Stage 19: Pordenone - Passo Di San Pellegrino (Dolomiti Stars), 224 km

steve

Administrator
Aug 12, 2001
The hardest stage of the Giro, with 7-8 hours of racing and 4000m of climbing.

Basso will win!

Ok,I will go out on a limb here and say that if Jan has a good feel about his legs today he may show a little power.
I am not saying he will take a stage win, but maybe stay with the leaders a bit more rather than ride in the pack.

There won't be many riders left by the time they get to the base of the Passo Di San Pellegrino. Top 10 guys should be there, barring a few who have cracked along the way (Savoldelli will probably only be there because he can descend back up to the leaders after he has been dropped on the penultimate climb). Basso will likely crush them all again. Question is, can Simoni put time into Gutierrez?

Ok, I will go out on a limb. Final victory is either Basso or Piepoli. Simoni will attack and put time into Guttierrez, and get the second spot.

Gotta risk it sometime... :rolleyes:

Simoni's got 4 mins to claw back on Gutierrez.

Simoni will have to be going really well.

limerickman said:
Simoni's got 4 mins to claw back on Gutierrez.

Simoni will have to be going really well.
Fair enough. I am basing my prediction on the fact that it is a long stage with a lot of climbing... or so goes my faulty logic...

Powerful Pete said:
Fair enough. I am basing my prediction on the fact that it is a long stage with a lot of climbing... or so goes my faulty logic...

PP, I think that Simoni can peg back time but 4mins??
It would be a great achievement if he did.

limerickman said:
PP, I think that Simoni can peg back time but 4mins??
It would be a great achievement if he did.

Any updates on the actual racing? This is the only sight i can access from the office so iam counting on some updates... :(

bomber said:
Any updates on the actual racing? This is the only sight i can access from the office so iam counting on some updates... :(
Stage 19 - Friday, May 26: Pordenone - Passo Di San Pellegrino, 224 km
Live Commentary by Kristy Scrymgeour with additional reporting from Anthony Tan

Live report
Live coverage starts: 14:30 CEST
Estimated finish: 17:10 CEST

17:26 CEST
Gianpaolo Caruso of Liberty Seguros, currently sitting in 13th place on gc, 18'49" behind Maglia Rosa Ivan Basso explained before the start of Stage 19 that "This is not a great moment for our team; our sponsor Liberty Seguros has abandoned us, but we will hang tough and finish the Giro."

17:27 CEST
Valjavec has attacked the break. He has a good gap and he looks back to check it out. He's out of the saddle getting on top of the gear. Not much reaction from the rest of the break.

17:28 CEST
Voigt attacks now and catches the rest of the break by surprise. He has almost made it up to Valjavec.

17:30 CEST
Now Parra goes and Vila goes with him. They are together now chasing Voigt and Valjavec.

17:31 CEST 114km/110km to go
Back in the field Belli is the first of the GC riders to get dropped. He was 6th on GC after yesterday's stage. Ten kilometers to go for the break.

17:32 CEST
Valjavec and Voigt already have about 40 seconds to the rest of the break with Vila and Parra sitting in between. Di Luca has been dropped from the break.

17:33 CEST
Piepoli and Cueva have a gap on the peloton with CSC setting the pace in chase and they have caught them again now.

Current race situation

Jens Voigt (Team CSC), Tadej Valjavec (Lampre-Fondital)
Evgeni Petrov (Lampre-Fondital), Ivan Ramiro Parra Pinto (Cofidis)
Emanuele Sella, Fortunato Baliani, Luis Felipe Laverde Jimenez (Ceramica Panaria-Navigare), Francisco J. Vila Errandonea (Lampre-Fondital), Danilo Di Luca (Liquigas), Juan Manuel Garate (Quick Step-Innergetic), Johan Tschopp (Phonak), Patrice Halgand (Credit Agricole) at 0'20
Peloton at 4'20

start | prev |

more for bomber:

17:40 CEST
Voigt closes the gap to Valjevec and Garate attacks now. He is solo and gets out of the saddle to get his rhythm.

17:42 CEST
Voigt chases and has dropped Valjavec. He has closed the gap to Garate. He's having an amazing ride. They go around yet another hairpin. Garate sets the pace again. He gets out of the saddle on this steep part. Voigt is still on his wheel.

17:43 CEST
back in the peloton Piepoli still leads. Only Basso, Simoni, Gutierrez, Pena, Perez Cuapio, Caruso and Cunego remain up there. Behind Danielson is trying to get Savoldelli back up to the group.

17:44 CEST 119km/105km to go
5km to go now and the latest time gap is 3'50". This is going to be an amazing chase to the finish. Voigt hits the front. He is working hard and you can see the suffering but it has to be said that he is one of the toughest riders out there.

17:46 CEST
Now Garate rolls through. He looks up to see where the next hairpin leads. It's steep here and you can see their legs crying out in pain. Simoni takes over at the front of the GC group and Pena gets dropped. Piepoli is still there and comes back to the front. For a moment he looked like he was getting dropped, but he is amazing.

