Stage 11 - Thursday, July 19: Marseille - Montpellier, 182.5km

whiteboytrash said:
Yes awesome stuff... so thats Australia 1, South Africa 1, Columbia 1, Belgium 2, Switzerland 2, France 1 and USA 0
I'm surprised at you wbt, you know it's only the Euro's that like stage wins. The Americans want to wear yellow into Paris. At least that is what we are used to.

Eagle of Toledo said:
The whole point of the Tour is to put time into your rivals, whoever they are and wherever you can. That includes on the flat windy stage. Look at the time differences (this on a flat stage!), quite a few dangerous men may have been put out of contention, Moreau being the main one. That move also made what could have been a mind-numbingly boring stage into a joy to watch, not the least because of the win for South Africa. Barloworld are beating the pants off many ProTour teams with budgets the size of some african countries gross national product.
i remember when ullrich fell into a ravine and lance waited for him,i thought that was classy, because he didnt take advantage of another riders misfortune(even his biggest rival)and in '03 ullrich returned the favor.i appreciated the sportsmanship ....i dont know, i just see something wrong with this.

It was an impressive move, but it came at the time when Moreau, who had crashed earlier on, was receiving attention from the race doctor, leading to some criticism of the team's tactics

wolfix said:
I'm surprised at you wbt, you know it's only the Euro's that like stage wins. The Americans want to wear yellow into Paris. At least that is what we are used to.

Which Americans ? Hincapie ? I dont know any Americans in the race who have worn yellow in paris...... its 2007 not 1999..... the knife cuts very deep............. who are you talking about..? well done South Africa !
:)

redLantern said:
i remember when ullrich fell into a ravine and lance waited for him,i thought that was classy, because he didnt take advantage of another riders misfortune(even his biggest rival)and in '03 ullrich returned the favor.i appreciated the sportsmanship ....i dont know, i just see something wrong with this.
that wasn't very classy in '03 when ullrich waited for lance, who then immediately "counterattacked" ullrich's group, and to this day pretends that ullrich didn't wait for him.

SaintAndrew said:
that wasn't very classy in '03 when ullrich waited for lance, who then immediately "counterattacked" ullrich's group, and to this day pretends that ullrich didn't wait for him.
what are you talking about?..lance said(interview with phil and paul) that he spoke with ullrich and ullrich told him that he waited for him.lance also said that he believes jan.and as for the "classy" attack, i was talking about taking advantage of a riders misfortune(crash,mecanical). when lance attacked ,ullrich coulnt go with him, so is lance supposed to wait for ullrich because jan doesnt have the form???? being overweight and unprepared is not a misfortune.

redLantern said:
what are you talking about?..lance said(interview with phil and paul) that he spoke with ullrich and ullrich told him that he waited for him.lance also said that he believes jan.
B.S. It was during the interview with Phil and Paul that Armstrong said he did not think Ullrich waited for him. He then tried to give credit to Hamilton, who had only come to the front to mug for the cameras after the others had slowed down. Recently Armstrong has back pedalled because denying the obvious, that Ullrich waited, was making him look like a jerk.

In fact, that whole interview with Phil & Paul after the 2003 Tour made Armstrong look like an asshole. I have met a few people who say that it was that interview that changed their opinion of Armstrong. I remember when Paul soft balled a question about Beloki to him, leaving an opening you could drive a Mack truck through and expecting Armstrong to come back with something about how unfortunate it was for Beloki. Instead Armstrong was so self centered he had no empathy for Beloki whatsoever. It was like, "It doesn't matter. If someone goes out of contention there's always someone else you have to watch out for."

whiteboytrash said:
Which Americans ? Hincapie ? I dont know any Americans in the race who have worn yellow in paris...... its 2007 not 1999..... the knife cuts very deep............. who are you talking about..? well done South Africa !
:)
It's just fan expectation...... To be honest, after Lance started in 1999, most Americans thought that the TDF was a wine and sunflower bicycle tour throughout France every July. We had to explain that Lance was racing other guys, that the yellow jersey he wore into Paris was not just jersey designating him as the leader of a cyclo tour for other tourists. I got tired of answering the question everyone around here asked........ Why is that nice German guy wearing pink always right behind him?

Bro Deal said:
B.S. It was during the interview with Phil and Paul that Armstrong said he did not think Ullrich waited for him. He then tried to give credit to Hamilton, who had only come to the front to mug for the cameras after the others had slowed down. Recently Armstrong has back pedalled because denying the obvious, that Ullrich waited, was making him look like a jerk.

