Stage 1 - Sunday July 8: London - Canterbury, 203km

Discussion in 'Professional Cycling' started by JAPANic, Jul 8, 2007.

1. tonyzackery

tonyzackery Well-Known Member

I'm not an Aussie and that still was one of the most amazing feats of cycling I have ever scene! To make it through the peloton from the back and still have the strength to be at least 2-3kph faster than the top sprinters in the world is nothing short of incredible!

I sure hope McEwen's tests come back negative...

2. Bro Deal

Bro Deal New Member

The speed of McEwen relative to the others in the last hundred meters was amazing.

Poor Boonen. This year may not go any better than last year. :D

3. tassy1402

tassy1402 New Member

Mate, you're a stubby short of a six pack. You're obviously deeply involved in the sport as your oh so knowledgeable posts indicate. Can you tell us where all this "insider" knowledge comes from?

P.S. You may want to get a better grasp on the English language, or at least buy a dictionary and proof read your posts before submitting replies in the future.

4. supergrill

supergrill New Member

I agree that McEwen's performance was one of the most exceptional I have seen.

On watching the rebroadcast for a second gander, however, I must concede that the "Doc" does have some validity to his original assertions. The Lotto team led chase was really practically sucking on the team cars' exhausts all the back way to the tail of the peleton.

Given how stellar his acceleration was at the end, it doesn't diminish my opinion of the impressiveness of McEwen's dominating ability at all, but it does that of the TdF officiating for sure.

All in all still an exciting finish nonetheless.

5. Trev_S

Trev_S New Member

Thats standard.
    As they say, once a drop rider/s get to the back of the team cars their pretty much certain of getting onto the peloton. However at the end of the stage when the pace is on, that is probably the hardest time to do do. They had to catch the cars then ride straight through them. Riders can 'take advantage' of the cars but not for an extended time, essentially ride up to the cars using the cars draft and ride on by. Leap froging the cars. Given there was only a few km's to go they couldn't hang around, there was no time for resting behind a car.

If you read what the good Dr.H's normal posts are all about then you can bet what he is insinuating is that the "team" are the motor pacers riding as if on motorbikes. ie:to strong to be normal, diping into the doping basket as it where.

6. Eldron

Eldron New Member

When I got to a TV yesterday there wer 10km to go and Robbie was out the back. "Excellent" I thought (I'm not a big Robbie fan).

Then I saw him shoot by on the right for an awesome stage win.

Much as I was disappointed it was amazing.

Sure he used some team cars to get back but as far as I am concerned it was "fair". Crashing is not fair - turning a blind eye to riders drafting a bit to get back is a way of evening out the odds.

If you think sucking car fumes at 70+kph to get back to the bunch is easy then you've never done it. If you think riding from the back of the bunch to the front with a few teams mates on narrow roads is a simple task then you've never raced at a decent level.

In short Doctor - you're a tosser. People like you are killing our sport far worse than drugs.

7. dm69

dm69 New Member

No drug can explain what he did! Thats just willpower and talent m8

8. ErikZabel

ErikZabel New Member

What fucking "treno blue" was yesterday... Last whell - kill yourself, save Zabel's sprint...

Aldag forever! :eek:

9. whiteboytrash

whiteboytrash New Member

Dr. House is correct to a degree.... Robbie did catch a motor pace back to the peleton.... however there were a lot of riders caught in the crash and they got stuck between the cars and the peleton... ie the cars couldn't get out or drop back so Robbie, team and the rest of the chasers had no choice and got paced for 3/4's of the way back (you see you get this on the full EuroSport coverage)..... fair's fair's thou as QuickStep turned up the heat when he fell and that’s not really in the spirit of the game.........

One last point is the amount of people on the side of road... most of the riders were saying they have never seen anything like it...... the Mayor of London Ken Livingstone did a great job in advertising the event... at every tube and train station for the last 2 weeks they have been handing out "how to see the Tour" guides which made it easy for the public... another thing they did was rather the educate the people on the aspects of the Tour they pumped up the names in the race so the people were cheering on the riders...... what the who 2 days proved was that ASO will never go after the American market again (as we know what that has done in terms of cheating)..... the British market is were its at..... that was the best two days of Tour watching I've ever had...... awesome.......

10. JAPANic

JAPANic New Member

All those 'other team' cars that didn't want to help could have just stopped, pulled over to the side, slowed down etc if they wanted to. They were aware of the situation... The weaving around the cars was of little benefit either... The cars were also travelling at the same pace as the peleton so for crashed riders there is no cheating....

11. whiteboytrash

whiteboytrash New Member

Pulled over ? Did you see the people on the side of the road ? there aint no where to pull over........ its no big deal... when riders get dropped they always motor pace between the cars to get back..... its a part of racing and Bonnen would have done the same.... its a non-issue........

I'm all for Robbie.... he rode an awesome ride and stuck it to Boonen...... there is no one else who could have done what he did...... he deserved the win...... Boonen is stuck.... he doesn't know what to do now...

12. The Double Zero

The Double Zero New Member

From the live report
    13:23 CEST
    Yesterday's stage winner Robbie McEwen came back from a crash like a shooting star to win the sprint in Canterbury. Despite having banged up his knee and wrist pretty badly, he told Sporza that he slept well and has less pain this morning. He'll be in the action to take on Boonen, Hushovd and the other sprinters in Gent.

13. DV1976

DV1976 New Member

Other than McEwen's amazing comeback, I think that the talking point of the Prologue and Stage 1 should be the number of people that came out to support the riders and the sport... Fantastic. I never expected to see so many people out on the streets and roads. It was really refreshing

14. trucker39

trucker39 New Member

I'm glad most people here are beginning to understand how torturous it can be to listen to Doctor.House and his ramblings. I've given up responding.

What an amazing final 20k by Robbie. Couldn't believe it when he popped up on the left. The guy's an animal!

15. Doctor.House

Doctor.House New Member

We salute your silence trucker!

16. Doctor.House

Doctor.House New Member

Bizarre comments.

I am killing your sport? What is 'your' sport exactly? Cow blood and human blood banking? 5-6 injections per day? Institutional fraud? Tearful confessions of cheating by former stars, ten years late?

Towing marquee stars to the front to showcase their talent---then pretending that they rode at 40 mph on their own power????

'Your sport' is a fictional theater act. Nike swooshes and all. McEwen wears a Nike LIVE WRONG swoosh--JUST like Pharmstrong did.

People like me expose it for what it is. Show business, not a sport.

Some people enjoy non-fiction.

17. Doctor.House

Doctor.House New Member

WRONG!

Motorpacing = cars going 40-45 mph

His teammates were hardly needed---especially when all the TEAM CARS helped.

Even Quick Step helped. The teams do not own the show---ASO does.

That's why it is called "show business"

18. Trev_S

Trev_S New Member

Your such a clown.
    Not once did McEwen 'pretend'.

How dumb do you think we are????
    There would not be one person who thinks sports is not considered entertainment. Sports have been entertaining people for hundred & thousands of years.

Now go away you little man, we want to watch & enjoy cycling, both the racing on the TV and out on the roads riding ourselfs.

Your obsessed and are just as bad as all the infrastructure/organisiations/people you rant and rave about and the athletes you say are addicted. Well your addicted to, maybe not drugs but you have an unhealthy addiction, haven't you realised?

19. Doctor.House

Doctor.House New Member

Exceedlingly dumb!

Thanks for asking.

20. trucker39

trucker39 New Member

Pity you wouldn't return the favour.