for all those predicting a podium or even a top ten.. i'll
just let the result speak for itself... think that
ends that conversation.. what a joke..

doctorSpoc said:
46 George Hincapie (USA) Discovery Channel 21.23

I recall a couple of poster made a bet on Hincapie's final standing. I just remember which ones.

doctorSpoc said:

Yeah, I'm not sure where that notion ever came from. Hincapie never had a chance, and it was even worse after his TT.

I wonder if Leipheimer lost too much weight before the Tour. That could maybe explain his lousy TT but excellent Pyrenees riding. He was really in there mixing it up and even contested the sprint.

doctorSpoc said:

Whoa, I hadn't seen that time. What? Did he stop for lunch?

Discovery should have gone into the Tour with Azevedo as the leader. I can't believe they ever imagined it being anyone else.

Pretty fun stage to watch today. Lots of good attacks. I was hoping Levi would get away. I'm not quite sure what Cunego is up to... attacking and then blowing up. Thought I'd see more Rasmussen at the end today, but no surprises in the final five. I can see a Menchov, Landis, Evans podium (though in what order, I don't know).

I'd throw Kloden in there, but he nearly always manages to find a way to screw it up. 2004 being the exception.

DiabloScott said:
I wonder if Leipheimer lost too much weight before the Tour. That could maybe explain his lousy TT but excellent Pyrenees riding. He was really in there mixing it up and even contested the sprint.
Maybe his pharmacist can explain lousy TT, crisis in first Pyreneenian stage and immediately after that the best possible showing on 5 climbs.

Great race today.

19 MPH average speed for today. A little slower today than in the past:D but Menchov, Leipheimer, Landis, Cadel and Sastre looked strong today.

TdF rating: 8 stars

lw

Andrija said:
Maybe his pharmacist can explain lousy TT, crisis in first Pyreneenian stage and immediately after that the best possible showing on 5 climbs.
i'll just say i think his FedEx package probably arrived a day late.. he'll use UPS next time...

rejobako said:
That climb was perfect for a certain Jan Ullrich. If he had been allowed to race . . . >>>>sigh<<<<
this tour was designed for Ullrich... even down to a a 1st mountain stage with no mountain top finish but hard mountain stage to help his usual tough transition from the flats... 2nd stage hard but up hill finish not too steep.. even Brunyeel had to admit that if Ullrich was here the tour would have been over after the 1st timetrial... yeah this tour is kinda sucking with the two top guys sitting on the sidelines but guess we it's all we've got.. let see them fight it out to see who would have gotten the third spot on the podium.

doctorSpoc said:
i'll just say i think his FedEx package probably arrived a day late.. he'll use UPS next time...
I certainly wont defend anyone in the pro peloton against doping charges, but Leipheimer said his struggles in Stage 10 were due to lack of nutrition. He bonked. No idea what happened in the TT.

After the Tourmalet, the Aspin, the Peyressoude and the Portillon any climb is a hard one...

If Landis survives to Alpe d´Huez and La Toussire the Tour belongs to him.

GREAT GREAT Teamplay by Rabobank.

I'm from the Netherlands and I really enjoy this stage. Its great to see what Rabobank can do. Ok, now what less chauvinism.

Boogerd: Exelent job. Fantastic day.
Rasmussen: Also verry good.
Mentsjov : Smart teamplay and good win.
Leipheimer: Infantilely
Landis: Only at the and of the stage a little bit work.
Evans: I don't see him win the Tour.
Sastre: See Evans.
Discovery: verry verry disappointed

So what can we say so far,
Landis or Mentsjov has the best papers. Maybe Landis the best. But with the good teamplay of Rabobank Mentsjov is the second favorit.

doctorSpoc said:
this tour was designed for Ullrich... even down to a a 1st mountain stage with no mountain top finish but hard mountain stage to help his usual tough transition from the flats... 2nd stage hard but up hill finish not too steep.. even Brunyeel had to admit that if Ullrich was here the tour would have been over after the 1st timetrial... yeah this tour is kinda sucking with the two top guys sitting on the sidelines but guess we it's all we've got.. let see them fight it out to see who would have gotten the third spot on the podium.

