Stage 15 TDF :Lézat-sur-Lèze - Saint-Lary Soulan (Pla d'Adet) : Spoiler

musette said:
Upcoming ITT involves riders starting 3 minutes apart for the final starters. Even at 3 minutes, JU will likely catch Rasmussen and maybe LA will catch Basso (?).

That is if JU manages to overtake Rasmussen in the upcomming stages before the upcoming ITT because as it is... won't Ulrich be starting before Rasmussen?

David_Zen said:
That is if JU manages to overtake Rasmussen in the upcomming stages before the upcoming ITT because as it is... won't Ulrich be starting before Rasmussen?

How dare you question that "analysis" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(err, of course you're correct, but you'll never get an admission from that part of the house)

David_Zen said:

You're right.
But the way you pointed that out was analytical and respectful, unlike some other posters on this board who might be viewed as lacking the ability or inclination to adopt a similar approach. :D

Now this is weird. Letour says:

"Even the Discovery Channel team’s director Johan Bruyneel started hinting that it was an option to make Hincapie – a rider who made his reputation in the one-day Classics of Spring but also the only man who has ridden with Armstrong for every one of his six Tour victories – the team captain at next year’s Tour. “I’m trying to deal with one thing at the moment,” said Hincapie. “I’ve just won the biggest race of my life. Let me think about that first. I’ve been working hard for Lance, and for Johan to start saying stuff like that is pretty amazing. If he wants to give me a shot, I’ll do what I can.”"

I don't think Hincapie should even be co-leader. :confused:

Paceline says: "Hincapie admitted to be as happy winning today as he would have been to have won Paris-Roubaix last spring, where he again came so close to the race he has dedicated himself to over the last 10 years."

That means a lot to Hincapie, naturally. He wants most to win Paris-Roubaix.

musette said:

"Even the Discovery Channel team’s director Johan Bruyneel started hinting that it was an option to make Hincapie – a rider who made his reputation in the one-day Classics of Spring but also the only man who has ridden with Armstrong for every one of his six Tour victories – the team captain at next year’s Tour. “I’m trying to deal with one thing at the moment,” said Hincapie. “I’ve just won the biggest race of my life. Let me think about that first. I’ve been working hard for Lance, and for Johan to start saying stuff like that is pretty amazing. If he wants to give me a shot, I’ll do what I can.”"

if they do that they won´t win ****,one thing is to work for a leader one thing is to be the leader and hincapie is no leader ,talk about overrating the guy wins a mountain stage for the first time ever and now they want him as leader i hope they are joking.

musette said:

Why not? With his experience he should be given a shot. Of course that could all change if he is out performed by Popo. If he was out performed I dont think you would see the turmoil like in T-mobile. Obviously next years prologue/opening ITT would tell alot as would the pre TdF events. Johan has enough experience to see who has what.

Carmichael chronicles how long in the making Hincapie's potential to win today's stage has been in the making:

"At the beginning of his cycling career, George Hincapie was a sprinter.... Now, several years later, he’s become a great all-around rider and the winner of a mountain stage in the 2005 Tour de France.... As a more mature and complete rider, George has been an integral part of Lance Armstrong’s reign at the Tour de France. Not only was George a member of the team for all six of Lance’s victories, his role on the team has expanded. Between 1999 and 2001, George’s primary job was to safeguard Lance through the flat stages and set pace in front of him for the first climbs. He couldn’t make it to the final climbs of the day with the lead group. Since 2002, however, his climbing has steadily improved and he’s become more of a fixture at the front of the peloton from the beginning to the end of the Tour de France. Today was George’s turn to reap the full benefits of his transformation from a sprinter to perhaps the best all-around American cyclist. He went up the road in the early breakaway, not with the initial intent of winning the stage, but rather with the idea that if Lance became isolated later in the day, he could drop back and help his teammate and best friend. As an added benefit, he wasn’t obligated to work with the breakaway because his team leader was in the yellow jersey. So, when it was clear the stage winner would come from the breakaway group and that Lance Armstrong was in good shape in the yellow jersey, George was told to go ahead and fight for the stage win."

It's wonderful that Hincapie in part knowingly sacrificed some sprinting speed in order to become a better climber to help his team in the TdF. And rather fitting that today, he had to utilize not only his much improved climbing skills, but also was able to drawn on his remaining sprinting speed to easily beat Perreiro in the end. :p

nonameboy said:
if they do that they won´t win ****,one thing is to work for a leader one thing is to be the leader and hincapie is no leader ,talk about overrating the guy wins a mountain stage for the first time ever and now they want him as leader i hope they are joking.
The climbers of Discovery have proven none of them are ready to lead the TDF. Ok, they can drive the tempo , but win??? Climbing is their thing and where have they been ???? Hincapie has also been a tempo man and a stage winner.

Savoldelli did win the Giro and that may have drained him, and Popo is young. Where have the others been??

