stacey's mom & other embarrasments

recycled-one

Guest
Recently I've been giving books on MP3 a bit of a rest in favour of
selected music tracks.

One thing about listening to music instead of books is that you might
tend to start singing along. This is all well and good if you can sing and
you aren't listening to some kitschy pop tune.

But if you are....

I loaded up a collection, a pastiche, a chronological journey through the
era of rock and/or roll, and set out on an outside loop of about 60 km on
the country sideroads surrounding town.

The advantage is that on country roads no one can hear you sing - except
the odd country home with it's owner out doing yardwork as you belt out,
off-key, Woolly-Bully, Great Balls of Fire, Lion Sleeps Tonight, Smoking in
the Boy's Room. You can at least rationalize that these tunes are still
before your time.

It gets worse when you get into the late 60's 70's & 80's: Light My fire,
White Rabbit, Play that Funky Music aren't so bad.

But the Bangles' Walk Like an Egyptian? Nena's 99 Luft Ballons? Styx Mr.
Roboto?? For shame!

But then it's the 90's: Nirvana's Nevermind and Teen Spirit though I'm long
past teen by that time, Hammer time?? Dare I admit it?

Then we step into the new millennium: Christina Aguilera's, Dirty? Meredith
Brooks' I'm a *****? worse they are gender inappropriate for me to be
singing along aloud.

Then a piece of 'tween angst: Stacey's Mom. I don't know what is worse:
that I'm singing along to it or that Stacey's mom is now age appropriate for
me. She sure has it goin' on.

Finish off with 'The Roof is on Fire' profane but if it was good enough
for Michael Moore's Fahrenheit 9/11 I guess I can sing it aloud....

"Kevan Smith" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "recycled-one" <[email protected]> wrote in
> news:[email protected]:
>
>> Recently I've been giving books on MP3 a bit of a rest in favour of
>> selected music tracks.....

If you consider that selection as representative of my taste in music and
tha tyours is the unassaillable standard....

In article <[email protected]>,
Kevan Smith <[email protected]> writes:
> "recycled-one" <[email protected]> wrote in
> news:[email protected]:
>
>> Recently I've been giving books on MP3 a bit of a rest in favour of
>> selected music tracks.....

Hey, he mentioned some pretty good belter-outers.
Those can be pretty good for clearing the lungs
for more O2 (maybe that relates to the "breathing
on climbs" thread.) I can attest Little Eva's
"Locomotion" helped get me up from New Westminster's
Columbia St to Royal, and then on to 7th last week.

Willie Dixon belter-outers can be especially effective,
and it's kinda fun to let loose with a li'l **** Dang Doodle
whilst riding through the swankier parts of town.

Y'know who else came up with some good belter-outers?
Alice Cooper. I'm told I "do" him with tribute artist
perfection. I can't do Robert Plant belter-outers though.
I don't think anyone can.

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Y'putcher han' on yer hip & letcher backbone slip
Above address is just a spam midden.

"Tom Keats" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Y'know who else came up with some good belter-outers?
> Alice Cooper. I'm told I "do" him with tribute artist
> perfection. I can't do Robert Plant belter-outers though.
> I don't think anyone can.

I hadn't thought of him. 18, School's out, Welcome to my Nightmare, that
works. I also should dl some Tom Petty: Refugee, American Girl.

In article <[email protected]>,
"recycled-one" <[email protected]> wrote:

> "Tom Keats" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
> > Y'know who else came up with some good belter-outers?
> > Alice Cooper. I'm told I "do" him with tribute artist
> > perfection. I can't do Robert Plant belter-outers though.
> > I don't think anyone can.

> I hadn't thought of him. 18, School's out, Welcome to my Nightmare, that
> works. I also should dl some Tom Petty: Refugee, American Girl.

May you never hear surf music again.

--
*Help Animals, the Earth and Your Health! *
*Find out how:* www.VeganStarterPack.com <http://www.veganstarterpack.com/>

In article <[email protected]>,
"recycled-one" <[email protected]> writes:

> "Tom Keats" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>> Y'know who else came up with some good belter-outers?
>> Alice Cooper. I'm told I "do" him with tribute artist
>> perfection. I can't do Robert Plant belter-outers though.
>> I don't think anyone can.

> I hadn't thought of him. 18, School's out, Welcome to my Nightmare, that
> works.

Also: Lost in America, Dead Babies, Under My Wheels, Hey Stoopid,
(dare I suggest Halo of Flies or Killer?) and a bunch of stuff
off his strangely unknown Flush the Fashion album -- Nuclear
Infected, Aspirin Damage, Grim Facts, Clones, Dance Yourselves
to Death, and Pain. And then there's Cold Ethyl, and Feed My
Frankenstein.

> I also should dl some Tom Petty: Refugee, American Girl.

Maybe some ZZ Top from their Fandango album instead, or some
George Thorogood. Tom Petty tries, but for belter-outers,
he doesn't quite have it -- it comes out kinda whiny and nasal,
and throaty rather than diaphragmy. He's still a good artist
w/ a good band, and comes up some good tunes; I'm just saying
they're not necessarily belter-outers on the same scale as
CCR's Run Through the Jungle.

And there are some good women belter-outers that shouldn't go
unrepresented. I think I already mentioned Little Eva. There's
also Big Mama Thornton, Etta James, Koko Taylor, Janis Joplin,
Lene Lovich, and those chicks in the B-52s. Joan Jett.
Patti Smith. Suzie Quattro. Shakira. Tammy Wynette.

Sometimes I think about modifiying Gloria Estafan's "Get On Your
Feet" into a joyous Critical Mass anthem (Get On Your Bike.)
Same with Neil Young's "Downtown". Maybe one of these days I'll
get a round tuit. Or somebody else will.

