Stage 15 TDF :Lézat-sur-Lèze - Saint-Lary Soulan (Pla d'Adet) : Spoiler

tinks said:
Yes, and all the children will be naming their pet chickens Hencapie to honor him ;)
Rasmussen is the "chicken" of this Tour (his nickname, I believe).

996vtwin said:
F*ck Discovery Channel and F*ck GH, he is a louse and that is all there is to say. You yankees will defend him because his is a fellow yankee doodle. I am unbiased and am telling you that GH is a louse and Periero won the Moral Victory. Vive Periero! For he is the winner!

I saw the e-runs last night, and there's no doubt that for the entire break, Pereiro did most of the work, which was a lot. But as for the last climb, after George and Oscar spoke there really wasnt much chance for G to come around, until the final km, when G obviously shouldnt have come around.

As for the moral victory, its race tactics. Grow up. And if Oscar is such a moral guy, why is he going around whining and trying to steal the victory back from George by insinuating that he was stronger and should have won. Where I grew up, thats being a sore loser and a poor sport, the sort of thing every parent tells their 9 year not to do whether its soccer, baseball or mountain stages in the TdF.

The commentators at Velonews are discussing the implications of Hincapie's tactics on Sunday. They see no problem with it, but then they received a scathing e-mail from a fan lambasting them for "situational ethics". Then there was this just a few minutes ago:

Joining us this morning is Thomas Prehn, author of Racing Tactics for Cyclists.

Certainly our comments on the Hincapie/Pereiro dispute have generated a ton of mail. What's your take on it, Thomas?

Thomas Prehn: There is really no fault that Hincapie did not pull. I would say that even when it was obvious that Hincapie was no longer going just marking the leaders for the yellow jersey. He does not have any obligation to work. It could be said the same if Hincapie were in a group with two from the same team. It is just very clear where the obligation is. Pereiro can be upset about it but he would be obligated to do the same thing if his teammate was in the yellow jersey.

That's true, Thomas, but I can only imagine Pereiro's frustration. He certainly did the bulk of the work that day and deserved the win on that level. Thomas Prehn: No doubt that he can be frustrated. Tactics in bike racing can change in a pedal stroke and can be very frustrating. "Deserve the win" is an interesting comment too. There are many deserving riders, but just one winner.

hombredesubaru said:
I saw the e-runs last night, and there's no doubt that for the entire break, Pereiro did most of the work, which was a lot. But as for the last climb, after George and Oscar spoke there really wasnt much chance for G to come around, until the final km, when G obviously shouldnt have come around.

As for the moral victory, its race tactics. Grow up. And if Oscar is such a moral guy, why is he going around whining and trying to steal the victory back from George by insinuating that he was stronger and should have won. Where I grew up, thats being a sore loser and a poor sport, the sort of thing every parent tells their 9 year not to do whether its soccer, baseball or mountain stages in the TdF.
I remember my mom telling me not to cry and whine after a soccer game or a baseball game. But she never said anything about being a good sport after a mountain stage. Of course we did not live in the mountains. Matter of fact, my parents never even said anything about how I should act after a TDF sprint either.

Haha Isnt Thomas Prehn that guy that rode for USPS Team, haha talk about biased. We really dont care what he has to say ,,,I just realised that Periero won today ....Ha Ha victory and revenge is bitter sweet.

996vtwin said:
Haha Isnt Thomas Prehn that guy that rode for USPS Team, haha talk about biased. We really dont care what he has to say ,,,I just realised that Periero won today ....Ha Ha victory and revenge is bitter sweet.
did you happen to notice how he won?

roadhog said:
Let me guess he used the American strategy:D , George better hope that they dont name that move after him, like the George Louse win or something to that effect.

996vtwin said:
Let me guess he used the American strategy:D , George better hope that they dont name that move after him, like the George Louse win or something to that effect.
I don't know what you call the strategy. This is not a sport of nations but of sponsors really. Not sure why some guys here get so reved up about nationalism over these things. The allegiance in the peloton is to sponsors and money, not nationality. Sure, it may come into play occaisonally, but it is not the driving force. Nothing wrong with it, but that is the true basis of the modern sport, not nationality. In fact, it really makes it more enjoyable I think.

Anyway, I was genuinely interested in the thoughts on OP's win today from someone who took the anti-GH stance on Sunday's stage (which you obviously did unless you're trolling). Certainly the irony of the way the tactics unfolded at the end of today's stage were not lost on you. Not trying to argue with you about it, just interested.

OP rode well both days, and he's had a great Tour. I'm glad he won today, but like I posted in another thread, the only thing that takes away from his victory today (and significantly so) is his disappointing sportsmanship following Sunday's stage. Wonder what his thoughts on the whole thing are now...

JRMDC said:
Well, we've beat this one to death, but that is what one does on forums like this, so... here is what Leipheimer had to say about GH in his daily diary on cyclingnews:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/riders/2005/diaries/levi/tour05.php?id=levi0524
To be honest I havent seen the stage yet only yesterdays but if OP 'loused' today I really dont blame him nor will anyone else. Consider todays reward is from yesterdays effort. All is fair and I am sure all will agree that he needed to ride more aggressively to win. Bit unfortubate that there isnt always camradery amonst cyclist where as the one site put it 'the strongest dosent always win'. But Cie La Vie, thats life and I am just happy OP won today.