Jan's TT's average 3 kph faster than this years best,so I agree.

Deli said:
I certainly wont defend anyone in the pro peloton against doping charges, but Leipheimer said his struggles in Stage 10 were due to lack of nutrition. He bonked. No idea what happened in the TT.
Certainly haven't seen anything to prove it, but he "acts" like he's had some stomach issues. I also saw that he mentioned lack of nutrition, but I caught that he said he hasn't "been able" to get enough fuel.. which makes me think the stomach issues are true.

I picked him for a podium finish, and I'm not quite willing to write him off yet, especially after the way he rode today.

Mansmind said:
Certainly haven't seen anything to prove it, but he "acts" like he's had some stomach issues. I also saw that he mentioned lack of nutrition, but I caught that he said he hasn't "been able" to get enough fuel.. which makes me think the stomach issues are true.

I picked him for a podium finish, and I'm not quite willing to write him off yet, especially after the way he rode today.
Yes, as I mentioned earlier in this thread, he has an outside chance at podium. It will be tough, but if he can keep this form, he may get it.

jhuskey said:
I recall a couple of poster made a bet on Hincapie's final standing. I just remember which ones.
Ummmmmm, one of them was me, unfortunately:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitosis
George will need at least another 10 favourites to drop out before he has a chance in the tour.

Rejobako replies: You want to make a friendly wager that he'll finish out of the top 10? I don't think he'll get on the podium, but I'll take that bet.
Followed by this exchange:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitosis
Thats a fair challenge considering my post. What's at stake? Me stating that Lance Armstrong never doped and was the greatest rider to ever turn a pedal? (that's if you win). What are you willing to risk rejo?

Raise the stakes if you wish. It will be a week before I can reply so don't get impatient.

Rejobako replies: Well, I don't know that Lance never doped, and I don't think he was the greatest rider ever. How about if Hincapie finishes top 10, you add a sig to all your posts for a month: "Mitosis -- George Hincapie's *****".

I'll do something similarly demeaning ;) , but you'll have to let me know. I'll even flame Armstrong if you like, but that won't be anything new on this forum. :cool:

Of course, our bet is contingent upon a cyber-handshake confirming the stakes before Hincapie rides off a mountain or something.
Technically, I have an out-clause because mitosis and I haven't yet agreed to anything specific.

However, I feel I've lost a bet in principle anyway. Mitosis -- if you're out there, let me know what I must do in penance for believing in Georgie.

What a bizarre stage... that was the flattest mountain stage I have ever seen..... what was going on ? Ag2R leading the peleton, Michael Boogard setting the pace on the final climb, Discovery riders finishing 7 minutes back..... come on ! What’s the story !

rejobako said:
Soooo . . . we learned a lot today, it seems. Landis is for real, Menchov is in form, Evans lurks and if he feels stronger in the Alps . . . , Leipheimer is perplexing, Kloden may not have entirely recovered from that shoulder injury, and I think it's a fair bet that the GC winner will be one of the four mentioned (excluding Levi).

Oh, one other things for sure -- I have to join the "Discovery is in disarray" chorus. I didn't expect any podiums from them, but they are all underachieving right now. (I don't blame Salvo, though -- he shot his wad in Italy).

Ironic watching todays stage - and compare/contrast to the Dauphine three weeks ago.

Menchov and Landis were dying at the Duaphine : now they're able to fly up probably the toughest stage of the TDF.
Leipheimer had a great DL and he did very well today.

Swings and roundabouts.

discobean7 said:
Landis will need to have a talk with his team since he was totally isolated up there. Menchov looks good and his team supported him very well with Rasmussen and Boogerd. T-mob looked strong, but they blew themselves up. Where was Horner to help Evans? I was surprised by Moreau losing time as well.

Rabo were very impressive today