Stage 12 TDF : Briancon - Digne les Bains : Spoiler

Discussion in 'Professional Cycling' started by limerickman, Jul 13, 2005.

1. Capt.Injury

Capt.Injury New Member

I am not sure how easy of a day this could be, it has been mention that Lance thinks this a very tough day. I know in the past he has made comments like this on stages that doesn't seem to be A "Thin the Contenders Put" stage, and has been right, so it be interesting to see.

I think Rasmussen is going to wait till a late stage climb in the Pyrennes, like Ax 3 Domaines or the Pla-D'Adet. It has been noticed that Armstrong just doesn't quite have the breakaway speed that he used to afew years ago. The stage the other day where Rasmussen, ValVerde, and Mancebo, a few years back Armstrong would have put a major acceleration on them and start pulling away from 3 of the 4 back in 2000-2001. This is where the age factor has crept in a little.

The best way to get to Armstrong is to wear down his shield, or team. It appears by Phonak is keen on this by sending Pereiro on attacks for 2 days, and Botero yesterday. This stage presents itself from its appearance as a stage where attacks are very possible and reasonable. Wouldn't be surprised if they try to attack again today.

EDIT: Of note for the rest of the Tour, CDC lost an important cog in the team after Voigt either abandoned or was out of the time gap yesterday ( i have read different reports saying both).

2. jhuskey

jhuskey Moderator

Attacking during the next few stages is the only option. Stage 13 is meaningless to the contenders except for burning up a little energy.
    The attacks have to come during the hard stages 14,15,16.
    Effective against DC,I doubt it,but if you don't try you might as well stay on the couch and drink vino.

3. mitosis

mitosis New Member

Hope the break stays away. I don't care about the green for O'Grady but I've no doubt anyone would begrudge him a stage win after all his years in this job.

4. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

Good win for Moncoutie today.

Several riders have packed today Boonen, Furlan.

Big talking point is Manuel Beltran abandoning today :

5. whiteboytrash

whiteboytrash New Member

- This is drugs related I bet you..... they told him to leave the Tour and they won't mention anything. We all know it. Go home drug cheat ! Go home !

- There is only one explanation for his super human riding on the peleton. Cheat.

6. thebluetrain

thebluetrain New Member

Out of retirement in only 39 minutes? What happened the old lady already get on your nerves?

7. alibat

alibat New Member

Good to see a Frenchman win on Bastille day,well done Moncoutie. Unfortunately I missed the end driving home from work (sorry, I just have far too much to carry to cycle in). Sad to see Boonen retire, I'd hoped to see him win the green jersey this year. What effect does everyone think Beltrans retirement will have on DSC?

8. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

Less dramatic, I'm afraid.

Beltran fell and lost consciousness : once that happens the commissaires don't allow you to continue.

9. whiteboytrash

whiteboytrash New Member

He passed out from exhaustion because he has way to many amphetamines pumping through his body.... Flyer where are you ? This is the truth.... one down eight to go !

- I think there is more to this story.

10. Lonnie Utah

Lonnie Utah Banned

From velonews...
    "JULY 14 - The French went one-two on Bastille Day in the Tour de France, as David Moncoutie (Cofidis) took the stage win ahead of countryman Sandy Casar (Française des Jeux)"

Too bad bad you weren't in Vegas! Good call.

L

11. whiteboytrash

whiteboytrash New Member

French TV asked LA after today's the stage: "If you were Basso or Ullrich, how would you beat Lance Armstrong? (Long pause, and smile) "I don't know... Can I answer tomorrow? Or maybe Sunday night?" !!

12. MJtje

MJtje New Member

Ah well it's all hopes huh.......everyone is making the beltran fall HUGE. Well it's 1 teammember less......so they need to do a little more.......still they will get help from teams in the coming days. Tomorrow the sprint teams and saturday and sunday maybe some help from rabo IF contenders attack the 2nd place

A better thing to talk about is why did Lotto control the peloton with Merckx in the break.........!!!!!!! Only for some stupid points....for the green jersey!

13. Capt.Injury

Capt.Injury New Member

It Did seem kinda strange to see several riders abandoned today, but obviously the big ones are Beltran and Boonen, eventhough Boonen isn't quite as surprising given the many crashes he has been in.

The drop of Beltran, will give T-Mobile and CSC that much more confidence in the Pyrennes, because they know there is one less Train cart on the ride. It will be interesting to see how aggressive the teams are especially CSC, since they seemed to be pretty passive so far (We all know T-Mobile is going to come out firing).

14. MJtje

MJtje New Member

Mentality of a winner........too bad the rest of the peloton always seem to ride for the 2nd place. It's slipped in there heads that LA can't be beaten........look at valverde, rasmussen, ullrich.......they all say it's impossible.......Maybe it is, still the mentality of the contenders need to be changed.......!

15. Rudy

Rudy New Member

Thanks for clearing that up ...I saw the commentaries earlier that he fell.

BTW, why do we allow such troll/trash in this forum with such behavior?

16. jhuskey

jhuskey Moderator

I will make this comment in regards to what you are conveying. When Rasmussen went out for the polka dot jersey and staged an amazing breakaway I think someone forgot to tell him he couldn't win the stage or the race.
    Maybe he still doesn't know.
    SHHHH nobody tell him!
    You never know what you can do if you don't know you can't do it.

17. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

Who is "they" ?

No one expressed a comment about Beltrans loss : merely stated that he had abandoned.

Ever hear of Tom Boonen ?
    He abandoned today.
    He was a favourite for Green Points Jersey.

Lotto chased because they wanted to eliminate O'Grady and Hushovd break in the front group.
    (O'grady and Hushovd are challenging McEwan, OF LOTTO, for the Green Jersey).

18. whiteboytrash

whiteboytrash New Member

Did Beltran really fall ? Hmmmm.... I think there is a bit in this story......

http://www.procycling.com/news.aspx?ID=1427

19. MJtje

MJtje New Member

Yep I know I said in my orignial post it was for the green jersey. Still it looked weird.........Merckx giving full gas in the front and Lotto driving in the peloton full gas........Anyway Mcewen should have been in the front group.....he realised it too late!

20. Lonnie Utah

Lonnie Utah Banned

My Zabriskie'ish (read sarcastic) reply would have been, "You can't, so you might as well stop trying...." ;)

L