Stage 10: Termoli - Peschici, 187 km

more questionable tactics from Lampre, I am in agreement. The course with the number of turns, etc., protected the breakaway group from being easily chased down. Great tactics from Liquigas!
doctorSpoc said:
didn't see it... was CSC working and Lampre took over or did CSC just bluff Lampre into doing the work?

ilpirata said:
more questionable tactics from Lampre, I am in agreement. The course with the number of turns, etc., protected the breakaway group from being easily chased down. Great tactics from Liquigas!
Agreed: Liquigas did great! But i still don't know what Lampre was doing...

Heartbreaking outcome for Axel Merckx.

He made a valiant attempt but Liquigas tactics have to be commended.
Great result for Pellizotti.

limerickman said:
Heartbreaking outcome for Axel Merckx.

He made a valiant attempt but Liquigas tactics have to be commended.
Great result for Pellizotti.
Oh yeah, it's Axel's last season and this one will hurt....

cyclingheroes said:
Oh yeah, it's Axel's last season and this one will hurt....

This cycling fan was rooting for Merckx to hold off the bunch.
I was disappointed for Axel.

cyclingheroes said:
Agreed: Liquigas did great! But i still don't know what Lampre was doing...
Lampre didn't go in the break because they wanted to set up the spring for cunego so he could get a time bonus. Pellezotti was something like 19th when the stage started, so he was allowed in the break. CSC was in complete control. They placed a man in the break to force another team to chase, Riis knowing Lampre wants the time bonus. I think that Lampre should have waited for Pellezotti to sneak into second place and play on Phonak. Then, they would have had someone help in the chase. Remember, in the grand tours, you want to conserve your placing if it is a good one.

luv2ride said:
Lampre didn't go in the break because they wanted to set up the spring for cunego so he could get a time bonus. Pellezotti was something like 19th when the stage started, so he was allowed in the break. CSC was in complete control. They placed a man in the break to force another team to chase, Riis knowing Lampre wants the time bonus. I think that Lampre should have waited for Pellezotti to sneak into second place and play on Phonak. Then, they would have had someone help in the chase. Remember, in the grand tours, you want to conserve your placing if it is a good one.
But if i where DS of Lampre i wouldn't have done the chasing. I would have thought: nice that CSC is having Lombardi in the breakaway... We can all wait untill Lombardi is going to beat Pellezotti in the mountains (Corones)... At some point it would make no difference if CSC had Lombardi in there or not, they also couldn't afford to let Pellezotti take to much time so i had skipped the bonus seconds plan and would say to CSC: boys you've got work to do...

cyclingheroes said:
But if i where DS of Lampre i wouldn't have done the chasing. I would have thought: nice that CSC is having Lombardi in the breakaway... We can all wait untill Lombardi is going to beat Pellezotti in the mountains (Corones)... At some point it would make no difference if CSC had Lombardi in there or not, they also couldn't afford to let Pellezotti take to much time so i had skipped the bonus seconds plan and would say to CSC: boys you've got work to do...
The scrambing to maintain placement so early in the race would seem to indicate that some teams may already have conceeded the win to Basso.

saluki said:
The scrambing to maintain placement so early in the race would seem to indicate that some teams may already have conceeded the win to Basso.
Could be, but i hope you're wrong...