Stage 18 TDF : Albi - Mende: Spoiler

whiteboytrash

Mar 9, 2005
Have you seen stage 18 ? There is a long cat 2 40km from the finish then a short sharp 3 then another short sharp cat 2 to the finish line at 189km... its going to be a great stage and expect more attacks again from everyone below LA trying to sort out the top 10........ there is going to be more shake-ups then a martini bar !

(http://www.letour.fr/2005/TDF/LIVE/us/1800/dprofil.html)

Km 53 - Côte de la Béssède - 8.3 km climb to 2.9 % - 4 Category
Km 99 - Côte de Raujolles - 2.7 km climb to 5.2 % - 3 Category
Km 131.5 - Côte de Boyne - 9.2 km climb to 5.3 % - 2 Category
Km 180 - Côte de Chabrits - 1.7 km climb to 7.1 % - 3 Category
Km 187.5 - Côte de la Croix Neuve (montée Laurent Jalabert) - 3.1 km climb to 10.1 % - 2 Category

whiteboytrash said:
Have you seen stage 18 ? There is a long cat 2 40km from the finish then a short sharp 3 then another short sharp cat 2 to the finish line at 189km... its going to be a great stage and expect more attacks again from everyone below LA trying to sort out the top 10........ there is going to be more shake-ups then a martini bar !

Km 187.5 - Côte de la Croix Neuve (montée Laurent Jalabert) - 3.1 km climb to 10.1 % - 2 Category

The last real chance for a wild card to make up some time, stage 19 looks pretty tame so I believe Vino will definitely try and move up in the GC tommorrow. If Ullrich goes it will have to be a balance between making up time on Rasmussen and not appearing to be a threat to Armstrong in which case he will be chased down,of course.
He is a good time trialer but has a good chunk of time to make up to be in third place. This tour has been full of surprises. The DC team may just burn up the road and the peloton with a fast pace.
It should make for some good fire works either way.
Has almost three weeks gone by already? Damn!

Maybe DC will give Lance a win because this is Lance last stage with real climbs... Incuding one in the last kms...

Or maybe Floyd Landis or maybe Botero.

whiteboytrash said:

WBT : I opened another spoiler !
But let's run with your one here.

Mende 1995 TDF : if this years TDF stage can match that 1995 stage for excitment, it will be a great stage.
Laurent Jalabert went on a flyer that day and BigMig panicked trying to pull
him back.
BigMig pulled in a lot of favours that day but never caught Jaja on Bastille Day

I am going for Flecha/Vino/Garcia Acosta/Chavanel : it's a roadmans stage !

limerickman said:

Mende 1995 TDF : if this years TDF stage can match that 1995 stage for excitment, it will be a great stage.
him back.
BigMig pulled in a lot of favours that day but never caught Jaja on Bastille Day

A stark and erie realization has just shrouded across my very spirit. What the heck will we talk about next week?
I will be in tour withdrawal. Guess I picked a bad week to give up doping.

It’s a cute stage.... I reckon they roll the first 100km with a breakway 10+ minutes ahead and then T-Mobile will open it up to attack Radobank...... might even see Landis or Evans trying to get clear to gain time before the TT to maintain GC positions... it really the last chance before the TT for anyone to gain time….

limerickman said:

him back.

jhuskey said:
A stark and erie realization has just shrouded across my very spirit. What the heck will we talk about next week?
I will be in tour withdrawal. Guess I picked a bad week to give up doping.
SHHHHH...... Do not use the word DOPING. You will awaken Flyer from his sleep. He has a alarm attached to his computer everytime the word "dope' is punched out on someone's keyboard.
I too realized next week I will have to get a life... Unless jhuskey you want to join me down at the farm.

limerickman said:

him back.

