Stage 19 will decide the 2003 TDF

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Henry Chang, Jul 23, 2003.

  1. Henry Chang

    Henry Chang Guest

    I wanted to get the straight dope on stage 19. First, I emailed the webmaster at olntv.com. It turns
    out the webmaster could not vouch for any of the information on the "route" page but told me that
    the web page maintainer is none other than Bob Roll. I sent a couple emails to Bob Roll but have
    received no response.

    Next, I visited the official Tour De France site and tracked down the emails of the some of the Tour
    directors. Note, in France, the term "email" has been banned and in its place they refer to such
    communication now as "courriel"

    But anyway, the most interesting thing I learned was - It turns out that stage 19 is indeed a TEAM
    time trial.

    This second TTT will be handled a bit differently than the first, out of necessity. All the riders
    who have dropped out or been disqualified are allowed to rejoin their team - for this stage only.

    So, it turns out that the description on the olntv.com page is correct. I hope my work investigating
    this settles the matter. Stage 19 is a TTT, NOT a ITT.

    Henry

    Tags:

  2. Mack Mad

    Mack Mad Guest

    Dumbass.

    "Henry Chang" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I wanted to get the straight dope on stage 19. First, I emailed the webmaster at olntv.com. It
    > turns out the webmaster could not vouch for any of the information on the "route" page but told me
    > that the web page maintainer is none other than Bob Roll. I sent a couple emails to Bob Roll but
    > have received no response.
    >
    > Next, I visited the official Tour De France site and tracked down the emails of the some of the
    > Tour directors. Note, in France, the term "email" has been banned and in its place they refer to
    > such communication now as "courriel"
    >
    > But anyway, the most interesting thing I learned was - It turns out that stage 19 is indeed a TEAM
    > time trial.
    >
    > This second TTT will be handled a bit differently than the first, out of necessity. All the riders
    > who have dropped out or been disqualified are allowed to rejoin their team - for this stage only.
    >
    > So, it turns out that the description on the olntv.com page is correct. I hope my work
    > investigating this settles the matter. Stage 19 is a TTT, NOT a ITT.
    >

    > Henry

  3. Ken Papai

    Ken Papai Guest

    "Henry Chang" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I wanted to get the straight dope on stage 19. First, I emailed the webmaster at olntv.com. It
    > turns out the webmaster could not vouch for any of the information on the "route" page but told me
    > that the web page maintainer is none other than Bob Roll. I sent a couple emails to Bob Roll but
    > have received no response.
    >
    > Next, I visited the official Tour De France site and tracked down the emails of the some of the
    > Tour directors. Note, in France, the term "email" has been banned and in its place they refer to
    > such communication now as "courriel"
    >
    > But anyway, the most interesting thing I learned was - It turns out that stage 19 is indeed a TEAM
    > time trial.
    >
    > This second TTT will be handled a bit differently than the first, out of necessity. All the riders
    > who have dropped out or been disqualified are allowed to rejoin their team - for this stage only.
    >
    > So, it turns out that the description on the olntv.com page is correct. I hope my work
    > investigating this settles the matter. Stage 19 is a TTT, NOT a ITT.

    Nice post. Then definitely US Postal will win Stage 19 TTT since they are one of the few teams left
    with all nice and obviously are the strongest team.

    Awesome.

    Nice post.

    I can only imagine the Freds raising their fists right now.

    <SPELLCHECKED> <FOR ACCURACY

  4. Raptor

    Raptor Guest

    Henry Chang wrote:
    > I wanted to get the straight dope on stage 19. First, I emailed the webmaster at olntv.com. It
    > turns out the webmaster could not vouch for any of the information on the "route" page but told me
    > that the web page maintainer is none other than Bob Roll. I sent a couple emails to Bob Roll but
    > have received no response.
    >
    > Next, I visited the official Tour De France site and tracked down the emails of the some of the
    > Tour directors. Note, in France, the term "email" has been banned and in its place they refer to
    > such communication now as "courriel"
    >
    > But anyway, the most interesting thing I learned was - It turns out that stage 19 is indeed a TEAM
    > time trial.
    >
    > This second TTT will be handled a bit differently than the first, out of necessity. All the riders
    > who have dropped out or been disqualified are allowed to rejoin their team - for this stage only.
    >
    > So, it turns out that the description on the olntv.com page is correct. I hope my work
    > investigating this settles the matter. Stage 19 is a TTT, NOT a ITT.
    >

    > Henry

    Well, there goes ONCE's Tour, not that they've had a very good one. Beloki's wheelchair will be
    completely ineffective at the front. Rabobank should fare a little better, since Levi has already
    started riding again. I predict relatively short pulls for each.

  5. Java Man

    Java Man Guest

    > I wanted to get the straight dope on stage 19. First, I emailed the webmaster at olntv.com. It
    > turns out the webmaster could not vouch for any of the information on the "route" page but told me
    > that the web page maintainer is none other than Bob Roll. I sent a couple emails to Bob Roll but
    > have received no response.
    >
    > Next, I visited the official Tour De France site and tracked down the emails of the some of the
    > Tour directors. Note, in France, the term "email" has been banned and in its place they refer to
    > such communication now as "courriel"
    >
    > But anyway, the most interesting thing I learned was - It turns out that stage 19 is indeed a TEAM
    > time trial.
    >
    > This second TTT will be handled a bit differently than the first, out of necessity. All the riders
    > who have dropped out or been disqualified are allowed to rejoin their team - for this stage only.
    >
    > So, it turns out that the description on the olntv.com page is correct. I hope my work
    > investigating this settles the matter. Stage 19 is a TTT, NOT a ITT.

