Stage 1: A tyical "French" course?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Oclvboy, Jul 6, 2003.

  1. Oclvboy

    Oclvboy Guest

    In Cycling News FR states: Two time USPRO champ Fred Rodriguez (Vini Caldirola-So.Di) had hard
    words for the sketchy sprint. "I'd like to give kudos to (TDF boss) Leblanc for putting such a bad
    finish on the first stage of the Tour," said Fast Freddy. "I'm pulling at 60km/h...you know that
    the last kilometre is at 70km/h and to put a corner like that in the sprint (with 500m to go) is
    completely idiotic."

    ... lets see Tyler is out ... and Levi also ...

    Two possible American podium contenders out...

    ... just another day at the races???

    Tags:

  2. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

    Let them cry about the course layout. The truth is that it was the damned riders that caused that
    crash. A week into the Tour with the jerkoffs already running so far back that they can't see the
    last guy in the main pack and there wouldn't have been that stupid pileup.

    It wasn't the turn which is probably a good idea at 500 m.

    "oclvboy" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > In Cycling News FR states: Two time USPRO champ Fred Rodriguez (Vini Caldirola-So.Di) had hard
    words
    > for the sketchy sprint. "I'd like to give kudos to (TDF boss)
    Leblanc for
    > putting such a bad finish on the first stage of the Tour," said Fast
    Freddy.
    > "I'm pulling at 60km/h...you know that the last kilometre is at
    70km/h and
    > to put a corner like that in the sprint (with 500m to go) is
    completely
    > idiotic."
    >
    > ... lets see Tyler is out ... and Levi also ...
    >
    > Two possible American podium contenders out...
    >
    > ... just another day at the races???

  3. Fred Marx

    Fred Marx Guest

    Tom Kunich wrote:

    > Let them cry about the course layout. The truth is that it was the damned riders that caused that
    > crash. A week into the Tour with the jerkoffs already running so far back that they can't see the
    > last guy in the main pack and there wouldn't have been that stupid pileup.
    >
    > It wasn't the turn which is probably a good idea at 500 m.
    >
    > "oclvboy" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >
    >>In Cycling News FR states: Two time USPRO champ Fred Rodriguez (Vini Caldirola-So.Di) had hard
    >
    > words
    >
    >>for the sketchy sprint. "I'd like to give kudos to (TDF boss)
    >
    > Leblanc for
    >
    >>putting such a bad finish on the first stage of the Tour," said Fast
    >
    > Freddy.
    >
    >>"I'm pulling at 60km/h...you know that the last kilometre is at
    >
    > 70km/h and
    >
    >>to put a corner like that in the sprint (with 500m to go) is
    >
    > completely
    >
    >>idiotic."

    Let's see there were how many of those style sprint finishes in the Giro... My point is it's not
    just the French... It almost seems as if some TV yokal sat behind the finsh banner and thought "gee
    how cool would it look if we set up here, a shot down an empty street, and had the riders 'pop' into
    view from behind that building... now it's empty, now there's a race." visually stunning perhaps?
    But obviously a competators nightmare as we've seen.

  4. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

    It has nothing to do with that. Imagine what it would be like if there were a straight road from the
    flame rouge. The pileups would be spectacular as the same idiot riders pushed each other into the
    spectators over the fences.

    If you know there is a turn in the last 500 yards you have to plan your entrance and exit
    strategies. And you don't have the pack sniffing the finish line from a mile out.