St Matthew Academy Cycle Parking

Tom Crispin

Guest
Some of you may rcall that I blew the whistle of a new secondary
school, which, before opening, pulled up its 238 place cycle park
located at the front of the building, and replaced it with 24 cycle
lockers and parking for mini busses, relocating a few of the Sheffield
stands to the car park at the read of the building in order to prevent
cars parking on the walkway. The site at the front of the building is
overlooked by the school's reception and main hall. The relocated
stands in the car park are not overlooked by any window.

The school's principle famously posted, in this newsgroup, "The
original site was tucked away at the front of the building."

Here is an update on what's going on...

(Sue Luxton is the only Green Party Councillor on Lewisham Council and
is championing the cause.)

====================

Dear Councillor Luxton

Further to our letter to you of 11th March 2008, below is an update as
promised.

A meeting was arranged between two of our Planning Officers and Monica
Cross, the Principal of St, Mathew's Academy. At the meeting, it
emerged that the Principal had some reservations about some aspects of
the development, partly because she had not been involved in the
design process. One example was in the provision of the cycle parking
facilities, which staff and students felt were not properly protected
and lacked natural surveillance. The Academy has removed the cycle
hoops and replaced them with a fewer number of cycle lockers, but the
hoops have been retained and some have already been relocated
elsewhere at the site. The minibuses that are parked at the front of
the site could be relocated if necessary, and more cycle lockers are
to be provided in due course.

Planning Officers informed Ms. Cross of the cycle parking that was
approved as part of the original planning approval and also secured by
condition and also through the requirement of a Green Travel Plan. Ms.
Cross was also advised that alterations to the cycle parking would
require a planning application to vary or delete that condition. As
the Principal had not been supplied with them, a copy of the original
planning permission and Section 106 legal agreement were given to her.
Officers told Ms. Cross to establish how the Academy wished to respond
to the requirements of the condition so that a way forward could be
agreed. She was also aware of what was required to discharge
outstanding conditions on the planning permission and to let officers
know if further changes were planned elsewhere on site.

The Principal has accepted that permission should have been sought and
has stressed that the changes that have occurred are not anti-cycle,
but are intended to promote a greater use than currently exists. It
would appear that a satisfactory outcome can be achieved, though
further discussions are likely for this to be delivered. I will let
you know once I have received more information.

Yours sincerely

Malcolm Smith
Executive Director for Regeneration

====================

On Sun, 20 Apr, Tom Crispin <> wrote:
[reporting a report of a meeting]

> Planning Officers informed Ms. Cross of the cycle parking that was
> approved as part of the original planning approval and also secured
> by condition and also through the requirement of a Green Travel
> Plan. Ms. Cross was also advised that alterations to the cycle
> parking would require a planning application to vary or delete that
> condition. As the Principal had not been supplied with them, a
> copy of the original planning permission and Section 106 legal
> agreement were given to her.

Just in case anyone is wondering, subject to my previous caveat that I
am not a planning system professional, this is not advice, I may be
making it all up, etc, etc, etc:

A section 106 is a legally binding agreement entered into by a
developer as part of negotiations with the planners. It says that the
developer will do something in order to secure some benefit that makes
the scheme acceptable, but which could not be imposed by means of
conventional planning conditions. It's things like paying for a new
children's playground down the road.

I'm not sure what it might have been here, since the provision of the
cycle parking was subject of a condition, so would presumably not of
itself need a section 106. Possibly it's about something else, but
having had the school disregard the cycle parking condition, the
planners thought they'd highlight it while they were there.

It should come up in a planning history search. I didn't find one
when I looked, but that may be a deficiency in my use of their online
planning records system, or that their online system does not give you
all the planning history. A member of the public could go into the
planning department and ask to see it...

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|

On 20 Apr 2008 21:20:19 GMT, Ian Smith <[email protected]> wrote:

>On Sun, 20 Apr, Tom Crispin <> wrote:
>[reporting a report of a meeting]
>
>> Planning Officers informed Ms. Cross of the cycle parking that was
>> approved as part of the original planning approval and also secured
>> by condition and also through the requirement of a Green Travel
>> Plan. Ms. Cross was also advised that alterations to the cycle
>> parking would require a planning application to vary or delete that
>> condition. As the Principal had not been supplied with them, a
>> copy of the original planning permission and Section 106 legal
>> agreement were given to her.

>Just in case anyone is wondering, subject to my previous caveat that I
>am not a planning system professional, this is not advice, I may be
>making it all up, etc, etc, etc:
>
>A section 106 is a legally binding agreement entered into by a
>developer as part of negotiations with the planners. It says that the
>developer will do something in order to secure some benefit that makes
>the scheme acceptable, but which could not be imposed by means of
>conventional planning conditions. It's things like paying for a new
>children's playground down the road.
>
>I'm not sure what it might have been here, since the provision of the
>cycle parking was subject of a condition, so would presumably not of
>itself need a section 106. Possibly it's about something else, but
>having had the school disregard the cycle parking condition, the
>planners thought they'd highlight it while they were there.
>
>It should come up in a planning history search. I didn't find one
>when I looked, but that may be a deficiency in my use of their online
>planning records system, or that their online system does not give you
>all the planning history. A member of the public could go into the
>planning department and ask to see it...

My understanding is that it was a planning condition that the cycle
park was built and that it could only be altered by a further planning
application.

The school is clearly in breach of the planning consent.

Tom Crispin wrote:
> On 20 Apr 2008 21:20:19 GMT, Ian Smith <[email protected]> wrote:
>>A section 106 is a legally binding agreement entered into by a
>>developer as part of negotiations with the planners. It says that the
>>developer will do something in order to secure some benefit that makes
>>the scheme acceptable, but which could not be imposed by means of
>>conventional planning conditions. It's things like paying for a new
>>children's playground down the road....

> My understanding is that it was a planning condition that the cycle
> park was built and that it could only be altered by a further planning
> application.

Yes, it sounds like a condition of the planning permission, nothing to
do with Section 106. If a Section 106 agreement were required, a
planning condition would state this, but the agreement would be separate.

> The school is clearly in breach of the planning consent.

Yes. As you say, they must either fulfil the condition, or make a
planning application to try to get it removed.

It sounds like your borough did a good job forcing the school
developer to provide properly for cycling. Most new schools these days
are PFI (Private Finance Initiative), and the developers are unlikely
to do anything for cycling unless forced to - and not always then, as
your example shows!

Colin McKenzie

--
No-one has ever proved that cycle helmets make cycling any safer at
the population level, and anyway cycling is about as safe per mile as

"Colin McKenzie" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> It sounds like your borough did a good job forcing the school developer to
> provide properly for cycling. Most new schools these days are PFI (Private
> Finance Initiative), and the developers are unlikely to do anything for
> cycling unless forced to - and not always then, as your example shows!

All of the PFI schools that are being built in Bradford have to accommodate
the needs of cyclists. I know my school is getting two lockable compounds,
one for the staff and one for the pupils. nThe car parking provision has
also been reduced.

On Sun, 20 Apr 2008, Tom Crispin <> wrote:
> On 20 Apr 2008 21:20:19 GMT, Ian Smith <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >I'm not sure what it might have been here, since the provision of the
> >cycle parking was subject of a condition, so would presumably not of
> >itself need a section 106. Possibly it's about something else, but
> >having had the school disregard the cycle parking condition, the
> >planners thought they'd highlight it while they were there.

> My understanding is that it was a planning condition that the cycle
> park was built and that it could only be altered by a further planning
> application.

It was - I quoted it previously. I'm now just curious what the 106
referred to.

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig