Stage 13: Béziers - Montélimar, 230 km

steve

Administrator
Aug 12, 2001
Stage 13 - Saturday, July 15: Béziers - Montélimar, 230 km

Long and flat - McEwen will get another win ;)

Current jersey holders

maillotjaune.gif
Floyd LANDIS
maillotvert.gif
Robbie MC EWEN
maillotpois.gif
David DE LA FUENTE
maillotblanc.gif
Marcus FOTHEN

Live coverage:
http://live.cyclingnews.com/
http://www.letour.fr

It's even better than yesterday's stage for successful breakaway.
Voigt and some of Disco boys would love to find themselves in the right group.

Up and down stage today : 5 four cat climbs.
I think it's a roadmans stage today and my guess is that a Bettini-type rider could just nick it.

So I am going to disagree with my Aussie Administrator friend and I am going to nominate : Moreau.

Moreau is in good GC position, Phonak wouldn´t let him go...

Hincapie, however...

sonicman said:
Moreau is in good GC position, Phonak wouldn´t let him go...

Hincapie, however...
What about a Schleck or Zabriskie to salvage something for CSC?

Strong-looking group 20 mins out front: Jens Voigt (CSC), Oscar Pereiro (Caisse d'Epargne), Sylvain Chavanel (Cofidis), Manuel Quinziato (Liquigas) and Andriy Grivko (Milram).

Peleton all but stopping for coffee and a smoke in every village they pass. Phonak on the front but keeping the pace nice and handy.

Kesslers win,Voecklers attempt to bridge the gap on the break alone and Voigts win today. Amazing efforts and well deserved for Voigt.
Tomorrow might be a good day to send someone like Kessler in a break to create a chase and cause a little pain before the high Alps.

Andrija said:
It's even better than yesterday's stage for successful breakaway.
Voigt and some of Disco boys would love to find themselves in the right group.

Good call :)

Perreiro in yellow with a 1'29 lead!! Wow...he's a decent enough climber, was it a bit silly of Phonak to let that happen?
Meanwhile Boonen does it again...goes too early and as soon as he sees McEwen on his shoulder he sits up and lets McEwen and Caspar (I think, had the volume turned down) pass him.

That was a great stage. Great to see Jens nip it at the end! Good for CSC. And another new yellow jersey. I think we're up to 7 now. One more and they tie the record.

Tonto said:
Perreiro in yellow with a 1'29 lead!! Wow...he's a decent enough climber, was it a bit silly of Phonak to let that happen?
Meanwhile Boonen does it again...goes too early and as soon as he sees McEwen on his shoulder he sits up and lets McEwen and Caspar (I think, had the volume turned down) pass him.
I think Phonak let that happen, so that there'll be another team to control the stage for tomorrow and probably the stage after the rest day.

Meh, dodgy Voigt win isn't good :(.

That was a bad move by Phonak I think. I understand defending the yellow jersey is hard, but Pereiro had a great tour last year and knows how to climb. But he also cracked Thursday, so he might not be on his best shape...

The Alps will be crazy and simply amazing to watch.

Dead Star said:
I think Phonak let that happen, so that there'll be another team to control the stage for tomorrow and probably the stage after the rest day.

Meh, dodgy Voigt win isn't good :(.

Yeah I agree that's probably what happened with Phonak but all they done now is give themselves another contender to watch. Landis is the favourite anyway and the pressure's on whether he's in yellow or not.
Perreiro might have cracked in the Pyrenees but he could get a real boost from being in yellow and having something to defend.

sonicman said:
That was a bad move by Phonak I think. I understand defending the yellow jersey is hard, but Pereiro had a great tour last year and knows how to climb. But he also cracked Thursday, so he might not be on his best shape...

The Alps will be crazy and simply amazing to watch.
You know, I'm mad at Boonen for giving up when he see he can't get the first place during the sprint, the moment he realized Robbie was stronger, he just sat there on his bike and let momentum take him over the line, allowing another ride to get in between them.

I totally get his frustration, I just consider that bad sportmanship.

Orla_24 said:
You know, I'm mad at Boonen for giving up when he see he can't get the first place during the sprint, the moment he realized Robbie was stronger, he just sat there on his bike and let momentum take him over the line, allowing another ride to get in between them.

I totally get his frustration, I just consider that bad sportmanship.
It's not bad sportsmanship, that's Tommeke for you :p. And hey, Eisel's a good sprinter! :grr:

gotta love the changes in yellow. while i admit i was more tuned to the race last year because of the disco squad, i'm enjoying more teams actually having a chance to be in yellow.

159 073 HUNTER Robert PHO RSA 31' 00"
160 074 JALABERT Nicolas PHO FRA 31' 00"

ummmmmmmmmm, shouldn't they now be thrown out? :D

Tonto said:
Yeah I agree that's probably what happened with Phonak but all they done now is give themselves another contender to watch. Landis is the favourite anyway and the pressure's on whether he's in yellow or not.
Perreiro might have cracked in the Pyrenees but he could get a real boost from being in yellow and having something to defend.
Tough call.
Floyds a rock tho I just don't see him cracking. Perreiro has cracked & most likely will crack again during the 3 tough stages in the alps.

It mus thave been a choice by Phonak. They have a leader who is ahead of everybody else (leaving aside Perreiro) and who is probably the strongest ITTist of the GC contenders. They are emphasizing to Menchov, Evans, etc. that their teams better contribute, or they will lose their podium spot before he does in all likelihood.

adapa said:
Tough call.
Floyds a rock tho I just don't see him cracking. Perreiro has cracked & most likely will crack again during the 3 tough stages in the alps.
What, NO ONE is gonna comment on Pereiro wheel sucking Jens Voigt!!! :cool: