Stage 14 results

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by David Corsi, Jul 20, 2003.

  1. David Corsi

    David Corsi Guest

    Lance is still the leader Jan trails by 15 seconds Vino trails BY 19 SECONDS (big 41 sec jump)

    tommorow is D-day, Lance has to gain something on these guys. anything.

    Tags:

  2. J Jones

    J Jones Guest

    "David Corsi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Lance is still the leader Jan trails by 15 seconds Vino trails BY 19 SECONDS (big 41 sec jump)
    >
    > tommorow is D-day, Lance has to gain something on these guys. anything.

    Lance seems to be playing "not to lose" vs. "to win". He's just not on form. He needs to attack
    tomorrow, and then win the time trial, or he's toast. Jeff

  3. 18 secs!

    Incredible comeback for Simoni. Yesterday his DS begged him to leave. He should have asked this
    earlier :)

    "David Corsi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Lance is still the leader Jan trails by 15 seconds Vino trails BY 19 SECONDS (big 41 sec jump)
    >
    > tommorow is D-day, Lance has to gain something on these guys. anything.

  4. David Corsi

    David Corsi Guest

    sorry... this is the official times:

    Lance Armstrong is still 15" ahead of his nearest rival, Jan Ullrich. Alexandre Vinokourov is now
    only 18" behind the four-time champion. The new top 10 after today's stage is:
    1. Armstrong
    2. Ullrich at 15"
    3. Vinokourov at 18"
    4. Zubeldia at 4'16"
    5. Mayo at 4'37"
    6. Basso at 7'01"
    7. Hamilton at 7'32"
    8. Mancebo at 10'09"
    9. Moreau at 10'09"
    10. Sastre at 12'40"

  5. David Off

    David Off Guest

    David Corsi wrote:
    > Lance is still the leader Jan trails by 15 seconds Vino trails BY 19 SECONDS (big 41 sec jump)
    >
    > tommorow is D-day, Lance has to gain something on these guys. anything.

    Lance is feeling on better form today after the 'disaterous' time trial and thinks he will go well
    tomorrow with the uphill stage finish and thinks, going on past form, that he should be able to win
    it in the final time trial.

    [from interview at the finish]

    David

  6. David Off

    David Off Guest

    David Corsi wrote:
    > sorry... this is the official times:
    >
    > Lance Armstrong is still 15" ahead of his nearest rival, Jan Ullrich. Alexandre Vinokourov is now
    > only 18" behind the four-time champion. The new top 10 after today's stage is:
    > 1. Armstrong
    > 2. Ullrich at 15"
    > 3. Vinokourov at 18"
    > 4. Zubeldia at 4'16"
    > 5. Mayo at 4'37"
    > 6. Basso at 7'01"
    > 7. Hamilton at 7'32"
    > 8. Mancebo at 10'09"
    > 9. Moreau at 10'09"
    > 10. Sastre at 12'40"

    Millar blew up on the first col, bronchitus I think. We are still waiting for him to finish, no news
    of him abandoning but apparently he had severe breathing trouble.

    Virenque is almost unassailabe in the polkadot jersey - his sixth

  7. David Corsi

    David Corsi Guest

    I think Armstrong must not feel strong enough to attack. Perhaps he wants to attack tommorow, maybe
    gain 30 seconds to 1 minute (if he can) on Jan and Vino... and hope for a return to form in the
    last ITT on Saturday. I mean he clearly has to do better in the last ITT because he will not enter
    it in the lead by much *if at all*. Tommorow will be amazing, to bad I have to go to work in the
    morning. :-(

  8. > Lance seems to be playing "not to lose" vs. "to win". He's just not on form.

    No, as he is recovering from severe dehydration. It's wise for him not to attack at this point, even
    though its frustrating to see him let his rivals at #2 and #3 eat away at his lead.

    > He needs to attack tomorrow, and then win the time trial, or he's toast.

    I'd agree with that. The commentators say that he looked good today, so perhaps he will be ready to
    finally launch an attack tomorrow? He'll certainly have time to recover for the final ITT.

    BTW, in a post-stage interview today he described his ITT as a disaster (if the translation was
    accurate).

  9. David Corsi

    David Corsi Guest

    that has got to be the plan... try to attack tommorow (for the first time this entire tour mind you)
    and gain 30-60 seconds (no way he gets more unless Jan and Vino blow up) on them and then come in #1
    in the ITT without a disasterous finish like in the last ITT. needless to say tommorow and next
    Saturday will be some of the best bike racing we have seen in more than a decade. it should be
    amazing, and *if* (and it is a big *if*) Lance wins this year no one dare question his heart, ever.

  10. David Off

    David Off Guest

    David Corsi wrote:
    > that has got to be the plan... try to attack tommorow (for the first time this entire tour mind
    > you) and gain 30-60 seconds (no way he gets more unless Jan and Vino blow up) on them and then
    > come in #1 in the ITT without a disasterous finish like in the last ITT. needless to say tommorow
    > and next Saturday will be some of the best bike racing we have seen in more than a decade. it
    > should be amazing, and *if* (and it is a big *if*) Lance wins this year no one dare question his
    > heart, ever.

