Stage 15: Gap - L’Alpe d’Huez, 187km.

Deli said:
Who got 8 seconds?? Landis? Wrong. It was Garzelli.
As Bob Roll explained:
"And Garzelli inexplciably sprints for the time bonus, taking it away fromthe GC men for whom it matters."

bobke said:
As Bob Roll explained:
"And Garzelli inexplciably sprints for the time bonus, taking it away fromthe GC men for whom it matters."
Bob Roll sucks ****.

There are cash bonuses for a stage placing, so maybe Garzelli was going for this? Tough **** if Landis wasn't able to get it.

whiteboytrash said:
Well if Landis does hang on to win he will be the first winner to never be on the front of the group or peleton in the history of the race..... he did nothing today and made Kloden do all the work.... not smart riding... every time Kolden pulled over Landis stopped riding.... I guess he riding the Hincapie way...
Also, I suppose you forgot that Landis did the majority of the work on the Puerto de Beret last week, when he had Kloden in trouble:

From the letour.com dispatches:

17:13 - 3km To Go... The five riders are still together in the lead of the stage. Landis is still at the front of the quinet which is now 3km from the finish.

17:11 - 4km To Go... Landis is still in the lead of the five with 4km to go. He has been setting the tempo for over a kilometer. It’s fast enough to hold off the chase by Kloden who is about 40" behind

As for today, Landis took his chances:

From the letour.com recap:

Landis attacked a number of times and Kloden was always able to follow.
Take your T-mobile bias and choke on it.

whiteboytrash said:
Because Landis had done nothing and they were worried Landis would cheat and attack and gain some time.... he got the 8 seconds in the end but should of given it to Kloden...
You have found a new target to attack! Congrats!

Oh, by the way...

16:17 CEST 178km/9km to go
Leipheimer's group passes Menchov, who has blown.

Then Landis attacks the Klöden/Evans group. Klöden marks him. Evans doesn't.

16:25 CEST
Landis, Klöden, Leipheimer and Sastre are now together, coming up to Merckx. But Landis attacks up to his teammate!!

JRMDC said:

Oh, by the way...

Landis, Klöden, Leipheimer and Sastre are now together, coming up to Merckx. But Landis attacks up to his teammate!!
Although I don't agree with WBT on Landis' riding you shouldn't comment when you haven't seen the stage. Because with the exception of two 10 sec attacks he wheelsucked all the way up. He called it defending, it's wheelsucking but he is entitled to do it as he is in the race to win it not pull Kloeden up the mountain.

Dead Star said:
Bob Roll sucks ****.

There are cash bonuses for a stage placing, so maybe Garzelli was going for this? Tough **** if Landis wasn't able to get it.
I completely agree. Even if there were not cash bonuses involved, it's about racing, isn't it? If a rider wants to finish 3rd instead of 4th, he should be able to go for it. If a GC contender needs the bonus, then he ought to go get it.

I'm rooting for Landis partially because he's a fellow countryman, but I cannot abide Roll's commentary because it's always filtered through the enjoyment he gets out of being an ugly American. As such, it's often weird or outright inaccurate. If the tables were turned and Landis was a second-tier rider sprinting for third, Roll would declare it a brave effort and then move on to the bathroom to change his underwear.

JRMDC said:
Didn't take long, did it?

Call it wheel sucking, call it defending, whatever. If he is in Yellow in Paris, it is smart riding. If he is not, then we can second guess his tactics.

***********, so now we're analysing stages by copying and pasting excerpts from text updates of what people wrote about the stage? That's rather low to say that least :eek:

DV1976 said:
Although I don't agree with WBT on Landis' riding you shouldn't comment when you haven't seen the stage. Because with the exception of two 10 sec attacks he wheelsucked all the way up. He called it defending, it's wheelsucking but he is entitled to do it as he is in the race to win it not pull Kloeden up the mountain.
Landis looks very content to just ride wheels until the time-trial, and since he has the lead, that is all that is necessary from him. If Honchar can come up with another TT in the last one like he did in the first one, then Landis can be the first Winner to not win a stage since Lemond.

The other interesting development was the disappearance of Rabobank. You can't tell me that Rasmussen, Boogerd, and Menchov all had bad days. This tell me that Rabobank ill-prepared on the rest day. We all know people react funny to a mountain stage after an off day, but like I said I find it to be more in training related when all 3 was not good.

Dead Star said:
***********, so now we're analysing stages by copying and pasting excerpts from text updates of what people wrote about the stage? That's rather low to say that least :eek:
How so? We are refuting WBT's bitter Landis bashing by posting the observations of those who are paid to report the stage developments.

"Low" is bashing a competitor who put in a great effort simply because he isn't wearing pink. *********** indeed.

Bro Deal said:
I hope so. I would much rather see the strongest of those two win it instead of Disco squad conspiring with Rabo to destroy Flandis' chances--perhaps just so Armstrong can screw Landis over.

No one in DC is trying to destroy FL's chances. Period. The LA thing is water under the bridge. Get over it.

rejobako said:
How so? We are refuting WBT's bitter Landis bashing by posting the observations of those who are paid to report the stage developments.

"Low" is bashing a competitor who put in a great effort simply because he isn't wearing pink. *********** indeed.
Why don't you just watch the stage yourself?

whiteboytrash said:
Well if Landis does hang on to win he will be the first winner to never be on the front of the group or peleton in the history of the race..... he did nothing today and made Kloden do all the work.... not smart riding... every time Kolden pulled over Landis stopped riding.... I guess he riding the Hincapie way...

Don't be a FL hater.....seems to me that he is riding a very smart race. He has time on Kloden, so he can just sit on Klode's wheel. Why risk blowing it at this point. Kloden needs the time, not FL.

cPritch67 said:
Don't be a FL hater.....seems to me that he is riding a very smart race. He has time on Kloden, so he can just sit on Klode's wheel. Why risk blowing it at this point. Kloden needs the time, not FL.

You are correct and I have posted something similar previously. Now I am ready to talk about stage 16.
Anyone else? Is it Wednesday yet?

whiteboytrash said:
Because Landis had done nothing and they were worried Landis would cheat and attack and gain some time.... he got the 8 seconds in the end but should of given it to Kloden...

Are we watching the same race? Who got the 8 seconds? If you are referring to the 3rd place time bonus, it was Garzelli who sprinted past FL and Kloden for the placing.

cPritch67 said:
I think tomorrow is the key stage for Landis. If he can withstand the attacks then he will most likely win. The problem is that his team can't help him. TAking that into consideration he rode very shrewdly today as he knew he would have two more hard days in the mountains to face essentially alone.

jhuskey said:
You are correct and I have posted something similar previously. Now I am ready to talk about stage 16.
Anyone else? Is it Wednesday yet?

Missison accomplished for today.......as for tomorrow, I think we will see more of the same.
The waking up at 4am to watch this live (US - west coast) is starting to take it's toll. :p

cPritch67 said:
Missison accomplished for today.......as for tomorrow, I think we will see more of the same.
The waking up at 4am to watch this live (US - west coast) is starting to take it's toll. :p

Move this way, we have the same coverage late and less earth movement.

This driives me insane... I like Landis but I WATCHED THE RACE LIVE SO DON'T QUOTE ME FROM THE TEXT UPDATES ! Geezzz !

JRMDC said:

Oh, by the way...

jhuskey said:
Move this way, we have the same coverage late and less earth movement.

Yeah, but then I'd have to stay up late to watch some other second tier sports (MNF, NBA playoffs, etc..)...... :rolleyes:

and more importantly, I'd be at work where I couldn't watch it live.