STAGE 19: Modane Valfréjus -> Alpe-d’Huez - 109.5 km

Originally Posted by tonyzackery .

Aussie pride and all, so I can sympathize with your hurt feelings - as much as I can/img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif.

My first thought was it looked like he blew him self up trying to follow. who knows tho, maybe a bit of each? The end result ended up being the best he could have hoped for.

Originally Posted by tonyzackery .

let CE tell you himself he blew up when he tried to close the gap. You be the judge of the veracity of that claim...
um.............. He did close the gap.

Originally Posted by Scott2468 .

um.............. He did close the gap.

After taking a well-timed sideline break for a bike change...If I had bike support during my races, I'd probably use the tactic too/img/vbsmilies/smilies/wink.gif...

What a fantastic two days of racing. I was hoping that someone would take a flier on the izoard yesterday but doubted that the top guys would - and the thought of Andy doing that was almost no existent given that descent and his hatred of the downhills... Today's stage was fun. Interesting that they used the old tunnel at the top of the Galibier that a few decades ago was the summit instead of the normal summit which is a few hundred feet higher. Spirited ride by Contador and a fantasic right hook at that ******** spectator dressed as a doctor. Sure the times for the Alpe wasn't as quick as recent years but it's come at the end of a very fast incident filled tour. The average speed on the first alpine stage into Italy was just stupid fast - almost 26mph average for a ~120 mile stage that was mostly up hill with the monster climb to sestriere and an average of 20mph for the stage with the 3 alpine giants yesterday. It was also pretty windy with doesn't help up there. A fantastic tour for sure but not quite the action, the long breaks or the drama of 1986. Plus, you didn't have riders *****in' about descents being to dangerous if there's a stone or two on the road or a few leaves blowing across the asphalt back then :p

"After taking a well-timed sideline break for a bike change...If I had bike support during my races, I'd probably use the tactic too
wink.gif
..."

Yes, because chasing Contador and the Schlecks over 2 mountains from several minutes behind must have been so easy as to make a tiny break from a bike change all worthwhile!

Originally Posted by ausgirl .

"After taking a well-timed sideline break for a bike change...If I had bike support during my races, I'd probably use the tactic too
wink.gif
..."

Yes, because chasing Contador and the Schlecks over 2 mountains from several minutes behind must have been so easy as to make a tiny break from a bike change all worthwhile!
Please don't be sarcastic.

Tony is correct because he is an athlete & racer.