Stage 11 TDF06 - Spectatoring

Fanto

Mar 27, 2006
Me and my friend are in France over the summer, and are going to watch stage 11, through the pyrenees. Its from Tarbes to Val d'Aran. The three mountains from which we want to choose where to watch are Toumalet, Col d'Aspin and Peyresourde. Just wondering if anyone has past experience of spectating from these peaks and can advice the best choice.
Also, what are the arrangements with camping up the mountain, whens best to get there? a couple of days before the tour comes through? Do they close the roads? Is there transport up the mountains specifically for spectators? The camping arrangements, do people congregate in certain areas or can you camp where you please?
Also we would appreciate any useful tips to generally do with the whole experience!
Many Thanks
Fanto

Fanto said:
Me and my friend are in France over the summer, and are going to watch stage 11, through the pyrenees. Its from Tarbes to Val d'Aran. The three mountains from which we want to choose where to watch are Toumalet, Col d'Aspin and Peyresourde. Just wondering if anyone has past experience of spectating from these peaks and can advice the best choice.
Also, what are the arrangements with camping up the mountain, whens best to get there? a couple of days before the tour comes through? Do they close the roads? Is there transport up the mountains specifically for spectators? The camping arrangements, do people congregate in certain areas or can you camp where you please?
Also we would appreciate any useful tips to generally do with the whole experience!
Many Thanks
Fanto
there is a list serve on yahoo called TDFAmericans that shares information like this. http://www.tdfamericans.us/ The messages link will take you to the list serve.

In the 2003 Edition I was watching the race in the Col d´Peyresourde. The organization use to close the roads the night before so if you use the car I recommend you to get the day before,at morning if it is possible cause it´s very difficult to park. I´m not sure but I think that there isn´t specific transport, many people climb up walking or biking, and definitely aren´t camping arragements, camp where you can but as you wrote in your post people congregate in certain areas.
The nights use to be cold so wear a jersey or a jacket. You´ll need food and specially water(high temperatures during daylight).

I know I'll get taken down for this but I'm sick of people joining this forum making one post about how to see the Tour and never posting here again... what are we ? Get involve, make some posts and then take what you can. I for one am sick of giving out free information to every Tom, **** and Harry who wants to see the Tour and doesn't participate in our forum. :mad:

Fanto said:
Many Thanks
Fanto

I know I'll get taken down for this but I'm sick of people joining this forum making one post about how to see the Tour and never posting here again... what are we ? Get involve, make some posts and then take what you can. I for one am sick of giving out free information to every Tom, **** and Harry who wants to see the Tour and doesn't participate in our forum. :mad:

Sorry,didnt mean to offend.We are two 19 yr old students mad keen on cycling and going on our first tour trip.We just wanted some tips etc .Thanks to the others(cpr and barnstorm)that responded more positively and were really helpful.We will share our experiences when we get back so that others can benefit.Everyone has to have a first post, dont they ?

Fanto said:

Sorry,didnt mean to offend.We are two 19 yr old students mad keen on cycling and going on our first tour trip.We just wanted some tips etc .Thanks to the others(cpr and barnstorm)that responded more positively and were really helpful.We will share our experiences when we get back so that others can benefit.Everyone has to have a first post, dont they ?
We are not all as testy as the white boy so don't get too bent out of shape. I do agree with his post though that this forum is best for discussing pro racing. Viewing the tours should be discussed elswhere imho. That's why I gave you the other link, they discuss how to see stages, where to stay, where to camp, and everything else you will need to know. Once you see the races and have thoughts about the performances of the racers and team, come on back and let us know what you think. Have fun.

The whiteboy gets very testy..... so make sure when you get back you share your stories of Ullrich's win........ to show that I'm not all bad... check out the following link from posts of ghosts past which has some tips for the Tour from yours truely........ :) (http://www.cyclingforums.com/t242650-.html)

Fanto said:
I know I'll get taken down for this but I'm sick of people joining this forum making one post about how to see the Tour and never posting here again... what are we ? Get involved, make some posts and then take what you can. I for one am sick of giving out free information to every Tom, **** and Harry who wants to see the Tour and doesn't participate in our forum. :mad:

whiteboytrash said:
The whiteboy gets very testy..... so make sure when you get back you share your stories of Ullrich's win........ to show that I'm not all bad... check out the following link from posts of ghosts past which has some tips for the Tour from yours truely........ :) (http://www.cyclingforums.com/t242650-.html)
The Tourmalet is a good place to watch but this year I think they go up the barren side not the Mongie ski resort side so definitley not as much viewing room. The Peyresourde is OK, but here's the deal.
This is one of the few uphill finishes where are the big boys will come out to win.

YOU MUST SEE THE FINISHING CLIMB.
Get there very early and plan on roads being closed very early sometime the night before. Its a weekday so it wont be quite as mad as typical...the organizers are trying to put uphill finishes on weekends to avoid the extra half millio0n who show up then, unfortuante but true.
Go to the finishing climb, you wont regret it