Stack height plus head tube isthisclose to steerer length...any problem?

Frank

Guest
I have a steel frame with threaded fork that has a 124mm headtube, a headset
that the specs shows to have a 37.6mm stack height, and a 162mm steerer tube
on the threaded fork.

Not much room left over for spacers or lockwasher...is this too close to
work well for me? Any potential problems?

What if the headtube is 125mm? Can the set-up work if the head tube and
stack height show they will be 162.6mm but the steerer only measures 162mm?

I am more used to using forks that have more "breathing room" at the top of
the steerer and use a spacer or two. I need room for error!!

BTW, I know there are Campy hs with shorter stack heights I could go to, but
looking at a Shimano build kit.

Thanks,

Frank

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 22:06:19 -0600, Frank wrote:

> I have a steel frame with threaded fork that has a 124mm headtube, a headset
> that the specs shows to have a 37.6mm stack height, and a 162mm steerer tube
> on the threaded fork.
>
> Not much room left over for spacers or lockwasher...is this too close to
> work well for me? Any potential problems?
>
> What if the headtube is 125mm? Can the set-up work if the head tube and
> stack height show they will be 162.6mm but the steerer only measures 162mm?

My experience is that you do have some wiggle room. That stack height
number should be enough for full thread engagement (threaded forks) with
all the supplied washers.

My road bike misses that total by a few mm as I recall. It was worse
before I found another headset, but the headset was cheaper than replacing
the fork.

If you do come up short, the Chris King I have shaves a few mm off of
others, plus since it has a compression fitting rather than the usual
locknut, it was more tolerant of close clearances (and less able to
lengthen for longer steerer tube with extra spacers). Nice headset, too.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | "What am I on? I'm on my bike, six hours a day, busting my ass.
_`\(,_ | What are you on?" --Lance Armstrong
(_)/ (_) |

Frank wrote:
> I have a steel frame with threaded fork that has a 124mm headtube, a

headset
> that the specs shows to have a 37.6mm stack height, and a 162mm

steerer tube
> on the threaded fork.
>
> Not much room left over for spacers or lockwasher...is this too close

> work well for me? Any potential problems?

"Stack height" usually includes the thickness of the lockwasher.

> What if the headtube is 125mm? Can the set-up work if the head tube

and
> stack height show they will be 162.6mm but the steerer only measures

162mm?

> I am more used to using forks that have more "breathing room" at the

top of
> the steerer and use a spacer or two. I need room for error!!

I think you'll be OK. However, if you run out of room, you could run
the headset without the lockwasher. Alternatively, you could take the
frame to a good bike shop and have some metal milled off the top and
bottom of the head tube- off the top is better since you won't change
the steering geometry, unlikely as that is.

Jeff

"Frank" <[email protected]> wrote:

>I have a steel frame with threaded fork that has a 124mm headtube, a headset
>that the specs shows to have a 37.6mm stack height, and a 162mm steerer tube
>on the threaded fork.
>
>Not much room left over for spacers or lockwasher...is this too close to
>work well for me? Any potential problems?
>
>What if the headtube is 125mm? Can the set-up work if the head tube and
>stack height show they will be 162.6mm but the steerer only measures 162mm?
>
>I am more used to using forks that have more "breathing room" at the top of
>the steerer and use a spacer or two. I need room for error!!
>
>BTW, I know there are Campy hs with shorter stack heights I could go to, but
>looking at a Shimano build kit.

The one thing no one's mentioned yet is that if the stem's expander
wedge ends up in the threaded portion, you're very likely to end up
with a cracked steer tube. If that 162mm is the full length before
cutting, it's quite likely that your stem's expander wedge will be in
the threaded area of the fork.

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $695 ti frame

retro-<< I have a steel frame with threaded fork that has a 124mm headtube, a
headset
that the specs shows to have a 37.6mm stack height, and a 162mm steerer tube
on the threaded fork.

Not much room left over for spacers or lockwasher...is this too close to
work well for me? Any potential problems?

I say.it should work, use a thin washer. Ensure the headtube and fork crown
race seat is faced as well. That will give you a bit of wiggle room.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com

<[email protected]> wrote:

>I have a steel frame with threaded fork that has a 124mm headtube, a headset
>that the specs shows to have a 37.6mm stack height, and a 162mm steerer tube
>on the threaded fork.

Sounds perfect to me.

>What if the headtube is 125mm? Can the set-up work if the head tube and
>stack height show they will be 162.6mm but the steerer only measures 162mm?

That should still allow plenty of thread for the locknut.

-
Jim Adney [email protected]
Madison, WI 53711 USA