Hey Lim.. I tried to get on your thread but I couldn't because it was restricted. We know that neither Jalabert/Indurain will win it, but neither will Armstrong because he will be waiting for the TT with what's left of his energy. Basso will not let Ullrich win it . Ullrich will not let Vino win it and Rasmussen ..... Well , he won't win it. You're right, a roadies dream. Again I think someone way down on GC will go on a flyer with 10 of his buddies. Oh yeah, Discovery will not let Landis win today , tomorrow, or anything else this year.
I like the Flecha pick.....and let's go with Oscar Sevilla.

Ok boys & girls..... It's time for Wolfies Daily Attack on Hinault .... But this time , it's not Bernard but another bad apple that fell off the Hinault tree somewhere...... Sebastian Hinault. I suggest we nik- name him the "Weasel." It would be a fitting name for his "wheelsucking display' in yesterdays stage. And the "weasel" comes from the same RODENT family as the "Badger." Rodents one in all the Hinaults are !!

I think LA wants to win a road stage before retiring.......this is thus his only chance! Sooo I think Disco will try to control the stage and let a break go away, but not too far..........and Ullrich will try to attack again and see IF he can take time out of Rasmussen. I don't think btw that he can take time out of rasmussen, because the last climb is very steep which favors rasmussen more then LA. Rasmussen can deal with tempo changes, ullrich can't! Will be a nice stage..........

wolfix said:
Hey Lim.. I tried to get on your thread but I couldn't because it was restricted. We know that neither Jalabert/Indurain will win it, but neither will Armstrong because he will be waiting for the TT with what's left of his energy. Basso will not let Ullrich win it . Ullrich will not let Vino win it and Rasmussen ..... Well , he won't win it. You're right, a roadies dream. Again I think someone way down on GC will go on a flyer with 10 of his buddies. Oh yeah, Discovery will not let Landis win today , tomorrow, or anything else this year.
I like the Flecha pick.....and let's go with Oscar Sevilla.

Ok boys & girls..... It's time for Wolfies Daily Attack on Hinault .... But this time , it's not Bernard but another bad apple that fell off the Hinault tree somewhere...... Sebastian Hinault. I suggest we nik- name him the "Weasel." It would be a fitting name for his "wheelsucking display' in yesterdays stage. And the "weasel" comes from the same RODENT family as the "Badger." Rodents one in all the Hinaults are !!

so we can take it that you don't like Bernard Hinault ??

I don't think vino will go early today, he will defend his position until late in the race. Attacks will come probably from more rested riders who are 20- 100 minutes back in the gc. Although Pereiro has really impressed me, and he might have a go again. Jasche, Piepoli,Sastre, Kashechin (if he recovers from getting punched by bystander) are my bets for a try from the upper classification). Georg Totschnig, Astarloza, Contador, Garzelli, Caucchioli, Botero have been probably saving themselves for this stage.
limerickman said:
limerickman said:

him back.

ilpirata said:
I don't think vino will go early today, he will defend his position until late in the race. Attacks will come probably from more rested riders who are 20- 100 minutes back in the gc. Although Pereiro has really impressed me, and he might have a go again. Jasche, Piepoli,Sastre, Kashechin (if he recovers from getting punched by bystander) are my bets for a try from the upper classification). Georg Totschnig, Astarloza, Contador, Garzelli, Caucchioli, Botero have been probably saving themselves for this stage.

I believe T-Mobile will go today ,not early but at some point. I believe Steinhauser may even begin the attack and if not he will be in the mix eventually, along with Vino.
Jan needs to make up some time and 3 mins. is a lot to make up in the TT.
I think he has to go or finish off the podium again. If Vino wins another stage no matter as long as Jan can gain some time, but the win may very well go to an early breakaway from a non GC contender.
I hope to see another 3 way at the finish between Lance,Basso and Jan but given the terrain I think it unlikely.

wolfix said:
SHHHHH...... Do not use the word DOPING. You will awaken Flyer from his sleep. He has a alarm attached to his computer everytime the word "dope' is punched out on someone's keyboard.
I too realized next week I will have to get a life... Unless jhuskey you want to join me down at the farm.