In fact, that whole interview with Phil & Paul after the 2003 Tour made Armstrong look like an asshole. I have met a few people who say that it was that interview that changed their opinion of Armstrong. I remember when Paul soft balled a question about Beloki to him, leaving an opening you could drive a Mack truck through and expecting Armstrong to come back with something about how unfortunate it was for Beloki. Instead Armstrong was so self centered he had no empathy for Beloki whatsoever. It was like, "It doesn't matter. If someone goes out of contention there's always someone else you have to watch out for."
i was referring to the interview that oln did after the 7 win, not the one in '03, in '03 lance had not talked to ullrich yet.therefore he trusted what hamilton had told him.

redLantern said:

This was not in any way comparable to that JU/LA incident. Moreau didn't seem to think it was unfair. Moreau was actually just at the back, he should have moved up.

Velonews : "What Vino did was not unfair," conceded Moreau. "Settling scores is part of the sport. When I attacked [in the Alps] he was not well. Today I was the one who was not that well. But the Tour is far from finished. It could have been even worse. I was well-supported by my team, because at one moment I was near a breaking point."

Eagle of Toledo said:
This was not in any way comparable to that JU/LA incident. Moreau didn't seem to think it was unfair. Moreau was actually just at the back, he should have moved up.

Velonews : "What Vino did was not unfair," conceded Moreau. "Settling scores is part of the sport. When I attacked [in the Alps] he was not well. Today I was the one who was not that well. But the Tour is far from finished. It could have been even worse. I was well-supported by my team, because at one moment I was near a breaking point."
i wasnt comparing to that incident, i was simply trying to say that there used to be a symbolic ethical code between the riders.not anymore though.

"You can say whatever you want about this," said T-Mobile's Bernard Eisel, who was caught out by the move. "Astana tried it, it worked out. I think Ag2r is not happy at the moment because Moreau crashed today. And then Astana attacked when everybody still had a feedbag around his neck. It's not gentlemanlike, but what's gentlemanlike in this Tour?" exactly my point.

holy ****, I can't believe no one mentioned Cancellara's efffort... he launched a failed attack in the last 2K, then was still able to take 2nd in the sprint... awesome. If he dropped 10lbs and focused on climbing he could become one of the best overall cyclists today.

wilmar13 said:
holy ****, I can't believe no one mentioned Cancellara's efffort... he launched a failed attack in the last 2K, then was still able to take 2nd in the sprint... awesome. If he dropped 10lbs and focused on climbing he could become one of the best overall cyclists today.
if he concentrated on climbing he wouldn't be good at anything.

rockinchair said:
if he concentrated on climbing he wouldn't be good at anything.
Sure just like what happened to Miguel Indurain when he dropped 10 lbs... he was also a year older than Cancellara is now when he won his first tour. I think Cancellara has perhaps even more ability than Indurain, but he could definitely become a GC contender by winning the same way big mig did...

There is no gentlemans agreement to wait on anyone ,but there is accepted etiquette to wait in the race leader if he has problems.
Is Moreau wearing yellow???

jhuskey said:
There is no gentlemans agreement to wait on anyone ,but there is accepted etiquette to wait in the race leader if he has problems.
Is Moreau wearing yellow???
+1
What you saw was solid race tactics. Being on the back end of a split sucks. Being on the team that causes it is a rush. Being lucky enough to find yourself in the front split is also a rush, but in a different way.

The tour is more than itts and high mountain passes. We're back to racing, folks. The LA years are behind us. One of the three big factors of stage racing is back on the table: wind.

helmutRoole2 said:
+1
What you saw was solid race tactics. Being on the back end of a split sucks. Being on the team that causes it is a rush. Being lucky enough to find yourself in the front split is also a rush, but in a different way.

The tour is more than tits and high mountain asses. We're back to racing, folks. The LA years are behind us. One of the three big factors of stage racing is back on the table: wind.

I haven't seen a post from you lately.
Notice how removing one letter from your post and transposing another changes the meaning.
Yes, we have a race this year!

t u i
itts and high mountain passes

If you think that crosswinds weren't a factor during Armstrongs rein, then you were either drinking too much beer or away from a tv during July.

davidbod said:
t u i
itts and high mountain passes

If you think that crosswinds weren't a factor during Armstrongs rein, then you were either drinking too much beer or away from a tv during July.
Because? Example?