Stage 11: Tarbes-Val d'Aran/Pla-de-Beret (Spain), 208 km

Discussion in 'Professional Cycling' started by steve, Jul 12, 2006.

1. Bro Deal

Bro Deal New Member

Evans losing contact.

2. cPritch67

cPritch67 New Member

got the LA POKER face going - show no expression.

3. Bro Deal

Bro Deal New Member

Menchov gets it!

Levi and Landis right with him.

4. Bro Deal

Bro Deal New Member

1 Denis Menchov (Rus) Rabobank 6.06.25
    2 Levi Leipheimer (USA) Gerolsteiner
    3 Floyd Landis (USA) Phonak
    4 Cadel Evans (Aus) Davitamon-Lotto 0.22
    5 Carlos Sastre (Spa) Team CSC
    6 Michael Boogerd (Ned) Rabobank 1.03
    7 Haimar Zubeldia (Spa) Euskaltel-Euskadi 1.32
    8 Frank Schleck (Lux) Team CSC
    9 Andreas Klöden (Ger) T-Mobile
    10 Christophe Moreau (Fra) AG2R-Prevoyance

5. Eldrack

Eldrack New Member

Well, despite the not so steep finish the tour got ripped to pieces today. I guess we have some idea of what the top 10 will look like in two weeks time.

6. Virenque

Virenque New Member

Landis really wonted that yellow jersey. He wouldn`t need to do so much work in the front because he is definitely the best TTist than other GC contenders.

7. sydsyd

sydsyd New Member

Landis in yellow! Yay!

Disco - no hope for podium unless there is a freak accident that takes out the top 20 riders. Really says something about how crucial LA was to the team's power. Brunyeel must be quite frustrated. I guess we'll see how good a DS he really is as he deals with the rest of the race.

8. Bro Deal

Bro Deal New Member

Yes. Too bad Dessel was not a few seconds quicker. It really would have helped Landis over the next few days.

9. rejobako

rejobako New Member

Soooo . . . we learned a lot today, it seems. Landis is for real, Menchov is in form, Evans lurks and if he feels stronger in the Alps . . . , Leipheimer is perplexing, Kloden may not have entirely recovered from that shoulder injury, and I think it's a fair bet that the GC winner will be one of the four mentioned (excluding Levi).

Oh, one other things for sure -- I have to join the "Discovery is in disarray" chorus. I didn't expect any podiums from them, but they are all underachieving right now. (I don't blame Salvo, though -- he shot his wad in Italy).

10. JAPANic

JAPANic New Member

Evans got dropped like a hot potato at the end there... I hope he manages to pull a cold potato out of the hat in the next few stages... I was hoping he was going to attack himself a bit before the others did....

A pretty weak looking leaders board....now...

11. rejobako

rejobako New Member

I kind of like it, myself. Lots of names that have been talked about at Tour GC possibilities for years are finally getting their chance -- it will be interesting to see how some of them deal with the pressure. (Poor George Hincapie, are you listening? I had hopes for a top 10 from him -- :eek: )

How about Levi -- shows you what a mountain stage can do for your overall standing. He has no hope of being on the podium, but he did move from 58th to 13th in one day.

12. Metal Earth

Metal Earth New Member

Wow that is the first time I've ever seen Rabobank control a mountain stage at the end. Boogerd was climbing like I've never seen him climb before and nice finish by Menchov. :)

13. discobean7

discobean7 New Member

Landis will need to have a talk with his team since he was totally isolated up there. Menchov looks good and his team supported him very well with Rasmussen and Boogerd. T-mob looked strong, but they blew themselves up. Where was Horner to help Evans? I was surprised by Moreau losing time as well.

14. Deli

Deli New Member

I think he has some hope of podium, albeit very small. With two mountain top finishes next week, he can make up time on others if he climbs well. If the final TT isn't a disaster, he could place well.

I'm not betting on it, but he has a small chance.

15. Endym

Endym New Member

Who said Pla-de-Beret was easy climb? :)

When gradient is low, you just have to have a power to push bigger gear. And when you have that power, caps appear.

16. rejobako

rejobako New Member

That climb was perfect for a certain Jan Ullrich. If he had been allowed to race . . . >>>>sigh<<<<

17. sydsyd

sydsyd New Member

Yeah, a Ulle, Basso, Flandis duel would have been fun to watch.

I actually feel a bit sorry for Brunyeel after today's stage. I think the true test of his DS abilities will be how he deals with the post-LA years. While it was sporting of him to include Eki, you kind of have to wonder if Johan wasted a spot on the team. Hard to say as I doubt he thought Disco would be doing this poorly at this stage. Hincapie at 23 minutes back after stage 11? Wow.

18. JRMDC

JRMDC New Member

How about some applause for Marcus Fothen of Gerolsteiner! 3 minutes down in 13th today, now 10th overall, ahead of Cunego in the white jersey by 12 minutes.

Need to track down some info about him...

19. jhuskey

jhuskey Moderator

Below is my post from stage 7, it's is kind of sad but not as sad as not getting to ride at all.

"I agree 10- 20 more crashes with some top contenders out and Discovery is home free"

20. jhuskey

jhuskey Moderator

BTW: Someone nudge me on stage 14 and wake me up for 15.
    Thanks