Stage 11 - Thursday, July 19: Marseille - Montpellier, 182.5km

steve

Administrator
Aug 12, 2001
A transition stage that follow's the the Mediterranean coastline to Montpellier.

Climbs:
Km 38: Côte de Calissanne: 1.7 km climb @ 5.6 % grade / 4th Cat.
Sprints:
Km 31.5: La Fare-Les Oliviers
Km 96.5: Arles

steve said:
A transition stage that follow's the the Mediterranean coastline to Montpellier.

Climbs:
Km 38: Côte de Calissanne: 1.7 km climb @ 5.6 % grade / 4th Cat.
Sprints:
Km 31.5: La Fare-Les Oliviers
Km 96.5: Arles
Probably won't win any prizes by suggesting that a breakaway will contain the winner.

How about Sebastian Chavanel? Hincapie?

I think Gerrans will have another go today. Didnt quite pan out for him yesterday.

existence said:
I think Gerrans will have another go today. Didnt quite pan out for him yesterday.
Looks like we have Bennati, Nuyens, Voigt, Sioutsu, Haussler, Arroyo, Fedrigo, Chavanel and Vaugrenard.

I can't decide between Haussler, Bennati and Nuyens.

Another chance for Voeckler to make the TV amybe.
Can't wait til Saturday. I see Kloden a few seconds off the yellow by Sat. evening.
Don't think he will quite take yellow, but will get close.

Could someone more experienced than me in cycling tactics explain why Astana did what they did today? What was the point?

jhuskey said:
Can't wait til Saturday. I see Kloden a few seconds off the yellow by Sat. evening.

its gonna be close between evans and kloden for yellow,though i see kloden beating him in the TT.im not sure he can beat him by 1'09.depends on the wind.

jhuskey said:
its gonna be close between evans and kloden for yellow,though i see kloden beating him in the TT.im not sure he can beat him by 1'09.depends on the wind.

DV1976 said:
Could someone more experienced than me in cycling tactics explain why Astana did what they did today? What was the point?
I think it was sort of a revenge tactic to put time on the French Champion.

Sweet!

First a South African team in the tour.

Then a win by the South African team.

THEN a win by a South African.

GO SOUTH AFRICA!!!!!!

Who cares about rugby and cricket when we have a new cycling star :)

Sweet indeed.

Eldron said:
Sweet!

GO SOUTH AFRICA!!!!!!

Sweet indeed.

Yes awesome stuff... so thats Australia 1, South Africa 1, Columbia 1, Belgium 2, Switzerland 2, France 1 and USA 0

Eldron said:
Sweet!

GO SOUTH AFRICA!!!!!!

Sweet indeed.

You definitely have a lot to cheer about and we are all cheering with you. I think everyone is pleased to see first timers do so well in the tour. That was a great victory for the team and for Hunter. The team really worked for it today. It was a well deserved win!

whiteboytrash said:
Yes awesome stuff... so thats Australia 1, South Africa 1, Columbia 1, Belgium 2, Switzerland 2, France 1 and USA 0
I shudder to think of the agony you must have suffered over the last 8 years...

whiteboytrash said:
For your sister's sake, I hope no American manages to win a stage this year. You'll lose that tiny little erection.

David_Zen said:
I think it was sort of a revenge tactic to put time on the French Champion.
yes, remember it was moreau and valverde that caused vino to crack on stage 9, but i have to say i thought it was a dirty move because moreau had crashed earlier.

thebluetrain said:
It wasnt dirty. Vino just returned the favor to Moreau.
how? ..vino crashed on stage 5,it isnt moreaus fault that vino couldnt ride up the mountain..in the tour, mountain stages are the place for the overall battle and moreau did what he was supposed to do, this wasnt a stage for the overall and astana attacked when moreau was at the back trying to fix his broken cleat.

who cares. ****ed up knees, ****ed up cleat, you gotta try to put the screws to your competitors when they're down. it's not like they attacked when moreau was with the doctor anyways.

The whole point of the Tour is to put time into your rivals, whoever they are and wherever you can. That includes on the flat windy stage. Look at the time differences (this on a flat stage!), quite a few dangerous men may have been put out of contention, Moreau being the main one. That move also made what could have been a mind-numbingly boring stage into a joy to watch, not the least because of the win for South Africa. Barloworld are beating the pants off many ProTour teams with budgets the size of some african countries gross national product.