Hincapie's not good enough of a climber to podium in the TdF, his win on Plat d'Adet notwithstanding. :D

But the following quote from Perreiro doesn't show Perreiro as being especially smart:

"Oscar Pereiro (2nd on stage, 17th on GC @ 19-30). “The Tour is a sporting competition, but sometimes in sport the strongest man doesn’t win. Hincapie was following wheels all day. I tried to drop him on the final climb because I knew that I would lose in a sprint. We spoke to each other in Spanish, and he said that we should work together until the finish line. Then it seemed as though I was doing all the work.”"

Like, duh?

musette said:
Hincapie's not good enough of a climber to podium in the TdF, his win on Plat d'Adet notwithstanding. :D

But the following quote from Perreiro doesn't show Perreiro as being especially smart:

"Oscar Pereiro (2nd on stage, 17th on GC @ 19-30). “The Tour is a sporting competition, but sometimes in sport the strongest man doesn’t win. Hincapie was following wheels all day. I tried to drop him on the final climb because I knew that I would lose in a sprint. We spoke to each other in Spanish, and he said that we should work together until the finish line. Then it seemed as though I was doing all the work.”"

Like, duh?
The Homer Simpson jersey of the day has been awarded to Pereiro for that comment.

But, on an equally silly front, we have the prize for the day's quote illustrating the greatest self-denial, from Mr Rassmussen:

"Michael Rasmussen (10th on stage, 3rd on GC @ 3-09)
“Nothing I saw today intimidated me. I’m very confident that I can still get second place. There are still 1,000km to ride before we get to Paris. Of course I can do it. I’m happy with the way I rode today. There were only two people who climbed better than me today: Armstrong and Basso. Am I worried about the time trial next Saturday? I’ll try not to think about it until the morning of the race.”"

A big huh? :confused:
Maybe he's not thinking about the ITT, and that's why he thinks he can somehow gain time on Basso and get second, and not be pushed off the podium by JU. ;)

Well, at least he's no longer claiming he may be able to win the GC. :D

Ahh.. you Americans just don’t understand sarcasm and irony..... he was being sarcastic you fools ! Now who is looking stupid…..

Nice tactic by Hincapie just lie to your opponents.... and there is no chance he would ever be a Tour winner as he sat on the back of the lead group all day.... should take some notes out of his leaders book in learning to ride on the front and take responsibility of your position..... it wouldn't surprise me if the Spanish mafia have a contract on Hincapie's head.... but alas a win is a win... well done son.

musette said:

Like, duh?

whiteboytrash said:
Ahh.. you Americans just don’t understand sarcasm and irony..... he was being sarcastic you fools ! Now who is looking stupid…..

Nice tactic by Hincapie just lie to your opponents.... and there is no chance he would ever be a Tour winner as he sat on the back of the lead group all day.... should take some notes out of his leaders book in learning to ride on the front and take responsibility of your position..... it wouldn't surprise me if the Spanish mafia have a contract on Hincapie's head.... but alas a win is a win... well done son.

LOL. Your tour is over. Your boys got spanked. I will send you a crying towel if you like.

Wait, here's another candidate for the person most in denial. From the Phonak site (which is currently only posting this summary in German, but I have roughly translated it):

"The "king" George Hincapie is only from a formal perspective [err, yes, if you mean Hincapie won and that's a fact that the whole world agrees with]. As the king of aggression and the public favourite, however , Oscar Pereiro will enter history [huh?]. "That was fantastic. These attempts mean we are on track. That was the fulfilment of a dream, on which only the dotting of the "i"s was missing [ah, you mean the win?]. That is a highlight of the greatest quality. That was the initial reaction of John Lelangue, owner of team Andy Rihs and the different Directeurs Sportifs."

So Hincapie is the winner from a formal perspective? :D As opposed to a winner from an abstract perspective?

whiteboytrash said:

Today was a payback day . Pereiro has done this several times to other riders.

This is a classic tactic, and entirely appropriate. Should Basso or Savoldelli win the Dolomite Stars stage at the Giro, given all the work Basso did? :p

wolfix said:
Today was a payback day . Pereiro has done this several times to other riders.
It was back in the Alps where Pereiro did not share the workload.

whiteboytrash said:

I understand sarcasm,I am very good at it,and I do not like the way Hincappie won, although he is a great talent.
It is a win, but if he stays at the game very long he will suffer for his tactics in another race.
Memories run long and there is an accepted practice and tradition that goes back for years in cycling. He will probably not receive any help from someone ,somewhere at sometime in the future.
I am not condeming him but he will not be thought of well for todays win in some circles.
That of course is just my ignorant opinion and I am an American,cyclist and cycling fan.
Lance is still incredible and I am in awe of his ability.

I really don´t care if Hincapie didn´t help the others, he thought they would be catched by the elite group and then he would help Lance but the lead grown up more than he expected so he had a chance to win, and won.

Sevilla was planning to do the same thing, but since he was dropped earlier in the climb and Ullrich was cooked after Basso and Lance attacked he helped his captain in the end.

Also Hincapie has been doing and amazing jod for the Blue Train for the last years, so he deserved some glory.