You got a farm too? What a coincidence. We will have to exchange fertilizer recipes.

limerickman said:
so we can take it that you don't like Bernard Hinault ??
Hmm; I got that impression too. ;)

As for me, I think Hinault may have been caught in no-man's land yesterday. Paolo was ready to grab him by the helmet and physically drag him up to take a pull, but I really don't think Hinault was physically capable of passing Paolo at a speed necessary to keep the chasing two at bay. He was, however, able to stay on his wheel until the final straightaway.

Perhaps he was thinking the dynamics of the chase might change if he held on until the other two joined them, and give himself a chance for a stage win. Either way, I can't really blame him. As I said, I don't think his refusal to come through was a strategic one -- more a physical limitation. (The OLN coverage noted his heartrate, etc. -- even with over 5K to go, Hinault was near his maximum.)

rejobako said:
Hmm; I got that impression too. ;)

As for me, I think Hinault may have been caught in no-man's land yesterday. Paolo was ready to grab him by the helmet and physically drag him up to take a pull, but I really don't think Hinault was physically capable of passing Paolo at a speed necessary to keep the chasing two at bay. He was, however, able to stay on his wheel until the final straightaway.

Perhaps he was thinking the dynamics of the chase might change if he held on until the other two joined them, and give himself a chance for a stage win. Either way, I can't really blame him. As I said, I don't think his refusal to come through was a strategic one -- more a physical limitation. (The OLN coverage noted his heartrate, etc. -- even with over 5K to go, Hinault was near his maximum.)

This morning, Virenque interviewed Hinault on Eurosport and he said that he had no energy to help Savoldelli in the final few kilometres.

But you're right Savoldelli was rather annoyed at Hinault : he may have thought Hinault was bluffing.
Hinault did try to stay with Savoldelli but once Savoldelli started to go, Hinault just died.

It was a good sprint between Savoldelli and Avernsen too.

Just listening to Eurosport : Sean kelly has reviewed the papers and he quoted an interview given by Kloden in which he (Kloden) says that has no wish to ever cycle on the same team as Vino again.

Ouch !

limerickman said:
Just listening to Eurosport : Sean kelly has reviewed the papers and he quoted an interview given by Kloden in which he (Kloden) says that has no wish to ever cycle on the same team as Vino again.

Ouch !
I thought Jan was quite diplomatic, and I quote:

The other big news of the day is, of course, Vino's decision to switch to another team next season. We knew that a team change was on his mind. And in the end his decision came as a disappointment, because in Vino, it is not just a great bike rider, but also a great personal friend who will be leaving the team. He wants a chance to contest a Tour as a team captain, so I can fully understand his motives for leaving. And even when it is bad news for our team, I wish him all the best in the future.

peterlip said:
I thought Jan was quite diplomatic, and I quote:

The other big news of the day is, of course, Vino's decision to switch to another team next season. We knew that a team change was on his mind. And in the end his decision came as a disappointment, because in Vino, it is not just a great bike rider, but also a great personal friend who will be leaving the team. He wants a chance to contest a Tour as a team captain, so I can fully understand his motives for leaving. And even when it is bad news for our team, I wish him all the best in the future.

It was Kloden that was quoted as saying that he would never wish to cycle on the same team as Vino again.
There wasn't any mention of JU's thoughts or JU saying anything about Vino's
departure.

Of course, Vino is still a great rider.
I think Eurosport referred to the interview to articulate the point that perhaps there were more divisions in TM, than had been previously acknowledged.

limerickman said:
It was Kloden that was quoted as saying that he would never wish to cycle on the same team as Vino again.
There wasn't any mention of JU's thoughts or JU saying anything about Vino's
departure.

Of course, Vino is still a great rider.
I think Eurosport referred to the interview to articulate the point that perhaps there were more divisions in TM, than had been previously acknowledged.
Yes Lim, I got that. It's just that I have heard of how on the outer Vino has been within T-Mobile, so I thought JU's comments was a pleasant change.