St. Paddy's Day..

MountainPro

Aug 11, 2004
What are you folks doing to celebrate St Patrick's day?

the wifey and i are off down our local to partake of a light refreshment or twenty.

we have this pub owned by a Belfast lad...always shows the Celtic games (nothing to do with basketball for the ignorant) and got some good bands in there of a night.

did you know that St Patricks Day is known internationally as an American celebration?...no mention of the Emerald Isle...as you yanks say 'go figure'

Tiochaidh Ar La...as they say in the east end of Glasgow..

Beannachtaí na Féile Phádraig ort. Tá suil agam ni raibh do cloigeann ro-mhor maidin de h-Aoine!

MountainPro said:
What are you folks doing to celebrate St Patrick's day?

the wifey and i are off down our local to partake of a light refreshment or twenty.

we have this pub owned by a Belfast lad...always shows the Celtic games (nothing to do with basketball for the ignorant) and got some good bands in there of a night.

did you know that St Patricks Day is known internationally as an American celebration?...no mention of the Emerald Isle...as you yanks say 'go figure'

Tiochaidh Ar La...as they say in the east end of Glasgow..

Some of the neighbors are coming over for Cornbeef & Cabbage and a few brews.

Did you hear about the lad that fell into a vat of Guiness and drowned.
His grieveing widow remarked "I hope he went quickly and didn't suffer"
A witness remarked "not really, he had to climb out three times to ****".

Happy Saint Patties Day

jhuskey said:
Some of the neighbors are coming over for Cornbeef & Cabbage and a few brews.

Did you hear about the lad that fell into a vat of Guiness and drowned.
His grieveing widow remarked "I hope he went quickly and didn't suffer"
A witness remarked "not really, he had to climb out three times to ****".

Happy Saint Patties Day
What? No sheet of bacon ribs, and mashed potatos with the cabbage.

FredC said:

No, but I think we are having some Irish Bread.
Ok one more Irish story.

Two Irish lads were sitting in a pub. One looks at the other and says "You look familiar,where ya from".

"I am from Dublin" he says "your jokin ,"I'm from Dublin, Bartender another round"

"Wherd ya go to school" I went to Saint Mary's" ...."Your a liar man I went to Saint Mary's" "Bartender another round"

"What would be your name" "O'Malley"...... "O'Malley" ? "That's my name"

"Barkeep another round on me"

Another local wanders in and ask the bartender if anything is going on.
The bartender remarks " Nah, just the O'Malley twins, drunk again!

St. Patrick's Day is mostly a joke (in a good way) here in US. People wear green clothes and talk in fake Irish accents (Lim would probably cringe although I think mine's not too bad, if a little exagerated... sort of a combination Leprachaun/ drunk priest). We eat food that's supposedly Irish (soda bread, potatoes, and hash), the green beer thing has mostly given way to Guinness (yum) and Harp (yuck) so that's a good change.

It's very inclusive though - anybody can pretend to be Irish for a day no matter what their race or ethnicity. Sort of a celebration of what Irish immigrants (and there have been a LOT of them) have contributed to this country, without getting too serious. It's a fun holiday.

Today after work we're having a company contest to see who can write the best Limerick! Guinness and Harp provided as a perq. Also some of the parents have girls in Irish dancing classes that come and perform.

There should be such a fun celebration for the Scottish of heritage - but St. Andrew's day would probably be something that required going to church.

FredC said:
Hey Fred, I attached a photo for Lim to frame. Seems his prime minister would rather be sitting with bush than celebrating back in his own country...Them there shamrocks sure are pretty....

DiabloScott said:
St. Patrick's Day is mostly a joke (in a good way) here in US. People wear green clothes and talk in fake Irish accents (Lim would probably cringe although I think mine's not too bad, if a little exagerated... sort of a combination Leprachaun/ drunk priest). We eat food that's supposedly Irish (soda bread, potatoes, and hash), the green beer thing has mostly given way to Guinness (yum) and Harp (yuck) so that's a good change.

It's very inclusive though - anybody can pretend to be Irish for a day no matter what their race or ethnicity. Sort of a celebration of what Irish immigrants (and there have been a LOT of them) have contributed to this country, without getting too serious. It's a fun holiday.

Today after work we're having a company contest to see who can write the best Limerick! Guinness and Harp provided as a perq. Also some of the parents have girls in Irish dancing classes that come and perform.

There should be such a fun celebration for the Scottish of heritage - but St. Andrew's day would probably be something that required going to church.

Many communities of the US conduct "Highland Games" a lot of Scot activities with bagpipes and kilt. Also good fun if you don't get a hernia.

jhuskey said:
No, but I think we are having some Irish Bread.
Ok one more Irish story.

Two Irish lads were sitting in a pub. One looks at the other and says "You look familiar,where ya from".

"I am from Dublin" he says "your jokin ,"I'm from Dublin, Bartender another round"

"Wherd ya go to school" I went to Saint Mary's" ...."Your a liar man I went to Saint Mary's" "Bartender another round"

"What would be your name" "O'Malley"...... "O'Malley" ? "That's my name"

"Barkeep another round on me"

Another local wanders in and ask the bartender if anything is going on.
The bartender remarks " Nah, just the O'Malley twins, drunk again!
LOL, now that's a craicer.

jhuskey said:
Many communities of the US conduct "Highland Games" a lot of Scot activities with bagpipes and kilt. Also good fun if you don't get a hernia.
ON SAINT PATRICKS DAY ????????? You are peaking too early.

FredC said:
ON SAINT PATRICKS DAY ????????? You are peaking too early.

No not exactly but any excuse to have few brews... on second thought who needs an excuse.

