STAGE 19: Modane Valfréjus -> Alpe-d’Huez - 109.5 km

Originally Posted by limerickman .

Sean Kelly just commenting on Eurosport has said this is the best TDF that he has seen (and he's raced and commentated on this race since 1978).

It's been superb.

Agreed. And very entertaining.

Gotta admit to enjoying the commentary of Liggett and Sherwen - extremely unoffensive and non-biased, irrespective of the somewhat infrequent production company-generated propaganda cards they're required to read from...Liggett's frequent 'senior moments' are even excusable...

Reactions: Chavez
AC's performance today is making the TdF for me. Serious drama in the ITT tomorrow...
Heart of a true champion - when you think he's down he comes roaring back...

Originally Posted by tonyzackery .

AC's performance today is making the TdF for me. Serious drama in the ITT tomorrow...
Heart of a true champion - when you think he's down he comes roaring back...

don't forget the rib-steak/img/vbsmilies/smilies/wink.gif

Originally Posted by limerickman .

don't forget the rib-steak/img/vbsmilies/smilies/wink.gif
Yeah, that's still hangin' over his head, but the guy's ability to fight against the odds is incredibly admirable - to me anyway...

Originally Posted by sopas .

Time of the winner in alpe dhuez today was: 41:20

Rank Time Name Year 1 37' 35" Marco Pantani 1997 2* 37' 36" Lance Armstrong 2004 3 38' 00" Marco Pantani 1994 4 38' 01" Lance Armstrong 2001 5 38' 04" Marco Pantani 1995 6 38' 23" Jan Ullrich 1997 7 38' 34" Floyd Landis 2006 8 38' 35" Andreas Klöden 2006 9* 38' 37" Jan Ullrich 2004 10 39' 02" Richard Virenque 1997 11 39' 06" Iban Mayo 2003 12* 39' 17" Andreas Klöden 2004 13* 39' 21" Jose Azevedo 2004 14 39' 28" Miguel Induráin 1995 15 39' 28" Alex Zülle 1995 16 39' 30" Bjarne Riis 1995 17 39' 31" Carlos Sastre 2008 18 39' 44" Gianni Bugno 1991 19 39' 45" Miguel Induráin 1991 20 40' 00" Jan Ullrich 2001 21 40' 46" Fränk Schleck 2006 22 40' 51" Alexander Vinokourov 2003 23 41' 18" Lance Armstrong 2003 24 41' 50" Laurent Fignon 1989 25 41' 50" Luis Herrera 1987 26 42' 15" Pedro Delgado 1989 27 45' 20" Gert-Jan Theunisse 1989 28 45' 22" Fausto Coppi 1952 29 48' 00" Greg Lemond 1986 30 48' 00" Bernard Hinault 1986

Wow another great stage, this has been a great tour. Can A schleck hold on or will Evans ride over the top???? As much as I want Evans to win I think Andy in yellow will hold on by about 20 to 25 sedonds

Without causing an argument are we seeing a drug free tour at the top level?? No real standouts and half a dozen riders capable of being dominent on a good day!!

Yes the ascent times to alpe Dhuez have dropped a lot in the last years. One wonders why?

Pantani's time is just unreachable. It required Armstrong a time trial in 2004 to approach it by one second!!!

That Spaniard from Saxo was really good today.
He was on tempo all the way to the top of Galibier and tried again on Alpe d' Huez.

Maybe in Leopard should think about bringing him to the team.
He could be great super - domestique for Schlecks and could ride Giro for himself.

This has been one of the most entertaining tours since I have been watching. Strike that - it is the most entertaining. Voekler has been awesome, and I wasn't a huge fan of his before this race, but hats off. The Schleck brothers have rose to the occassion and Evans has been great. Contador never gave up; his move today put me on the edge of my seat. And Hushovd is my new hero. Great tour! Unfortunately a lot of strong GC riders were forced to abandon or got injured in the first half of the tour, ending their ambitions for the overall. I would have liked to have seen how Wiggins, Vino, Horner, etc, would have faired. Sure riders crash out before the race for the overall even starts, but it seemed like the crashes this year claimed more contenders than normal.

Saturday's ITT should be thrilling. I'll be glued to the TV. A Schleck will need to have one of his best performances against the clock to hold off Evans.

Originally Posted by sopas .

Yes the ascent times to alpe Dhuez have dropped a lot in the last years. One wonders why?

Pantani's time is just unreachable. It required Armstrong a time trial in 2004 to approach it by one second!!!

Could be a few reasons. 1) the riders just aren't as good. 2) the riders are clean/cleaner. 3) the days where riders would attack at the base of the climb are few and far between, and instead kick up the pace a few k from the finish. 4) this years tour in particular has seemed to be more taxing and difficult on the riders, leaving them spent by the time they arrived to today's stage.

Might be a combination of several reasons, but I hope it is because the peleton is saying nope to dope.

Huge congrats to Pierre Rolland for his win! That he brought back AC and went over top was impressive...

Originally Posted by tonyzackery .

I'm not buyin' CE's alleged mechanical...looked to be an excuse move for the camera...he was really hurtin' to try and close the gap to AC and AS...
Thanks Tony.

Not having the racing experience like you, I didn't consider this tactic.

As it turned out, lucky Evans didn't consider this tactic either.

Originally Posted by Scott2468 .

Thanks Tony.

Not having the racing experience like you, I didn't consider this tactic.

As it turned out, lucky Evans didn't consider this tactic either.

Aussie pride and all, so I can sympathize with your hurt feelings - as much as I can/img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif.

Anyway, read the interview and let CE tell you himself he blew up when he tried to close the gap. Tire rubbing on frame? You be the judge of the veracity of that claim...

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/evans-has-simple-strategy-for-decisive-time-trial-ride-fast