17:47 CEST
Simoni comes though again. Basso is on his wheel. Gutierrez is suffering. Cunego has to go around him. They are going under the 5km banner. Only Basso remains on the wheel of Simoni now. Cunego tried to close the gap.

5km to go now and the latest time gap is 3'50". This is going to be an amazing chase to the finish. Voigt hits the front. He is working hard and you can see the suffering but it has to be said that he is one of the toughest riders out there.

Now Garate rolls through. He looks up to see where the next hairpin leads. It's steep here and you can see their legs crying out in pain. Simoni takes over at the front of the GC group and Pena gets dropped. Piepoli is still there and comes back to the front. For a moment he looked like he was getting dropped, but he is amazing.

17:47 CEST
Simoni comes though again. Basso is on his wheel. Gutierrez is suffering. Cunego has to go around him. They are going under the 5km banner. Only Basso remains on the wheel of Simoni now. Cunego tried to close the gap.

17:48 CEST 220km/4km to go
4km to the finish for the leaders. They are on the steepest part of the climb. That last kilometer seemed very long!!!

Current race situation

Juan Manuel Garate (Quick Step-Innergetic), Jens Voigt (Team CSC)
Francisco J. Vila Errandonea (Lampre-Fondital) at 0'18
Tadej Valjavec
Ivan Ramiro Parra Pinto (Cofidis
Emanuele Sella (Panaria), Danilo Di Luca (Liquigas), Johan Tschopp (Phonak), Patrice Halgand (Credit Agricole)
Evgeni Petrov (Lampre-Fondital), Fortunato Baliani, Luis Felipe Laverde Jimenez (Ceramica Panaria-Navigare)
Basso, Simoni, Cunego
Gutierrez, Perez Cuapio, Caruso at 3'50
Piepoli, Pena
Savoldelli, Danielson

17:48 CEST 220km/4km to go
4km to the finish for the leaders. They are on the steepest part of the climb. That last kilometer seemed very long!!!

17:49 CEST
Simoni is still pushing the pace with Basso on his wheel. Cunego can't quite get to them but he's out of the saddle giving it everything. Gutierrez is really siffering behind.

One spectator nearly knocked Cunego off his bike. It's just crazy up on these mountains.

17:49 CEST
Gutierrez is really fighting. He is not losing that much. He still has them in sight but he just can't do anything more.

17:51 CEST
Simoni and Basso are catching Baliani now and they ride straight past. Up front Garate and Voigt are still hammering away. Garate leads the way.

Ullrich has dropped out. Apparently he has back problems.

17:53 CEST
The gap is 2'45". It's really steep now. Voigt still on Garate's wheel.

Behind Basso leads Simoni. Cunego still hasn't been able to get up to them but like Gutierrez, he can still see them.

17:54 CEST
Simoni comes past Basso again. He is out of the saddle as they ride through a really thick crowd. It's amazing that they can even ride through this.

Up front Garate pushes the pace.

17:54 CEST
Simoni and Basso reach the 3km to go sign. It doesn't look like they will catch them now.

17:55 CEST 122.5km/101.5km to go
Garate still leads and Voigt is still with him. Only 1500m to go.

17:56 CEST
Voigt talks to his director in the radio.

Basso comes though and leads Simoni.

17:57 CEST 223km/1km to go
Garate and Voigt go under the 1km to go banner. They have made it. It's just a race between the two of them now.

17:58 CEST
Voigt is pushing a big gear here, he rides alongside Garate. Garate gets out of the saddle, 600m to go.

18:00 CEST
The crowd is amazing up here. Cunego still chases Basso and Simoni solo.

Garate still leads up front. 400m to go after 224 km of racing. Garate goes ahead. Voigt doesn't contest the sprint. Garate takes the win and rides across the road and points back at Voigt thanking him.

18:01 CEST
Vila rides solo to take third place.

8:03 CEST
Vila finishes 1'26" down on the lead pair. Simoni and Basso go past some more of the original break members as they reach the 300, to go mark.

Selle and Parra cross the line together just before Simoni and Basso comes through. Gutierrez catches Cunego on the line. He only lost 25" to Simoni. 18:06 CEST
The rest of the break and peloton come through in dribs and drabs.

Thanks for tuning in to stage 19. We'll be back tomorrow for the penultimate stage and yet another day in the mountains.

Results

Provisional
1 Juan Manuel Garate (Spa) Quick Step-Innergetic 7.13.36
2 Jens Voigt (Ger) Team CSC 0.04
3 Francisco J. Vila Errandonea (Spa) Lampre-Fondital 1.21
4 Tadej Valjavec (Slo) Lampre-Fondital 1.55
5 Emanuele Sella (Ita) Ceramica Panaria-Navigare 2.06
6 Ivan Ramiro Parra Pinto (Col) Cofidis, le Credit par Telephone
7 Gilberto Simoni (Ita) Saunier Duval-Prodir 2.15
8 Ivan Basso (Ita) Team CSC
9 Johann Tschopp (Swi) Phonak Hearing Systems
10 Danilo Di Luca (Ita) Liquigas