: I have already prepared my confession for the inevitable biketivist show trial. I
append it below:

Comrades, I stand before you a victim of the false consciousness of civil society. I cannot show
proper solidarity with the prisoners. I cannot embrace their suffering as part of my own, cannot
equate their struggle with my own. I still believe in equal access to the public rights-of-way,
under democratically-enacted laws. You may accuse me--and you would be correct in doing so--of
betraying our revolutionary cause. I stand so accused, and I do so confess.

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (Brent Hugh) writes:

> Although these arrests were directed at protesters--and are undoubtedly part of the police's plan
> to break up such protests, using whatever legal pretexts are necessary--the use of bicycle-related
> laws to harass these cyclists must be seen by Missouri bicyclists as extremely disturbing.

Good publicity for the protesters, though -- with whose cause I sympathize. Especially after
following your St. Louis P-D link, and then Googling on "world agriculture forum protest".

In one way, it sux that cycling gets singled-out for visible oppression. But in another way, it's
sort of ... beatiful.

cheers, Tom