Stage 17 picks

whiteboytrash said:
Need to check his balls..... if they are shrinking from the cortisone usage then we'll know....... any volunteers ?
No. But Di Luca did come 5th in the Vuelta stage up the Angliru in 2002 so doing well in a stage like Stage 17 would not be an entirely new thing for him.

patch70 said:
No. But Di Luca did come 5th in the Vuelta stage up the Angliru in 2002 so doing well in a stage like Stage 17 would not be an entirely new thing for him.
Cunego's time to shine, he has been holding back to give it all on this stage.

The Double Zero said:
Simoni won't let him get ahead of him on GC. I think if the favourites get to the final climb together (with no breakway up the road) then DiLuca will win.

Well, Piepoli let his buddy win again today.:) The guy could have taken 3 stages if he was selfish. I really like the little guy, one heck of a climber. Di Luca rode really smart today as well.

Trev_S said:
I'm tossing up between Simoni and Piepoli to win the stage.
Piepoli should get used used up in an effort to burn out Di Luca, Mazzoleni & Schleck so in theory Piepoli should be toasted and leave Simoni to take up the attack.

I'll pick Simoni. It's his last real chance for this years Giro so he will be all out.
Don't know if he can gain enough time to take the GC lead though.

Di Luca to get dropped and Mazzoleni to take the GC lead.
aawwww ****........
umm.... I really meant Mazzoleni to get dropped & Di Luca to hold the GC lead
damn typo :rolleyes: :p
:D

azdroptop said:
Well, Piepoli let his buddy win again today.:) The guy could have taken 3 stages if he was selfish. I really like the little guy, one heck of a climber. Di Luca rode really smart today as well.
i won't gloat that i was right... :cool:

DuLuca was really smart... think he realized from the other stages that if he gets into trouble... stay out of the red zone, don't panic... wait for the last 2kms and use that Amstel Gold, Fleche Wallone, Liege winning power to bring who ever it is back to a reasonable gap... Simoni might be a better climber over the long haul but DiLuca can kick some serious ass over 2 k's

Piepoli is one hell of a climber but i think his motivation for for letting Simoni win was selfish.. like, if i don't let my captain get the bonus seconds = no contract = no money = my kids don't eat.. not to mention when he goes on the open market you don't want to have on your resume... the guy who screws over his captain at the most important time in a GT. Piepoli is never going to be a GT winner... he can't TT well enough, so his asking price depends on his ability to take stage wins and being a great, loyal domestique... don't want to futz that up.. but i know what you are saying...

Well, no surprises on the Zoncolan, it just confirmed who we already know are strong guys with the Gibo and Leo having the upper hand as pure climbers, but not by much.

This Giro seems to fly in the face of some of our long-held (mis)conceptions in cycling. Age is not a barrier with two of the "old men" ending up on top. Nor is youth for that matter, for Andy to go with them blow for blow and hold them to just 7 seconds in the last week of a GT is remarkable, almost too remarkable. As for tall being a handicap, Andy also doesn't looks short to me.

Lets just hope that in the coming weeks/months we don't get dissapointed again...

The Double Zero said:
Whoops that was a typo, I meant Simoni's time to shine and Diluca to consolidate his insurmountable lead, and Cunego to loose more time.