Stabilisers

Danny Colyer

Guest
I'm a little surprised that I'm asking this, since I don't really believe in the things myself, but
does anyone know where to get a decent pair of stabilisers?

My sister has bought a bike for her daughter's birthday and wants a pair of stabilisers to go with
it. She says that if you buy a bike ready fitted with stabilisers then you get a nice tubular set,
but otherwise H*lf*rds & Toys'R'Us only sell stabilisers made from bent pressed metal with ****
wheels. She'd rather have a tubular set (which I'd expect to be stronger anyway).

(I haven't looked at stabilisers in great detail to know exactly what she's talking about - I've had
a quick look on WWW since putting the phone down, but didn't find anything terribly useful).

Thomas Paine

On Sun, 9 Feb 2003 19:17:30 -0000, "Danny Colyer" <[email protected]> wrote:

>I'm a little surprised that I'm asking this, since I don't really believe in the things myself, but
>does anyone know where to get a decent pair of stabilisers?

Don't do it! Take the pedals off, drop the saddle down so the feet are flat on the ground (DO NOT
start on a bike too big to do this!), find a gentle downward slope, sit the child on the bike, if
necessary place a hand between the shoulders for balance (never hold the saddle) and let the child
find the balance of the bike as they scoot down the hill. It works in anything from ten minutes
upwards. The longest I've known it take was two hours with a child who was very accustomed to riding
a trailer bike.

Following which I advise elbow and knee pads for a while, until they've really got the
hang of it :)

HTH

Guy
===
dynamic DNS permitting)
work. Apologies.

Guy wrote:
> Don't do it! Take the pedals off, drop the saddle down so the feet are flat on the ground...

I know that, and I hope to try and persuade my sister when we can find time between putting kids to
bed for a longer conversation. But neither she or her husband cycles, and I only get down to see
them 2 or 3 times a year, so there's a good chance they'll stick to the way we all learnt - with
stabilisers.

If I don't manage to persuade her of the wisdom of learning without stabilisers, then I'd like to be
able to at least tell her where to get a decent set.

But thanks anyway.

Thomas Paine

In article <[email protected]>, "Just zis Guy, you know?"
<[email protected]> wrote:
> Take the pedals off, drop the saddle down so the feet are flat on the ground (DO NOT start on a
> bike too big to do this!), find a gentle downward slope, sit the child on the bike, if necessary
> place a hand between the shoulders for balance (never hold the saddle) and let the child find the
> balance of the bike as they scoot down the hill.

Totally agree but I would also add -

Do it on grass so that if they fall off they are less liable to be hurt - keeps mum happy.

--
A T (Sandy) Morton on the Bicycle Island In the Global Village http://www.sandymillport.fsnet.co.uk

Danny Colyer wrote:

> I know that, and I hope to try and persuade my sister when we can find time between putting kids
> to bed for a longer conversation. But neither she or her husband cycles, and I only get down to
> see them 2 or 3 times a year, so there's a good chance they'll stick to the way we all learnt -
> with stabilisers.

Hmmm. I've never found a set of stabilisers which was completely satisfactory (we tried them with
Michael before we learned the True Path) - but I do know that children who've mastered a two-wheeled
scooter can transfer to a bike almost without training.

--
Guy
===

In message <[email protected]>, "Just zis Guy, you know?"
<[email protected]> writes

>Hmmm. I've never found a set of stabilisers which was completely satisfactory (we tried them with
>Michael before we learned the True Path) - but I do know that children who've mastered a
>two-wheeled scooter can transfer to a bike almost without training.

I really like the look of 'Like-a-bike' for Elinor, looks like great fun for a little 'un. Not sure
I'd justify the price though.

<http://www.kinetics.org.uk/html/like-a-bike.html>
--
Chris French, Leeds

chris French wrote:

> I really like the look of 'Like-a-bike' for Elinor, looks like great fun for a little 'un. Not
> sure I'd justify the price though.

Especially since after half an hour you'll be tring to screw the pedals back on, only to find it
doesn't have any ;-)

--
Guy
===

In message <[email protected]>, Danny Colyer <[email protected]> writes
>I'm a little surprised that I'm asking this, since I don't really believe in the things myself, but
>does anyone know where to get a decent pair of stabilisers?

I don't know if they would meet your/her requirements, or if they are decent. But I was in
Halfords this afternoon, they sell stabilisers there (unsurprisingly).

I had a quick look, the arms where of a very substantial steel rectangular section - rather than
tubular. Certainly they didn't look they would bend, unlike the pressed steel ones on the kiddies
bikes on display, but they did weigh a bit hefty.

About GBP 11.
--
Chris French, Leeds

In message <[email protected]>, Danny Colyer <[email protected]> writes
>Guy wrote:
>> Don't do it! Take the pedals off, drop the saddle down so the feet are flat on the ground...
>
>I know that, and I hope to try and persuade my sister when we can find time between putting kids to
>bed for a longer conversation. But neither she or her husband cycles, and I only get down to see
>them 2 or 3 times a year, so there's a good chance they'll stick to the way we all learnt - with
>stabilisers.

Not me guv. They delayed my learning for months. Wouldn't the Pashley Pickle trike be a better bet?
Inside leg 17 inches and up. £249, heirloom quality.

http://www.pashley.co.uk

>If I don't manage to persuade her of the wisdom of learning without stabilisers, then I'd like to
>be able to at least tell her where to get a decent set.
>
>But thanks anyway.

HTH!

--
Richard Keatinge

http://www.topica.com/cyclingdoctors/

- support and solutions for cycling doctors