Stage 16: Le Bourg-d'Oisans - La Toussuire, 182 km

Discussion in 'Professional Cycling' started by stilesiii, Jul 18, 2006.

1. lwedge

lwedge New Member

Well you know Eldrack, we are talking to a guy who does Mt. Diablo for training rides. :D

I think I finally get Scott's humor.:D ( I was a little s l o w on that one.)

lw

2. bobke

bobke New Member

It is the easier side, having done the hard side up from Telegraphe. The way they are going is a long long drag up the valley from Bourg d'Oisans. Its like forever at 4-5% and then the real sharp stuff hits for only like 10 km if I recall. The other side is really hard.

The climb starts immediately fron Bourg d'Oisans which will not help at all and then the Croix de Fer is a mother of a climb, very uneven and steep, horrendous, didnt realize it was HC when I did it. And after that it will be a race of attrition.

3. Bikeridindude

Bikeridindude New Member

Dave Zabriske's going to show off all the practice he's been doing on the hills this winter! 8-minute gap to Landis. Who's chicken legs, Rasmussen?

4. Capt.Injury

Capt.Injury New Member

Yes, Chicken Legs refers to Rasumussen.

I like the pick because I think Rabobank saw how T-MObile (Mazzoleni), CSC (Voigt), and Phonak (Axel), by putting someone in the break helped their GC man, so I think Rasmussen will be a good choice since he is 23 minutes down, plus the fact that just in case Menchov struggles again, they would like the Polka Dot Jersey to fall back on.

I think with Landis conservative attitude, I think once again we will see a massive break of 15-20 riders. PLus, I think all the contending teams will try to stick someone in the break, because they saw how much help this was. Its a tactic we haven't seen to much since Armstrong's team was always strong enough to stay with him, but this obviously is a new era.

So to name who I think we can find in a break for the contenders would be Rasmussen (RAB), Pediguerero (SP?) (PHO), Honchar (TMO), Vandevelde (CSC), Horner (DVL). I believe that De La Fuente will be in the break to try and win the Polka Dot competition.

SO if a break succeeds, I am going to take a dark horse in Botcharov (Sp?). If the contenders make it, I will go with Leipheimer. He seems to be riding with as a Top 5 finisher, and when the gradient on the Alp was not quite as steep he easily kept up with the leaders, and he was in the final three on the finish in Spain. This final climb seems to be a pretty steady gradient, and he did well on the climb in the Dauphine.

5. Ricardo29

Ricardo29 New Member

Evans.

now or never, he will die trying you watch.
    if he cracks thats fine, he can accept he may not up to it this year (he will win a tour in next few years), but he will fair dinkum die trying.

6. Bro Deal

Bro Deal New Member

Evans has already conceded this year's Tour. I think he will blow sky high today.

7. whiteboytrash

whiteboytrash New Member

I think Evans will go for a break 2morrow and conserve today.... btw/ Landis is already on his own with 120km to go today.... two of his team-mates are on the side of the road in a pool of blood.... yuk..... :eek:

8. jhuskey

jhuskey Moderator

Kloden will keep attacking, at least that is what I am told. Successful or not it make damn good entertainment.

9. whiteboytrash

whiteboytrash New Member

agreed.

10. Virenque

Virenque New Member

Chavanel have crashed. He`s back on the bike and he seems to be OK.

11. Bro Deal

Bro Deal New Member

Ouch! Chavanel was on the ground for a long time.

It looked potentially really bad, like he had slid into the barrier and done some serious damage.

12. Virenque

Virenque New Member

It would be terrible if he would abandon. He`s a great, very combative rider. I`d like to see him winning a stage one day. He`s trying for a few years now.

13. Bro Deal

Bro Deal New Member

Another Operation Puerto and Chavanel winning a stage is a done deal.

I keep thinking what could have been if Gadret was in the Tour.

14. Tonto

Tonto New Member

Cruel.....but probably true.....

15. Bro Deal

Bro Deal New Member

I did not mean it that way. Chavanel has a good chance of winning a stage in the next few years. I just think if the cycling were cleaner he would have better results.

16. Tonto

Tonto New Member

I got what you meant :) My reply was a bit tongue in cheek. I like him too. He keeps trying every year. Doesn't hide.

The Croix de Fer is looking savage in this heat but Landis just keeps cruising along with the poker face intact.

17. Bro Deal

Bro Deal New Member

The Chicken is flying solo. It is still a long way to the end but he is looking good.

18. Bro Deal

Bro Deal New Member

Kloeden is in trouble. This is a surpise. I was expecting him to take it to Floyd on the final climb.

Edit: Or maybe that was a Phil LIgget boner.
    Yup, a Ligget boner. It was Sinkewitz.
    I have to stop working and watch more than listen.

19. Tonto

Tonto New Member

I think I can see him up there with the Landis group. I can see two T-Mobiles at the front of that group.

20. jhuskey

jhuskey Moderator

I think I can see PAIN coming!