Stage 16: Le Bourg-d'Oisans - La Toussuire, 182 km

azdroptop said:
The amazing thing for me was that Floyd really wasn't attack that much before he cracked! He must have just had a terrible day today.
I think he bonked or dehydrated. He seemed to have no energy at all.

Evans looks like he's been on the edge of dropping, but just manages to hang on every day. Especially given he's getting very little support from his team. If he can squeeze 90 seconds or so out of the guys above him tomorrow, he could get the rest in the ITT.
Is it possible the GC won't be decided until Sunday?

Dead Star said:
he makes a valid point though. where the hell are they?
I'm not sure anyone with cycling knowledge expected more than two American riders in the top 20 at this point. 9th and 11th is a bit lower than most would have expected though.

Oh, and as for Hincapie, Christian Van de Velde leads him on GC by several minutes! :D Maybe Bob Roll should have picked THAT American to wear Yellow in Paris.

Bro Deal said:
Before or after he got the package for "Birillo"? ;)

Ullrich must be completely depressed if he is watching this. T-Mobile has been rock solid.
I actually thought they failed when they let Sastre gain so much ground. Sastre may have enough time to defend from Kloden in the TT now.

Menchov even had to come ahead of the pink guys to make things work and then everyone started to accelerate and he cracked, what is a pity, but he still has top 5 chances.

Well, when I started this thread I was begging for a Battle royal. Boy, did I get one.

Did Menchov crack or just didn't meet the challenge? I'm following on the internet and couldn't see his form.

Tommorrow's stage not as brutal. I expect all the GC contenders to conserve and roll dice in ITT.

I hope not, but that's what I expect. Nobody wants to be tommorrow's Landis.

This is only the second Tour I really follow, I was hooked after watching last year's Tour and I am now a Tour junkie.

Leipheimer, Menchov can't have much left in the tank after the valiant efforts both have put on. Dessel just doesn't look like he has the go.

Who can attack tommorrow? I don't see anybody capable after today's assault.

stilesiii said:
Tommorrow's stage not as brutal. I expect all the GC contenders to conserve and roll dice in ITT.
No, they can't do that, Pereiro can TT. Only 0:30 slower than Sastre, 0:58 slower than Kloden, 0:52 slower than Evans in the first TT. They have to attack Pereiro tomorrow, he is too far ahead to wait until Saturday.

last place...

147 José Rujano (Ven) Quick-Step-Innergetic 46.45

wonder if Quicks-Step spents some bad money there? even Hincapie beat him
smile.gif

JRMDC said:
No, they can't do that, Pereiro can TT. Only 0:30 slower than Sastre, 0:58 slower than Kloden, 0:52 slower than Evans in the first TT. They have to attack Pereiro tomorrow, he is too far ahead to wait until Saturday.
Also tomorrow is the stage that Pereiro would lose time, because Alp D'HUez he lost almost 3 minutes, with some steep inclines, while today he stayed with the leaders, because La Toussuire,eventhough a long climb, for most part is a pretty steady 5-8% climb. the Joux Plane, if I recall right does have some 12-13 % inclines, where the other contenders will need to attack to force him out of his comfort zone.

Don't forget how many weapons T-mobile has. It was amazing to see how much pink was at the front of jersey group going into the last climb.

The question is, does Kloden have anything left after trying to attack the last two days.

Greg and Lance have made the Americans look good, but don't forget there are only 7 Americans riding in the tour. We're quite respectable, but it's a long way to catch up to the depth of the French, Spanish and Italians.

Capt.Injury said:
Also tomorrow is the stage that Pereiro would lose time, because Alp D'HUez he lost almost 3 minutes, with some steep inclines, while today he stayed with the leaders, because La Toussuire,eventhough a long climb, for most part is a pretty steady 5-8% climb. the Joux Plane, if I recall right does have some 12-13 % inclines, where the other contenders will need to attack to force him out of his comfort zone.
http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/tdf2006/news/story?id=2523854

Bobby Julich:

"I hate to say this, but I believe Floyd Landis lost the overall lead for good Wednesday at the Tour de France.

He had a look on his face like he lost a lot of sugar. Landis must have expended too much energy during the stage and just couldn't push his body anymore. We call it a "bonk." I've been in that situation before and I know exactly how Landis felt out there. It's like there's a hold over your body where you just can't go over a certain speed and there is nothing you can do about it. Even if you eat and drink at that breaking point, it won't help. Then, when you see rider after rider pass you, you hit a mental wall, as well. It's so difficult to regain focus in a situation like that, no matter how hard you try."

wvrun said:
http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/tdf2006/news/story?id=2523854

Bobby Julich:

"I hate to say this, but I believe Floyd Landis lost the overall lead for good Wednesday at the Tour de France.

He had a look on his face like he lost a lot of sugar. Landis must have expended too much energy during the stage and just couldn't push his body anymore. We call it a "bonk." I've been in that situation before and I know exactly how Landis felt out there. It's like there's a hold over your body where you just can't go over a certain speed and there is nothing you can do about it. Even if you eat and drink at that breaking point, it won't help. Then, when you see rider after rider pass you, you hit a mental wall, as well. It's so difficult to regain focus in a situation like that, no matter how hard you try."

I took no pleasure at all in seeing that happen to Landis, as I was hoping he'd do well, but I haven't seen a leader suffer that much in years. It reminds us that this race is able to crush anyone and that it's as much man against the race itself as against his competitors.

I think Landis bonked for lacked of nutrients. There was a close-up after he had completely cracked-- there were large amounts of sweat dripping off his head and arms.

He wasn't dehydrated.

My guess is they miscalculated how much extra nervous energy he was burning yesterday after becoming the race leader. All the extra mental pressure and tour requirements meeting with reporters, etc.

He needed to pop a GU or two.

Ullefan said:
Kloden looking good for the TT! How good is Perrero?

Kloden is better at TT and I believe he will use his team to attack again tomorrow. He can't risk it all on the TT.
I believe he has gas left as long as Kessler,Rogers and company have some left.
We got us a race.

It's so sad!!

Now Landis will always be remembered for the biggest "bust" the apparent tour winner has ever had.

From now on, TV announcers will always remember how Landis proved a lead is never safe -- just to keep viewership up.

Unfortunately, with the hip replacement looming, Landis may not be able to redeem himself in the future. Hopefully he can win the TT in a few days, otherwise the yellow jersey may always leave a bitter taste for him.

A couple of thing that you must consider when analyzing this stage,as several of us agreed on last week Phonak had a weaker team and you can't win the race alone.
Not even Lance could do that,however Lance had the ability to devastate the field with his team ,with the exception of just a few ,and then out class the remaider of riders in the steeps.
I haven't seen anyone this year with that kind of ability.
It does however make for a more exciting race.

my preview, for tomorrow:
Mazzoleni key-factor for T-Mobile and Kloden last attempt to win.
History told last TT has less gaps than the 1st.