Stage 14 TDF : Agde - Ax-3 Domaines : Spoiler

infantrycak said:
OLN may have it wrong, but on today's broadcast they were only predicting about 75 F for the next two days. Frankly I think folks make too much out of Armstrong having a heat problem just because he had one bad stage when it happened to be "hot." Armstrong lives and trains in Austin for a good part of the year and grew up in Texas so he is used to temperatures exceeding 100 F.
Jan seems to think otherwise. http://www.t-mobile-team.com/cms/tmoteam/en/tourdefrance/templateId=renderInternalPage/yearID=2005/monthID=6/eventID=59638/stageID=59304/factID=65158/id=61018.html

limerickman said:
I'm still sticking with Kloden !

I think Basso might have a go, perhaps.

In thinking a bit more about this Rasmussen will probably try to stay at the lead of the group and just pick up points in KOM.

Vino ?
Depending how he feels, he might try a breakaway but it's up to the other TM riders to try to do something if they can.
My prediction ...... Ullrich , Armstrong . Basso , and maybe Rasmussen will go into the final kilometer together ...... All because of a Vino/Kloden attack. There might be a Discovery Spanish goat in there, and if the goat gets shaken by an explosive attack from LA or the others , Ullrich will falter too. I expect an attack from LA in the next few days. It will happen when a few of the contenders are shaken. I honestly believe that Vino will do nothing to help Ullrich unless it's in his own best interests. Vino may be the only one still that is a realistic contender barring a crash/ sickness of LA"s. When you are an attacker , and the slopes are steep, a few minutes mean nothing. He has the mindset to win.
"el Diablo !!!!!"
In my opinion Vino is the perfect fit for Discovery next year. With Vino's personality and Johanns guidance he will carry on the Texas swagger !!!!!
"Pantani lives !!!!!!!"

Ullefan said:
Jan seems to think otherwise.
Wow. Is LA's legacy going to be about one bad day in 7 Tours ????? Ullrich should have listened to what he said .. "the next day he [LA]came out firing...."
I saw a quote from Rasmussen on one of the websites where he thinks LA is beatable by Rasmussen...... Hasn't he ever noticed what happens to riders that question LA and says he is beatable ???? I bet the other contenders groaned when they read what Rasmussen said. They are thinking to themselves." That's all we need is another reason for LA to go and prove something to the cycling world." Contrary to what Flyer may think, LA boosts himself with the drug called "Driven Intensity ." It's available at birth for a select few individuals.

"Driven Intensity ." It's available at birth for a select few individuals.[/QUOTE]

I must have been asleep that day.

wolfix said:
Wow. Is LA's legacy going to be about one bad day in 7 Tours ????? Ullrich should have listened to what he said .. "the next day he [LA]came out firing...."
I saw a quote from Rasmussen on one of the websites where he thinks LA is beatable by Rasmussen...... Hasn't he ever noticed what happens to riders that question LA and says he is beatable ???? I bet the other contenders groaned when they read what Rasmussen said. They are thinking to themselves." That's all we need is another reason for LA to go and prove something to the cycling world." Contrary to what Flyer may think, LA boosts himself with the drug called "Driven Intensity ." It's available at birth for a select few individuals.
so you think its wrong that rasmussen thinks he can beat lance it would be better that he like almost all the other guys just went in there racing for second place and not try to do nothing about lances dominance i mean if they think they have no chance might as well quit and go home.

wolfix said:
So you would rather they admit they can't beat him like Basso does and never challenege?

i think tmo will lead the attacks on dsc this weekend, but basso and lance have the best chance to reap the rewards.

tmo--and dsc, csc, rabbo etc--must be looking for jan to be the main gc contender in pink, but there is also the resurgent vino to deal with and kloden looked very strong on that cat 1 as he pulled jan up the hill. i suspect that sat will see vino go on a tear on the first climb and make dsc burn out to run him down. kloden, basso, rasmussen and jan will ride more conservatively until the final climb where they hope vino will have burned off some of lance's cronies, and then...who knows? i wouldn't mind seeing a "slugfest" between these guys--though i suspect lance will finish close on the winner's heels if he isn't first.

my pick is basso, who has proven he can finish up on lance in the mountains.