    To me Ulrich and Lance seem about equal on form. The Tourmalet will be difficult for both of them,
    after rolling through the valley it is a steep series of hairpins to the summit.

    Rogers did a fantastic job for Virinque today and may be someone to watch in coming years.

    Virenque said he still feels good but did a lot of work today at the front. He was fed-up that
    neither he nor his buddy Dufaux won, but Simoni did a lot of work on the climb so I think it was a
    good result.

  11. J Jones

    J Jones Guest

    "David Corsi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I think Armstrong must not feel strong enough to attack. Perhaps he wants
    > attack tommorow, maybe gain 30 seconds to 1 minute (if he can) on Jan and Vino... and hope for a
    > return to form in the last ITT on Saturday.
    I was thinking the same thing - today may have been one more 'recovery' day for him after the
    dehydration. Tomorrow's the day though. There's really not much more time to lose to his opponents
    (15 & 19 seconds!). He's got to put at least some breathing room between himself and them. While I
    think he'll be in good form for the final TT, it's extreme pressure (for him and the others) for the
    tour to boil down to the final TT. What a tour this is - riveting!! Jeff

    > I mean he clearly has to do better in the last ITT because he will not enter it in
    the
    > lead by much *if at all*. Tommorow will be amazing, to bad I have to go to work in the
    > morning. :-(

  12. mtnclymber

    mtnclymber Guest

    David Corsi <[email protected]> wrote:

    > and *if* (and it is a big *if*) Lance wins this year no one dare question his heart, ever.

    You must be new to RBR.

  13. Fred Marx

    Fred Marx Guest

    Erik van Leeuwen wrote:

    > 18 secs!
    >
    > Incredible comeback for Simoni. Yesterday his DS begged him to leave. He should have asked this
    > earlier :)

    interesting they shelled off the entire team saturday working at the front... Who do you suppose
    they made that deal with..

  14. David Off

    David Off Guest

    Erik van Leeuwen wrote:
    > 18 secs!
    >
    > Incredible comeback for Simoni. Yesterday his DS begged him to leave. He should have asked this
    > earlier :)

    He's just been intervied, he said that he came to the Tour to win, he now realises that he made a
    big mistake but has learnt a lot from the his experience. Today's stage win makes up to some extent
    for his shame in the Alps and hopes to do better next year.

  15. Well, I think Simoni deserved to win, because he was the only one of the three (four at the first
    attack) that tried to attack uphill. Pretty gutsy for a guy who looked pretty tired on the second to
    last climb.

    //M

    "David Off" <[email protected]> skrev i meddelandet
    news:[email protected]...
    > David Corsi wrote:
    > > that has got to be the plan... try to attack tommorow (for the first
    time
    > > this entire tour mind you) and gain 30-60 seconds (no way he gets more unless Jan and Vino blow
    > > up) on them and then come in #1 in the ITT
    without
    > > a disasterous finish like in the last ITT. needless to say tommorow and
    next
    > > Saturday will be some of the best bike racing we have seen in more than
    > > decade. it should be amazing, and *if* (and it is a big *if*) Lance wins this year no one dare
    > > question his heart, ever.
    > >

    > To me Ulrich and Lance seem about equal on form. The Tourmalet will be difficult for both of them,
    > after rolling through the valley it is a steep series of hairpins to the summit.
    >
    > Rogers did a fantastic job for Virinque today and may be someone to watch in coming years.
    >
    > Virenque said he still feels good but did a lot of work today at the front. He was fed-up that
    > neither he nor his buddy Dufaux won, but Simoni did a lot of work on the climb so I think it was a
    > good result.

  16. David Corsi

    David Corsi Guest

    people know he has heart etc. but many have said that in the last few years that with the help of
    his team and early time gaps in the first set of mountains the Tour became less exciting and
    Armstrong never had real pressure on his lead or ability to win. my point here is we have never seen
    Armstrong holding a narrow lead like this over not 1 but 2 competitors so late in the tour. if he
    pulls out the win this will only add to the legend.

    > You must be new to RBR.

  17. Nick Burns

    Nick Burns Guest

    "Erik van Leeuwen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > 1. Vinokourov :)

    How often have you seen a guy go from the Tour podium to win the Vuelta in the same year?

    Never. Ask Beloki what happens when he tries.

  18. Corey Green

    Corey Green Guest

    "Erik van Leeuwen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > 1. Vinokourov :)

    Considering the season Vinokourov has had so far I would be seriously surprised if he contended for
    the Vuelta.

  19. Considering the season he had so far everyone is totally surprised that he's 3rd in the GC... So
    what's next for him? Worldcup, Vuelta, Worldchampionship?

    news:[email protected]...