I've lately noticed in passing, a number of other riders singing
their hearts out. Good on 'em, I sez. Sometimes ya just gotta.

cheers,
Tom

-- Nothing is safe from me.

recycled-one wrote:
> Recently I've been giving books on MP3 a bit of a rest in favour of
> selected music tracks.
>
> One thing about listening to music instead of books is that you might
> tend to start singing along. This is all well and good if you can sing and
> you aren't listening to some kitschy pop tune.
>
> But if you are....
>
> I loaded up a collection, a pastiche, a chronological journey through the
> era of rock and/or roll, and set out on an outside loop of about 60 km on
> the country sideroads surrounding town.
>
> The advantage is that on country roads no one can hear you sing - except
> the odd country home with it's owner out doing yardwork as you belt out,
> off-key, Woolly-Bully, Great Balls of Fire, Lion Sleeps Tonight, Smoking in
> the Boy's Room. You can at least rationalize that these tunes are still
> before your time.
>
> It gets worse when you get into the late 60's 70's & 80's: Light My fire,
> White Rabbit, Play that Funky Music aren't so bad.
>
> But the Bangles' Walk Like an Egyptian? Nena's 99 Luft Ballons? Styx Mr.
> Roboto?? For shame!
>
> But then it's the 90's: Nirvana's Nevermind and Teen Spirit though I'm long
> past teen by that time, Hammer time?? Dare I admit it?
>
> Then we step into the new millennium: Christina Aguilera's, Dirty? Meredith
> Brooks' I'm a *****? worse they are gender inappropriate for me to be
> singing along aloud.
>
> Then a piece of 'tween angst: Stacey's Mom. I don't know what is worse:
> that I'm singing along to it or that Stacey's mom is now age appropriate for
> me. She sure has it goin' on.
>
> Finish off with 'The Roof is on Fire' profane but if it was good enough
> for Michael Moore's Fahrenheit 9/11 I guess I can sing it aloud....

Embarrasing songs I have found myself singing:

"afternoon delight" - Starland Vocal Band

"Stuck in the middle with you" ? Steel Wheels ?

"Jessies Girl" - Rick Springfield

"Kiss me baby one more time"

And the list goes on and on....

Ken

--
Messengers and mountain bikers share a common chromosome. ~James Bethea

recycled-one <[email protected]> wrote:
> "Kevan Smith" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> "recycled-one" <[email protected]> wrote in
>> news:[email protected]:
>>
>>> Recently I've been giving books on MP3 a bit of a rest in favour of
>>> selected music tracks.....

> If you consider that selection as representative of my taste in music and
> that yours is the unassaillable standard....

I thought some of it sounded good, some of it sounded questionable.
However as someone who listens to the sounds of people using scrap metal
and building tools as instruments with screaming in German, I know
better than to throw stones.

--
Dane Buson - [email protected]
"We learn from experience that men never learn

In article <[email protected]>,
Dane Buson <[email protected]> writes:

> I thought some of it sounded good, some of it sounded questionable.
> However as someone who listens to the sounds of people using scrap metal
> and building tools as instruments with screaming in German, I know
> better than to throw stones.

While it's not of the industrial rock genre, you just
reminded me of Wire's "(A Berlin) Drill". What an
onslaught of percussion in that tune! I've gotta
reobtain it on a contemporary recording medium one of
these days. It's probably a good tune to hammer to.

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Nothing is safe from me.

[email protected] (Tom Keats) wrote in news:[email protected]:

> While it's not of the industrial rock genre, you just
> reminded me of Wire's "(A Berlin) Drill". What an
> onslaught of percussion in that tune! I've gotta
> reobtain it on a contemporary recording medium one of
> these days. It's probably a good tune to hammer to.

It is. But it's old. The kids today are hammering to Death From Above 1979.

--
fnood fneep gnip gnop
http://greep.flood.nit

In article <[email protected]>,
Kevan Smith <[email protected]> writes:
> [email protected] (Tom Keats) wrote in news:[email protected]:
>
>> While it's not of the industrial rock genre, you just
>> reminded me of Wire's "(A Berlin) Drill". What an
>> onslaught of percussion in that tune! I've gotta
>> reobtain it on a contemporary recording medium one of
>> these days. It's probably a good tune to hammer to.

> It is. But it's old

I'm even older.

> The kids today are hammering to Death From Above 1979.

I'm not a kid, nor am I trying to be. Although my wipeout
today reminded me of my younger years. Not that I wanna
wipeout again (rounded a left turn too fast, encountered a
huge, hitherto invisible rut in the road, flaired my curve
out to traverse the rut on its shallow end at the right side
of the right lane, couldn't get back into the curve of my line,
and the next thing I knew I was too quickly approaching the curb.
I ended up doing a push-up on the sidewalk. I managed to get the
bike up on the sidewalk with me, both me and my bike landing on
our right sides. I'd holed the knee of my new jeans (on my way
home from work,) got a stingy knee, bruised or cracked a rib,
and shook up the part-bottle of Coke in my milk crate. But I
had to boot it around that corner because all these big trucks
were homing-in on me as I was waiting to make my turn. I was
wearing my helmet, which of course escaped unscathed, and did
nothing to mitigate my minor injuries. At the outset of the
ride, I stupidly eschewed putting my gloves on, though.

To add insult to injury, after walking-off a couple of blocks
past my "incident", I'd discovered I had lost one of my work
boots out of the milk crate. So I had to double back to the
scene to retrieve it.

I must've been quite a spectacle; I had to reassure the
motor vehicle onlookers that I was still alive and okay.

The tune for that experience might be The Screaming Blue
Messiah's "Jesus Chrysler Drives A Dodge" ( "... went past
a semi, sideswiped a semi, must've been carsick, must've been
a shower ...") Another oldie but goodie.

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Nothing is safe from me.