Lance, like every rider, is going to have his bad days. The trick is to spot them and make the most of the opportunity when it comes. At least Rasmussen is getting himself psyched up to be ready. Ullrich seems to be looking for the opening as well. That is to their credit. Luck favors the prepared. ;)

And yeah, limerickman, Kloden still scares me. Vino too, but Kloden can take over the race given half an opening to it. To me, he is still the real wild card. Will Godefroot send him though, or still have him anchored to Ullrich if support is needed?

oops, forgot to add: basso won't gain any time except a first place bonus on lance because he'll just ride wheels up to the final 500 meters.

rule62 said:
Lance, like every rider, is going to have his bad days. The trick is to spot them and make the most of the opportunity when it comes. At least Rasmussen is getting himself psyched up to be ready. Ullrich seems to be looking for the opening as well. That is to their credit. Luck favors the prepared. ;)

And yeah, limerickman, Kloden still scares me. Vino too, but Kloden can take over the race given half an opening to it. To me, he is still the real wild card. Will Godefroot send him though, or still have him anchored to Ullrich if support is needed?

Got it on pretty good authority that the first of the trio that see's an opportunity will take the shot.
If the opportunity arises.

There will be a big break of non GC contenders trying to get time before they hit the col's. Dsc and all the usual suspects will catch them before the end....

L

I can see Lance winning DC will accelerate at Palheres and Ax 3 Domaines, being shorter and steeper than Courchevel, is better for late attacks and that´s why I think he might win.

Just got done watching the OLN coverage. They interviewed Lance after the race. He said something to the effect of "we know the next 3 days are going to decide the tour''...we know that t-mobile is going to attack on the first climb...hopefully the boys can ride tempo and reel them in and then in the last climb I will see what I can do....

Should be a great stage!

Ullefan said:
So you would rather they admit they can't beat him like Basso does and never challenege?
That's a good point, except I think the question posed wasn't whether Rasmussen should have the confidence to attack --- the issue is whether he is wise to voice his intentions so boldly, especially in a manner that suggests he believes Armstrong is vulnerable.

Here in the states we call that "bulletin board material". Armstrong has his faults, among them is his tendency to be unreasonably callous in his manner of holding a grudge (e.g., Simeoni). But that almost meanspirited tenacity has served him well in the Tour, and I don't think it's a coincidence that those who call him out are usually the ones he takes the most pleasure in leaving behind.

Here's a concern: CSC 2004 redux. What if Rasmussen avoids attacking because he wants to defend second, like Basso last year?

limerickman said:
You predicted the finish on the Galibier stage perfectly.

Thanks Lim, but I think I can only get lucky with predictions once per Grand Tour :)

tcklyde said:
Here's a concern: CSC 2004 redux. What if Rasmussen avoids attacking because he wants to defend second, like Basso last year?

i think maybe the reason basso was riding to defend second is because he isn't good enough in the tt to win tours, and i think he knows this. is it possible for him to win if he doesn't improve his time trialing?

T MObile will probably throw a few things in tomorrow, LA wil (my opinion) just hang with the group unless they weaken a bit. I also think the spaniards, such as Euskatel, will ride well since we're approaching Spanish turf. LA will hold his persinal attacks 'til Sunday. Should be interesting anyhoot. Oh, and Rasmussen wins tomorrows stage.

jitmo said:
T MObile will probably throw a few things in tomorrow, LA wil (my opinion) just hang with the group unless they weaken a bit. I also think the spaniards, such as Euskatel, will ride well since we're approaching Spanish turf. LA will hold his persinal attacks 'til Sunday. Should be interesting anyhoot. Oh, and Rasmussen wins tomorrows stage.

I was just surfing around cyclingnews.com and read Levi Leipheimers Tour diary. He said after stage 10:

Here's a funny example: Kloden rode up to Floyd today after Vino was dropped and he asked him if Vino attacked. It's his own teammate and he didn't know he was dropped. It's funny in a way but when you're suffering on a climb like that it's easy to lose touch with what's going on around you.

I mean this with great repsect to Telekom, but: What the hell? Is that strategy? Is there a plan or is it all for one and one for all? Would Disco ever not know what one of their riders were planning. Hell, would CSC ever say to Sastre: do whatever feels good?

This is exactly why they are always in the "mix" of things. Again, no disrespect to TMobile, but i think they are riding on how they feel that day. Time is running out for hope to work, so it's like do what you can to disrupt. That is odd not having a plan for even a flat stage, but maybe someone didn't pay attention at breakfast. I know i'd be tired. Haha.

tcklyde said:
I was just surfing around cyclingnews.com and read Levi Leipheimers Tour diary. He said after stage 10:

I mean this with great repsect to Telekom, but: What the hell? Is that strategy? Is there a plan or is it all for one and one for all? Would Disco ever not know what one of their riders were planning. Hell, would CSC ever say to Sastre: do whatever feels good?