DiabloScott said:

No oi won't b'havin ony o' dis talk in moi parish, 'ti shameful t' speak of corned beef 'ash... now den if y'want a green point tip a measure of blue curacao (bols) in a point of blond lager. It turns green.
Try this one for a winner.
There was a young lady from Nantes
Who fiddled in her pants
Her hole was so small, and no use at all
Except for the plume de ma tante.

Church??????? Jesus, they're only saints.

zapper said:
Hey Fred, I attached a photo for Lim to frame. Seems his prime minister would rather be sitting with bush than celebrating back in his own country...Them there shamrocks sure are pretty....
Have you got one with Gerry Adams and Bush. I thought that Bush was of French origin, but he doesn't seem to like them. Bouche (mouth) and Boucher (butcher).
Sounds about right. He has a way with words.

I'm an American of Norwegian Ancestry. Nothing makes me more militantly Norwegian than St. Patrick’s Day. The idea that I’m supposed to wear green and get drunk and be an honorary Irishman for the day, and speak in an accent that would make a real Irish person cringe…. . Nothing doing.

[font=&quot]I have no idea why I find it so annoying. But I do, and there you go. I’ll be out for a long bike ride in the country. I'll see you when it's all over.
[/font]

On st. patricks day I really get a kick out of coloring various body parts green

I dont think those ones mix well... :D

FredC said:
Have you got one with Gerry Adams and Bush. I thought that Bush was of French origin, but he doesn't seem to like them. Bouche (mouth) and Boucher (butcher).
Sounds about right. He has a way with words.
I read where St. Patrick's Day has religious significance over there :confused: Over here people get liquored up on green Killians Lager(?) & eat green food (food dye). I remember that time that the gays were excluded from the St Paddies Day parade on the grounds that they would give off the wrong impression :rolleyes: . Give me a break. Didn't make sense to me seeing as: how can a group of drunks staggering down the street wearing skirts & intermittently vomiting & getting into fights claim to exclude people because it might give off the wrong impression :confused: Sounded like your garden variety case of homophobia to me. My ancestry can be traced back to County Cork on my fathers side & England on my mothers side. Incidentally, read where Gerry Adams was dis invited from the White house due to the recent occurrences in the old country. I believe President Clinton (English ancestry as opposed to Bush's French ancestry) had Adams over for a stay. Ireland is doing good economically but, for the life of me, I would like to see the N. Ireland dispute settled.

It's hard to know why other countries feel the need to celebrate St Patricks Day.

There are a lot of Americans over here to celebrate it.
Watching the parade in Dublin yesterday - there were bands from Seattle, Florida, Willow Gorve in Pennsylvania, New York, Boston, South Carolina, Houston.
All people with Irish connections.
There were also bands from Italy, Ukraine, France, Basque Country, malaysia,
England, Wales, Scotland, Canada, Germany, Spain, Finland, Denmark.
It is amazing how many different nationalities there were at the parade.

Course, the traditional shamrock gift at the White House is played out each year.
Ahern giving Bush a bowl of shamrock.

Sinn Fein are getting a roasting at the moment.
Sign of the times though, Princess Royal handing out shamrock to Irish Guards
Regiment in London.
Setting the scene for a visit to Ireland for Queen Elizabeth perhaps ?

limerickman said:
Regiment in London.
this will be betty's first visit to the republic will it not? Yeah, the world has gone Irish mad....

i read somewhere that the second sexiest accent in the world was Irish (i wont mention the first :D )....was that the east coast, west coast, north or south i wonder...i my opinion you cannot beat a nice soft female Belfast accent...

There is a band called Joshua playing in our local alehouse tonight (U2 Tribute)...and since last night was cancelled i think i'll pop along there to check them out.

limerickman said:
It's hard to know why other countries feel the need to celebrate St Patricks Day.

There are a lot of Americans over here to celebrate it.
Watching the parade in Dublin yesterday - there were bands from Seattle, Florida, Willow Gorve in Pennsylvania, New York, Boston, South Carolina, Houston.
All people with Irish connections.
There were also bands from Italy, Ukraine, France, Basque Country, malaysia,
England, Wales, Scotland, Canada, Germany, Spain, Finland, Denmark.
It is amazing how many different nationalities there were at the parade.

Course, the traditional shamrock gift at the White House is played out each year.
Ahern giving Bush a bowl of shamrock.

Sinn Fein are getting a roasting at the moment.
Regiment in London.

Lim, I know you haven't admonished people for celebrating St. Patricks Day but let me comment.
If people want to have harmless fun so be it. If the bitter people of the world would loosen up and have a little fun maybe it would be a better world.
Every moment in life does not need to be a serious event.
You need not rape and pilage but it doesn't hurt to shout and laugh occassionally and if it be on St. Patricks then let the Irish be flattered by the thought.
Immitation is know to be the sincerest form of flattery after all.

jhuskey said:
Lim, I know you haven't admonished people for celebrating St. Patricks Day but let me comment.
If people want to have harmless fun so be it. If the bitter people of the world would loosen up and have a little fun maybe it would be a better world.
Every moment in life does not need to be a serious event.
You need not rape and pilage but it doesn't hurt to shout and laugh occassionally and if it be on St. Patricks then let the Irish be flattered by the thought.
Immitation is know to be the sincerest form of flattery after all.

I'm not knocking people for celebrating Patricks Day - it just amazes me that people from other countries do so !

I'm all for people going out and enjoying themselves - and I suppose it is a compliment that people outside of Ireland chose to do so on Patricks Day.

Dublin on the 4th July - celebrates your national holiday believe it or not !
People go round with star spangled top hats, bald eagles etc.
It's great that people feel that they can celebrate another country's national holiday.