Stage 13 finish- WTF?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by trg, Sep 9, 2005.

  1. trg

    trg Guest

    Weird finish today. Ardilla thought the line was 100 meters before it
    actually was. Pereiro too. Also the Eurosport announcers as did I. The
    reason is that there was a banner (not a 100 meter to go banner) stretched
    across the road at around the 100 meter mark. But the funny thing is that
    the Euskatel guy who greets the riders with towels and drinks as they cross
    the finish, was stationed just after the banner at around 100 meters to go.
    I can understand how the EuroSport commentators (and I) could get it wrong,
    since all we had was the long range camera shot that we saw for the first
    time as the riders were battling it out. We couldn't see the ground in the
    shot, but could see the banner stretched acroiss the road. And similar fot
    the riders who are approaching at full speed and who may be keying in on the
    banner rather than a line on the road. But how the hell did the Euskatel guy
    get it wrong?

    Sanchez certainly had a cat-ate-the-canary grin as he passed the line. Was
    it an intentional fakeout? If so, it was a brilliant (albeit slimey) move.

    Tags:

  2. Mike Bruno

    Mike Bruno Guest

    trg wrote:
    > Weird finish today. Ardilla thought the line was 100 meters before it
    > actually was. Pereiro too. Also the Eurosport announcers as did I. The
    > reason is that there was a banner (not a 100 meter to go banner) stretched
    > across the road at around the 100 meter mark. But the funny thing is that
    > the Euskatel guy who greets the riders with towels and drinks as they cross
    > the finish, was stationed just after the banner at around 100 meters to go.
    > I can understand how the EuroSport commentators (and I) could get it wrong,
    > since all we had was the long range camera shot that we saw for the first
    > time as the riders were battling it out. We couldn't see the ground in the
    > shot, but could see the banner stretched acroiss the road.

    Vellosnooze reported that it was the KOM banner.