St. Paddy's Day..

limerickman said:
You know why Patricks Day is the 17th ?

For Lent, a lot of people gave up alcohol for the six weeks of Lent.
It is rumoured that to give people some respite from being tee total, that they
decided to create a day when people could have a drink in the middle of Lent.
Thus 17th March was deemed to be Patricks Day.

I kid you not.
(and because Cheltenham is on at that time as well !)
Quite right.Nothing, but nothing is allowed to interfere with the holy green confraternity of Cheltenham, and all that drinking and gambling. The Paddys really do make it go with a rattle.
BTW I didn't know girls did clog dancing (Zapper) I think he might mean tap dancing a la Riverdance.

zapper said:
Lim, I'm glad Fred bailed you out of jail...So, what holidays do you celebrate? I took my daughter to clogging class last night and it was a field of "green" BTW her instructor Seamus is #3 in the nation. He pronounces his name "shamemus" I hope I have the correct spelling above..is that correct?

The thing with st. paddies day here is that there are many minorities that get to express their heritage here in the us...But there is no Irish American month here so...St Patricks day will have to do... :rolleyes:
Zapper, as a matter of great interest to me and all other Irish Traditionists, can you describe your daughters 'clogs'? For example, do they have wooden soles with leather uppers?

FredC said:
Zapper, as a matter of great interest to me and all other Irish Traditionists, can you describe your daughters 'clogs'? For example, do they have wooden soles with leather uppers?

We'll await Trampas explantion of Irish Clog dancing, with baited breath.

That Riverdance ensemble - were they wearing clogs Fred, when you went to see them ?
I suspect that they weren't.

FredC said:
Quite right.Nothing, but nothing is allowed to interfere with the holy green confraternity of Cheltenham, and all that drinking and gambling. The Paddys really do make it go with a rattle.
BTW I didn't know girls did clog dancing (Zapper) I think he might mean tap dancing a la Riverdance.

JP cleared a million, I hear, with a 250k bet last Tuesday.
Balls of steel, that man.

Good week at Cheltenham - Barry Geraghty brought home the winner.
Although Best Mate wasn't there.
Heard you could get odds of 1-1000 on Kicking King at one stage when Taafe
announced that he might race him if the horse recovered in time.

The footware is referred to as a brogue.
Not brogue a la Bing Crosbie playing Fr O'Malley in a Hollywood Oirish accent.

limerickman said:
JP cleared a million, I hear, with a 250k bet last Tuesday.
Balls of steel, that man.

Good week at Cheltenham - Barry Geraghty brought home the winner.
Although Best Mate wasn't there.
Heard you could get odds of 1-1000 on Kicking King at one stage when Taafe
announced that he might race him if the horse recovered in time.

That JP is sooo coooool (apols to BRF), he come unstuck on the Baracouda bet though, still he was punts in hand at the end of the four days. That Beef or Salmon ran a stinker, never in the race. Didn't like the good ground, needs more juice in it, and he doesn't like hills neither. The Irish did very well Paddy Mullin's thing won the Bumper again. My favourite old horse is Jessica Harrington and that four legged thing she trains Moscow Flyer ran a blinder in the Champion Hurdle. So I suppose they are all back home now, and on the wagon 'til next week. My ****.

FredC said:
We'll have to hold by for the moment on Zappers clogs. He could be right (for once) it has an interesting history in the southern states from the original Irish settlers from the mid 1800's onwards. Best let Zap Astaire speak first or we'll never hear the last of it. Anyway, one of his grannys is from Ireland, that's his Celtic Connection. I love Riverdance, and there were a lot of American dancers in the troop.

limerickman said:
good one, its a good job you explained that one coz some will be running for thier gaelic dictionaries trying to prove you wrong....

reminds me of Paddy Reilly.
'I cut a stoat black thorn to banish ghosts and goblins, in a pair of brand new of brogues, I rattled over the bogs, frightened all the dogs, on the rocky road to Dublin...'

fack le lar de dar...

as for the Seamus issue i have an uncle Seamus somewhere in the old country...never met the guy but his reputation is legendary....i know how the Irish pronounce it and i know how the yanks pronounce it...chalk and cheese.

MountainPro said:
good one, its a good job you explained that one coz some will be running for thier gaelic dictionaries trying to prove you wrong....

'I cut a stoat black thorn to banish ghosts and goblins, in a pair of brand new of brogues, I rattled over the bogs, frightened all the dogs, on the rocky road to Dublin...'

fack le lar de dar...

as for the Seamus issue i have an uncle Seamus somewhere in the old country...never met the guy but his reputation is legendary....i know how the Irish pronounce it and i know how the yanks pronounce it...chalk and cheese.
I'm still baffled about this corned beef thing, OK not everybody can get a sheet of bacon ribs, most end up in Liverpool, but surely they can boil a collar, or a piece of bacon shoulder with a couple of cloves, then when it's done take it out and put in the sliced cabbage, bring back to the boil for a few minutes, and drain. Save the liquid and allow to cool. When the liquid has cooled throw in some split yellow peas (lentils) and leave overnight. Simmer up the next day for 'Pea Wack' soup. Years ago I wrote a blinder for the Liverpool Echo about growing spring cabbage on Aintree Racecourse home of the World Famous Grand National Horserace, And the pigs truffle hunting on the banks of the River Mersey.

MountainPro said:

fack le lar de dar...

In Scotland - you guys were a pair of brogues, not dissimilar to the ones used
for traditional Irish dancing, when you wear your traditional kilts and sporan
(is that the correct spelling ? probably not).

They're the same footware - except the Irish dancing version is re-enforced
on the sole and heel, to take the impact when tapping like Riverdance.
There are two types of "tap" in Irishdancing.
"Jig" (tap) dance and/or "hornpipe" (tap) dance.
These are hard tap, Irish dances, and the girls would wear brogue footwear
to perform same (to tap).
The other Irish dance is called a "reel" dance.
This is a soft dance (no tap) and a soft leather shoe is worn (like a ballet type shoe).

Are you a kilt man, Pro ?
Formal occasions only I suppose, like weddings.

limerickman said:
In Scotland - you guys were a pair of brogues, not dissimilar to the ones used
for traditional Irish dancing, when you wear your traditional kilts and sporan
(is that the correct spelling ? probably not).

They're the same footware - except the Irish dancing version is re-enforced
on the sole and heel, to take the impact when tapping like Riverdance.
There are two types of "tap" in Irishdancing.
"Jig" (tap) dance and/or "hornpipe" (tap) dance.
These are hard tap, Irish dances, and the girls would wear brogue footwear
to perform same (to tap).
The other Irish dance is called a "reel" dance.
This is a soft dance (no tap) and a soft leather shoe is worn (like a ballet type shoe).

Are you a kilt man, Pro ?
Formal occasions only I suppose, like weddings.
I can see it all now at the registry office Rab C McPro and Mary Doll Buckfast exchanging blows ( surely Vows-Ed)

FredC said:
I can see it all now at the registry office Rab C McPro and Mary Doll Buckfast exchanging blows ( surely Vows-Ed)
very clever, for once zapper can claim truthfully that my screen is soaking wet, i just spat my Irn Bru at the screen when i read this post Fred...sterling work...

actually i have a pic of me in a kilt, when i dig it out later this week i'll post it here and you can all have a good laugh, my bros wedding in 1995.

Lim, we have reel dancing and that sort of thing, i dont know much about it but unfortunately we seem to hav ethis thing for Scottish Country Dancing....very embarassing, its all the Dashing white Seargent, the Gay Gordons and Highland Sco'teesh...with some mad Ceildh band givin it laldy in the corner. I am not an exponent of the dance myself. When you go to the highland gatherins you'll see the jig and reels and traditional dancers on stage probaly similar to your hornpipes that you mentioned but i have no idea...

yes, the kilt thing a pair of brogues, Scian Dhu and a glengarry. This is the only time you can legally go into a Scottish pub brandishing a knife...it has some perks..

MountainPro said:
very clever, for once zapper can claim truthfully that my screen is soaking wet, i just spat my Irn Bru at the screen when i read this post Fred...sterling work...

actually i have a pic of me in a kilt, when i dig it out later this week i'll post it here and you can all have a good laugh, my bros wedding in 1995.

