Stage 16: Rovato - Trento Monte Bondone, 173 km

Discussion in 'Professional Cycling' started by steve, May 23, 2006.

1. steve

steve Administrator
    Staff Member

The Dolomites begin, riders can look forward to an uphill finish on the legendary Giro climb of Monte Bondone! :)

Tags:

2. Eldrack

Eldrack New Member

The climbs not as steep as previous ones, which means the heavier guys who put out more power like Basso, Gutierrez and Savoldelli will have less of a disadvantage because of their higher weight. If Basso can drop the small guys on the steep climbs then he is going to rip them to pieces again on this climb. It will also be a good indication of wether Savoldelli is over his allergy problems.

My predicition, Basso to take another stage and put about a minute or so into each of his rivals.

3. Powerful Pete

Powerful Pete New Member

I continue to wonder whether Simoni will give it everything, now that he is close to home and on the Bondone, a mountain with such a fearsome reputation (remember Charly Gaul in 1956!). :confused:

I believe that Eldrack is right and that Basso will again win, but I would love to see Simoni do something crazy and get away with it.

4. saluki

saluki New Member

Basso destroys the field again!

5. Powerful Pete

Powerful Pete New Member

Whoa. Dropping everyone like that... :D

Gutierrez at more than five minutes, and Savoldelli and Simoni at some 9 minutes! :eek:

Anyway, looks like Paolo may not be third for long, if Simoni can continue riding like this.

Wonder how long Gutierrez can hold on?

6. saluki

saluki New Member

That's why you'll probably get your double.

7. Endym

Endym New Member

Ullrich was 30th today, finished under 6min down (for example before Danielson, who finished 7'02 down). Impressive, especially considering he dropped from the main pack in the beginning of the climb.

8. Powerful Pete

Powerful Pete New Member

I sincerely hope so. Let us see how things go in the full mountain stages, if a Simoni can make things explode (maybe destroy the CSC train?).

You are from Denver - I got to spend quite a bit of time in the Littleton area (long story). Very nice place to ride!

9. tcklyde

tcklyde New Member

So much for the much hyped but yet to deliver Tom Danielson.

Fabulous ride by Ullrich. I think he is progressing well -- exceptionally well. To make this sort of improvement from Romandie to now is just an amazing testament to his superlative natural talent. He was even on the front of the group for a bit today.

10. saluki

saluki New Member

Yeap, I'm from Littleton. I ride Deer Creek from my house.

11. bobke

bobke New Member

I hope Tommy D's place was the DC style of using one domestique per day.

Maybe he lost a lot of time so he can go for a stage win?

12. Eldrack

Eldrack New Member

Oh dear, Basso is destroying everyone, again. He is perhaps a bit too dominant, but the battle for the other podium places will be interesting. It seems pretty obvious that Savoldelli will loose his podium place to Simoni, question is, can Simoni overhall Gutierrez whose turning out to be a bit of a dark horse.

Ullrichs performance bodes well for July, hopefully that race will be slightly closer than this one is going to be.

13. saluki

saluki New Member

I don't know. But we can't give him any credit until he shows us something. And he hasn't done that yet.

14. musette

musette New Member

TD wouldn't have deliberately done that, because DC is unsure that Savoldelli can podium and TD could have been a "backup", given the number of difficult stages remaining.

15. discobean7

discobean7 New Member

I think Rubiero was pacing Paolo today, maybe saving Danielson to help defend the podium place during the more difficult climb tomorrow.

16. Raketmensch

Raketmensch New Member

I wouldn't be surprised if we saw TD a lot closer to the front and working hard for Il Falco tomorrow, with Rubiera maybe a little farther back. TD clearly isn't a podium contender at this point regardless of what happens to Savoldelli, so the best he can do for Disco is try to protect Falco's shaky-looking podium position from Simoni on tomorrow's crazy stage. If that doesn't happen, though, then yeah, I think you can say that TD hasn't lived up to expectations at the Giro.

Gotta be impressed by Basso today, not to mention the support he got from Sastre. Very classy.

17. saluki

saluki New Member

It looks like Ullrich decided to test himself today. 6 down isn't too bad. But in the TDF he will only be able to allow himself to loose a minute or less per climb if he want's to have a chance.

18. saluki

saluki New Member

I got that Cunego was down 4.40 today. Where was DiLuca

19. whiteboytrash

whiteboytrash New Member

Huh ? You obviously didn't see the footage... with 17km to go and soon as the road went up TD went backwards... believe me he was working hard... the lead peleton was still 20+ riders when he was dropped and Savo was in the group... He was no help to Savo or anyone else.. even himself.... Without being cruel the guy isn't podium potential... he was built up way to much by Armstrong and co... they should of let him develop on the quite and in his own time instead of pitching him as "great white"... what was the point ? To be honest its not TD’s fault Savo is faulting.. there are 6 other guys and two very notable climbers who haven’t done the job for Savo…

More importantly CSC are a monster team... Jens Voight did an almighty turn on the front for around 3km with 17km to go... he was smiling as he was doing it ! Sastre again worked like a trojan and Basso finished the job... this is not the Tour so CSC look better than they are but they have a very very very strong team....

Gibo rode well and tried to work with Basso but Ivan was just to strong...

Gibo will take a podium spot as he is the second best climb in the field... Savo and Cuengo don't have the strength to go with him.....

20. Eldrack

Eldrack New Member

Tomorrow could be very interesting. On all the mountains finishes (+ La Thuille) the GC people will have had pretty much fresh legs starting the climb, then its just a one off blast to the finish which Basso seems to have perfected. I wonder if anything different will happene tomorrow, when everyone has the Passo Delle Erbe in their legs, as well as the final climb being very steep? I think Gutierrez could loose big time to Simoni tomorrow, with Savoldelli dropping into 4th spot. Basso might loose some time, but it looks unlikely, especially with his team strong enough to limit any damage attacks on the Erbe would do.