    Imagine that: even the commentators on OLN are fooled. They think it's a ITT, too.

    Henry, you almost sound serious.

    Rick

  6. David Ryan

    David Ryan Guest

    Stage 20 will decide the Tour de France. There could always be a crash, a heart attack, a split in
    the pel-O-ton just as a train comes along and stops across the roadway letting off a bunch of
    anti-globalism protesters who scatter tacks in the road and strip naked. It ain't over 'til the
    Fattie Master sings...

  7. I had heard that the major difference in this second TTT was that the time was taken on the 10th
    rider across the line.

    Bob C. "Henry Chang" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I wanted to get the straight dope on stage 19. First, I emailed the webmaster at olntv.com. It
    > turns out the webmaster could not vouch for any of the information on the "route" page but told me
    > that the web page maintainer is none other than Bob Roll. I sent a couple emails to Bob Roll but
    > have received no response.
    >
    > Next, I visited the official Tour De France site and tracked down the emails of the some of the
    > Tour directors. Note, in France, the term "email" has been banned and in its place they refer to
    > such communication now as "courriel"
    >
    > But anyway, the most interesting thing I learned was - It turns out that stage 19 is indeed a TEAM
    > time trial.
    >
    > This second TTT will be handled a bit differently than the first, out of necessity. All the riders
    > who have dropped out or been disqualified are allowed to rejoin their team - for this stage only.
    >
    > So, it turns out that the description on the olntv.com page is correct. I hope my work
    > investigating this settles the matter. Stage 19 is a TTT, NOT a ITT.
    >

    > Henry

  8. Gary

    Gary Guest

    It is NOT a team time trial: http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2003/tour03/?id=stages/stage19

  9. On 7/24/03 5:56 AM, in article [email protected], "Gary" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > It is NOT a team time trial: http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2003/tour03/?id=stages/stage19

    And you'd believe the folks at cyclingnews.com OVER the actual ORGANIZERS of the Tour (whom Henry
    contacted directly, per his delicious post below)

    > Robert Chambers wrote:
    >
    >> I had heard that the major difference in this second TTT was that the time was taken on the 10th
    >> rider across the line.
    >>
    >> Bob C. "Henry Chang" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]...
    >>

    >>> I wanted to get the straight dope on stage 19. First, I emailed the webmaster at olntv.com. It
    >>> turns out the webmaster could not vouch for any of the information on the "route" page but told
    >>> me that the web page maintainer is none other than Bob Roll. I sent a couple emails to Bob Roll
    >>> but have received no response.
    >>>
    >>> Next, I visited the official Tour De France site and tracked down the emails of the some of the
    >>> Tour directors. Note, in France, the term "email" has been banned and in its place they refer to
    >>> such communication now as "courriel"
    >>>
    >>> But anyway, the most interesting thing I learned was - It turns out that stage 19 is indeed a
    >>> TEAM time trial.
    >>>
    >>> This second TTT will be handled a bit differently than the first, out of necessity. All the
    >>> riders who have dropped out or been disqualified are allowed to rejoin their team - for this
    >>> stage only.
    >>>
    >>> So, it turns out that the description on the olntv.com page is correct. I hope my work
    >>> investigating this settles the matter. Stage 19 is a TTT, NOT a ITT.
    >>>

    >>> Henry

  10. hbarta

    hbarta Guest

    Robert Chambers <[email protected]> wrote:
    > I had heard that the major difference in this second TTT was that the time was taken on the 10th
    > rider across the line.

    And results, commentary, and anything else written about this stage is REQUIRED TO BE ALL CAPS.

  11. letour.fr US version has been corrected. Stage 19 is now shown as ITT.

  12. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
    >I wanted to get the straight dope on stage 19. First, I emailed the webmaster at olntv.com. It
    >turns out the webmaster could not vouch for any of the information on the "route" page but told me
    >that the web page maintainer is none other than Bob Roll. I sent a couple emails to Bob Roll but
    >have received no response. Next, I visited the official Tour De France site and tracked down the
    >emails of the some of the Tour directors. Note, in France, the term "email" has been banned and in
    >its place they refer to such communication now as "courriel" But anyway, the most interesting thing
    >I learned was - It turns out that stage 19 is indeed a TEAM time trial. This second TTT will be
    >handled a bit differently than the first, out of necessity. All the riders who have dropped out or
    >been disqualified are allowed to rejoin their team - for this stage only. So, it turns out that the
    >description on the olntv.com page is correct. I hope my work investigating this settles the matter.
    >Stage 19 is a TTT, NOT a ITT.

    Yah, sure. Where do I sign for the bridge?
    -----------------
    Alex __O _-\<,_ (_)/ (_)

  13. Timbenz

    Timbenz Guest

    >>So, it turns out that the description on the olntv.com page is correct. I hope my work
    >>investigating this settles the matter. Stage 19 is a TTT, NOT a ITT.

    Actually, and this is even less well known, _all_ of the remaining stages are TTTs. While it might
    not look that way from the way riders' ride the stages, that is because riders don't know either:
    organizers are planning to divulge that stages are All-TTT at the end of the TdF.

  14. Ryan M. Hare

    Ryan M. Hare Guest

    "Ken Papai" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Nice post. Then definitely US Postal will win Stage 19 TTT since they are one of the few teams
    > left with all nice and obviously are the strongest team. ^^^

    Strongest and nicest will always win. The other teams are a bunch of meanies.

    Ryan