Lim, we have reel dancing and that sort of thing, i dont know much about it but unfortunately we seem to hav ethis thing for Scottish Country Dancing....very embarassing, its all the Dashing white Seargent, the Gay Gordons and Highland Sco'teesh...with some mad Ceildh band givin it laldy in the corner. I am not an exponent of the dance myself. When you go to the highland gatherins you'll see the jig and reels and traditional dancers on stage probaly similar to your hornpipes that you mentioned but i have no idea...

yes, the kilt thing a pair of brogues, Scian Dhu and a glengarry. This is the only time you can legally go into a Scottish pub brandishing a knife...it has some perks..

Yep, I was at a wedding in Aberdeen some years back.
A guy I worked with married a Scottish girl and we went to the wedding and sure enough, all of the men were wearing kilts.
Kilts of their respective own clans, no less.

As regards the Irish dancing, I only know about it because my niece does it and is quite good at it (so I am told).

FredC said:
We'll have to hold by for the moment on Zappers clogs. He could be right (for once) it has an interesting history in the southern states from the original Irish settlers from the mid 1800's onwards. Best let Zap Astaire speak first or we'll never hear the last of it. Anyway, one of his grannys is from Ireland, that's his Celtic Connection. I love Riverdance, and there were a lot of American dancers in the troop.
I'm not an expert...its just seems like fun and good exercise...This team warms up to bob segars "that old time rock -n- roll...not too shabby but when they get into the bluegrass stuff, I have to go take a break...

zapper said:
I'm not an expert......
shut up, shut up, shut up....hands over ears....mmmmmmm i cant heaaar you...

for years youve drilled it into us that you are the walking equivalent of the encyclopeadia Britanicca.....dont shatter that illusion now!

FredC said:
I'm still baffled about this corned beef thing, OK not everybody can get a sheet of bacon ribs, most end up in Liverpool, but surely they can boil a collar, or a piece of bacon shoulder with a couple of cloves, then when it's done take it out and put in the sliced cabbage, bring back to the boil for a few minutes, and drain. Save the liquid and allow to cool. When the liquid has cooled throw in some split yellow peas (lentils) and leave overnight. Simmer up the next day for 'Pea Wack' soup. Years ago I wrote a blinder for the Liverpool Echo about growing spring cabbage on Aintree Racecourse home of the World Famous Grand National Horserace, And the pigs truffle hunting on the banks of the River Mersey.
Right, sorted now. Irish people normally had Bacon on St.Pats day, but at the turn of the century circa 1900 in New Yorks poverty district of Lower East side the price of bacon was beyond the pockets of the impoverished Irish immigrants.
However their equally impoverished Jewish neighbours were eating the cheap cut of salted brisket (corned beef). The Irish took this on board as an alternative and it has seemed that it spread to all parts of America as Traditional, which indeed it isn't. So let's have a back to bacon campaign.

Speaking of all things porcine, there is a phrase in Irish "ar muin na mhuice" which literally means on the pigs back and roughly means leading an easy/good life i.e. life of Riley. I've heard it derives from the fact that the meat off a pig's back is the choicest cut but I have no idea.

rothar said:
Speaking of all things porcine, there is a phrase in Irish "ar muin na mhuice" which literally means on the pigs back and roughly means leading an easy/good life i.e. life of Riley. I've heard it derives from the fact that the meat off a pig's back is the choicest cut but I have no idea.
Why not watch the 1971 film version of Dylan Thomas's 'Under Milkwood' with an illuminating cast led and read by the greatest of all readers Richard Burton. This visual metaphor should satisfy all the correct conceptions that you make.

MountainPro said:
shut up, shut up, shut up....hands over ears....mmmmmmm i cant heaaar you...

for years youve drilled it into us that you are the walking equivalent of the encyclopeadia Britanicca.....dont shatter that illusion now!
I'm not an expert when it comes to folk cloggin dancing to country bluegrass type music…However, when it comes to weapons of mass destruction, the right to life, home building, real estate and destructive weather…I’m the bomb….

I'm just a forthright honest guy that can admit areas I"m weak in...

zapper said:
I'm not an expert when it comes to folk cloggin dancing to country bluegrass type music…However, when it comes to weapons of mass destruction, the right to life, home building, real estate and destructive weather…I’m the bomb….

I'm just a forthright honest guy that can admit areas I"m weak in...
what about gas fired barbeques...are you admitting that you know fukall abotu that?

MountainPro said:
what about gas fired barbeques...are you admitting that you know fukall abotu that?
No...I am an expert when it comes to the grill...This goes without saying.....