996vtwin said:
To be honest I havent seen the stage yet only yesterdays but if OP 'loused' today I really dont blame him nor will anyone else. Consider todays reward is from yesterdays effort. All is fair and I am sure all will agree that he needed to ride more aggressively to win. Bit unfortubate that there isnt always camradery amonst cyclist where as the one site put it 'the strongest dosent always win'. But Cie La Vie, thats life and I am just happy OP won today.

OP didn't louse. Its only the ramblings of sour posters trying to get even because someone insulted the tactics of a Disco rider.
Read this http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2005/tour05/?id=results/tour0516

I draw your attention specifically to:

"With 30km to go in the tiny village of Nay, the four front riders were all together, but Zandio hadn't been working to protect his Illes Balears team leader Mancebo's place on GC. Pereiro felt no such compunction, as he and Evans hammered all out. The Phonak man didn't see fit to protect his teammate Landis's 7th place on GC, so the Davitamon-Lotto rider moved up into that position as Pau approached.

With 20km to race, the last climb of the day was the small Cat. 4 Côte de Pardiès-Piétat in the lovely green hills overlooking the beautiful capital of the Bearn area. Up the 2.6km, 5.2 % bump, Evans rode all out to move up on GC. Although it is the Aussie's first Tour de France on the road, he was a standout rider in the Tour de France VTT ten years ago, as well as a former maglia rosa in the Giro d'Italia. Pereiro was going pull for pull with Evans on the run-in to Pau, with the chasers at 2'00 and the hard charging groupe maillot jaune less than 4'00 back. Finally, Pereiro stopped working under orders from team director John Lelangue with around 5 km to go, leaving Evans to do everything. "

But I'm sure after you view the footage you will be able to make your own mind up. Believe it or not there are some posting opinions who haven't even seen it! :eek:

roadhog said:

Pereiro did a huge amount of chasing to get on to the group and to put himself in place to win.

I thought it was an honourable win, I have to say.

I agree ! It was true class the way OP won..... like I have said before... Hincapie still won his stage but his time will come and there is no way the Spanish riders will let him forget it...... await Paris-Roubaix or Tour of Flanders next year.... this is of course he decides to become stage rider and win the Tour next year...... but then again the Spanish fans WILL knock him offf his bike if he tries anything.....

limerickman said:
Pereiro did a huge amount of chasing to get on to the group and to put himself in place to win.

whiteboytrash said:
I agree ! It was true class the way OP won..... like I have said before... Hincapie still won his stage but his time will come and there is no way the Spanish riders will let him forget it...... await Paris-Roubaix or Tour of Flanders next year.... this is of course he decides to become stage rider and win the Tour next year...... but then again the Spanish fans WILL knock him offf his bike if he tries anything.....

I agree. Screw Americans and Screw Discovery chanel. Lets bomb their place!

No we don't do that sort of thing.... that’s what you guys do.... otherwise Salvador Allende would of won the Tour...... ;o)

Nein11 said:
I agree. Screw Americans and Screw Discovery chanel. Lets bomb their place!

limerickman said:

I agree. Very good win. His sniveling on Sunday was not so, but his riding has been excellent throughout.

The term 'louse' is a French word from the 1800's in reference to a virus which attacked wine vines (grapes) called Phylloxera during this period. The virus was so bad that it nearly wiped out all of France’s vineyards at this time. Funny enough it was imported from North America. American grapevines are immune to the virus and the only way that the French could stop the virus from spreading further and ruining there vineyards was planting and incorporating a North American vine which was immune to the virus into the French vine. This pushed the price of French wines up although many purist believed the wines are not as good with American vines merged with French soil and vines. The virus continues today and with the prominence of North American wines its not considered to be as much of a 'sin' to mix the two vines together during growth.

The term 'louse' is given to bike riders as its sits on the vine whilst not contributing to any of its growth and slowly killing the vine and/or spoiling the flavor of the grape. Hence the French calling Hincapie a 'louse' or anyone who sits on without doing a turn.

mitosis said:
OP didn't louse. Its only the ramblings of sour posters trying to get even because someone insulted the tactics of a Disco rider.
Read this http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2005/tour05/?id=results/tour0516

I draw your attention specifically to:

"With 30km to go in the tiny village of Nay, the four front riders were all together, but Zandio hadn't been working to protect his Illes Balears team leader Mancebo's place on GC. Pereiro felt no such compunction, as he and Evans hammered all out. The Phonak man didn't see fit to protect his teammate Landis's 7th place on GC, so the Davitamon-Lotto rider moved up into that position as Pau approached.

With 20km to race, the last climb of the day was the small Cat. 4 Côte de Pardiès-Piétat in the lovely green hills overlooking the beautiful capital of the Bearn area. Up the 2.6km, 5.2 % bump, Evans rode all out to move up on GC. Although it is the Aussie's first Tour de France on the road, he was a standout rider in the Tour de France VTT ten years ago, as well as a former maglia rosa in the Giro d'Italia. Pereiro was going pull for pull with Evans on the run-in to Pau, with the chasers at 2'00 and the hard charging groupe maillot jaune less than 4'00 back. Finally, Pereiro stopped working under orders from team director John Lelangue with around 5 km to go, leaving Evans to do everything. "

But I'm sure after you view the footage you will be able to make your own mind up. Believe it or not there are some posting opinions who haven't even seen it! :eek: