Stage 14 TDF : Agde - Ax-3 Domaines : Spoiler

Discussion in 'Professional Cycling' started by limerickman, Jul 15, 2005.

1. mr tibbs

mr tibbs New Member

i think klodi and jan chased vino because tmo has finally decided who their leader will be.

vino played his role for the day--he attacked and blew up the peleton. more specifically, he blew up dsc, and that left kloden to pace the group on the last climb, giving tmo control instead of dsc.

maybe vino attacked out of script, i don't know, but i think tmo came into this looking to advance jan by expending vino and kloden, and they did it.

2. mr tibbs

mr tibbs New Member

3. Girotour

Girotour New Member

Great race by T-Mobile and Ullrich. They showed again that they attack after Vosges, Vino in Alpes and today Ullrich. Lance very strong, Basso ok but he doesn't want to race for first place. The three guys showed that they are the best riders in the tour and should finish on podium. The Vino attack at the end was just a test for Amstrong, as they saw Armstrong did not want to follow Vino Klöden paced for Ullrich as he has to have high tempo so that Lance cannot attack. It was obvious Vino couldn't win this stage and is toow eak to stay with Lance and Jan in the mountains, so nothing wrong with Klöden's pursue. Vino is the attack guy and knows what his role is. Impressive show by Lance, Ullrich lost some seconds at the end but you could see in his face how he was putting in everything he had to finish fourth. Klöden, Vino, Jan in Top 10 and putting on a show this year. Without them it would be very boring as I couldn't imagine CSC to attack.

4. tinks

tinks New Member

It does seem that way. Certainly Kloden seems clearly to be in Ullrich's corner.

I wouldn't be surprised if T-Mobile have 'cut him loose' so to speak. Maybe they've asked him to help with the initial attack and then given him a free hand to chase his own goals whether it be a stage win or GC. He did seem to be the main cause of the rift within the team and disunity is something you have to cut out like a cancer.

5. Lonnie Utah

Lonnie Utah Banned

I'm in Draper. Shoot me a PM sometime...

L

6. MJtje

MJtje New Member

Wow, what a stage! And what a tactic from T-mobile which is good........but why did ullrich chase vino 2 times back........1 time alone and 1 time kloden did that???????? (still haven't learned from there mistakes!)

And like LA or not........you gotta respect his calm/cool attitude! Never was he in trouble. Ullrich and Basso got a gap and he looked how big it would be and looked around how rasmussen was and he was gone...........

What will tomorrow bring.........clearly LA can't be beaten, but there can be fireworks. This is not a boring tour.......:cool:

7. rule62

rule62 New Member

LOL...yeah I know the feeling huskey. I'm babysitting my six year-old for the day. He is great for recovery rides, but isn't up for climb repeats just yet. :cool:

A lot of great effort today, but some strange disconnects in terms of strategy. TM did a fantastic job of riding Armstrong out into the open. I'm not sure what their riding down Vino was all about. If they were just wanting to keep the pressure on Armstrong, then we will see tomorrow how much they were able to take out of him. Ullrich showed a lot of class today. He was right there giving it his all. You've got to love that about the guy.

Basso was at his wheel sucking best. I guess Riis wasn't kidding in his comments about Armstrong being strong enough to win no matter what. Maybe he does have Basso riding for second after all. I was hoping that Basso would drop the hammer and make a statement for himself once Ullrich dropped back.

Great ride by Totschnig today. He put everything he had out on the road and it paid off. You've got to love that.

Tomorrow will be long, hard and maybe a bit hot. Can't wait. ;)

8. nonameboy

nonameboy New Member

why is that when ullrich cant follow he almost stops he almost lost 20s in 500 meters i mean mancebo and rasmussen were left behind in the start of the climb but they found they´re rithim and didn´t loose much time.

9. tinks

tinks New Member

It was much stranger than that. Vino attacked and they chased him down on two seperate occassions.

The second incident was especially bizzare because Kloden and Ullrich were already at the front, setting the pace when Vino attacked and they continued with the pacemaking and brought him back.

10. MJtje

MJtje New Member

Because he was allready a long time on the limit and it was with 500 metres to go so he couldn't recuperate which the other could!!

And let's not forget totschnig........nice win all day out!

11. Girotour

Girotour New Member

No, the first pursue of Vino was understandable, as Basso followed him. Armstrong showed he did not want to pursue but let them gain 30 seconds him and Ullrich had to follow Basso. Vino said on TV he knows that his role is to attack and to split up Discovery, not to win the tour anymore as he lost so much time and cannot go with Lance, Jan and Basso in the mountains.

12. Lonnie Utah

Lonnie Utah Banned

I think you guys are being too hard on Jan. He very well could have ridden himself onto the podium in Paris with his effort today. He's 4th GC and we all know Rassmussen isn't going to be able to TT with the big boys. Yeah, he lost 18 seconds, but still had a great ride.

At least T-mobile tried to attack Lance today....

L

13. MJtje

MJtje New Member

Lonni utah tell me what he goal of T-mobile is and especially of Jan ullrich. With the money the pump in that team he should have delivered a lot earlier...................so it's right we are hard on Ullrich! I wish Godefroot and his teammates were on Ullrich!!!!!!!!

14. Lonnie Utah

Lonnie Utah Banned

The goal of T-moblie on July 2nd or on July 16th? :D

L

15. nonameboy

nonameboy New Member

i was just asking a question,many guys get left behind but they find they´re rithim and they dont loose a lot of time but ullrich cant do that when he´s left behind he almost stops.
    he was very good today he atacked and so did basso,but armstrong is still the strongest.

16. Lonnie Utah

Lonnie Utah Banned

NNB,

To be fair to Jan, I think some of that time was lost when Lance and Basso lifted the tempo to the line in the finishing "sprint"....

L

17. Ullefan

Ullefan New Member

If you saw live coverage you'd know that the T-mobile car wasn't allowed to get through to Jan before the last climb, Discovery team car was deliberately staying right up there with the group on the descent. The commentators were even suggesting that Bruyneel should be given a race number. I don't know if that affected Jan, but it could have done.

18. musette

musette New Member

If I were LA, I wouldn't have gone to the front at all after it were just LA, JU and Basso in the end, after Totschig. That's because LA knows Basso and JU want to gain time on Rassmussen and get onto the podium. Sure, LA wants to distance Rassmussen too, but force Basso and JU to do all the work and then attack them.

19. tinks

tinks New Member

I agree. He can grind away but he doesn't have that turn of speed to keep up with Armstrong. He rides in such a big gear it's much harder for him to suddenly pick his pace up.

In the end he only lost something like 15/20 seconds which is pretty much the time Basso and Armstong gained on him when they broke away.

20. tinks

tinks New Member

On the same tack; Armstrong took on a bottle on the way up a climb, will he punished? If so, what punishment? A time penalty or a fine?