Stage 2

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Bob Schwartz, May 7, 2006.

  1. Bob Schwartz

    Bob Schwartz Guest

    The Giro in Belgium

    This year marks the second time the Giro has started
    in Belgium, the other being 1973. Let's take a look
    at the 1973 Giro:

    Start Finish Kms Stage Winner Pink Jersey
    --------------- --------------- --- ------------------------------ ------------
    0 Circuit Verviers 5 Merckx,Eddy & Swerts,Roger BEL Merckx, Eddy
    1 Verviers Cologne (GER) 137 Merckx, Eddy BEL Merckx, Eddy
    2 Cologne (GER) Luxembourg (LUX)227 De Vlaeminck, Roger BEL Merckx, Eddy
    3 Luxembourg (LUX)Strasbourg (FRA)239 Van Roosbroeck, G. BEL Merckx, Eddy
    4 Geneva (CH) Aoste (CH) 163 Merckx, Eddy BEL Merckx, Eddy
    5 St. Vincent Milano 173 Karstens, Gerben NED Merckx, Eddy
    6 Milano Iseo del Lago 144 Motta, Gianni ITA Merckx, Eddy
    7 Iseo del Lago Lido Nazioni 248 Van Linden, Rik BEL Merckx, Eddy
    8 Lido Nazioni Monte Carpegna 156 Merckx, Eddy BEL Merckx, Eddy
    9 Monte Carpegna Alba Adriatica 243 Sercu, Patrick BEL Merckx, Eddy
    10 Alba Adriatica Lanciano 174 Merckx, Eddy BEL Merckx, Eddy
    11 Lanciano Benevento 230 De Vlaeminck, Roger BEL Merckx, Eddy
    12 Benevento Fiugi Terme 236 Rossi, Tulio ITA Merckx, Eddy
    13 Fiugi Terme Bolsena 215 De Vlaeminck, Roger BEL Merckx, Eddy
    14 Bolsena Firenze 202 Moser, Francesco ITA Merckx, Eddy
    15 Firenze Forte dei Marmi 150 Rodriguez, M. ESP Merckx, Eddy
    16 Circuit Forte dei Marmi 37 Gimondi, Felice ITA Merckx, Eddy
    17 Forte dei Marmi Verona 244 Van Linden, Rik BEL Merckx, Eddy
    18 Verona Andalo 173 Merckx, Eddy BEL Merckx, Eddy
    19 Andalo Auronzo Cadore 208 Fuente, Jose Manuel ESP Merckx, Eddy
    20 Auronzo Cadore Trieste 197 Basso, Marino ITA Merckx, Eddy

    Four different Belgians take the first five stages.
    Six different Belgians take turns winning 13 of the
    21 stages. And that pesky Belgian Merckx led from
    start to finish and took the points jersey as well.
    It was a good year for the Belgians.

    In 2006 the highest placed Belgian going into Stage 2
    is Marc Wauters in 18th. No Belgian has won the Giro
    since De Muynck in 1978. No Belgian has worn pink
    since Rik Verbrugghe in 2001. The Giro has been much
    less kind to Belgium in the recent past.

    Tags:

  2. On Sun, 07 May 2006 22:19:38 -0500, Bob Schwartz wrote:
    >This year marks the second time the Giro has started
    >in Belgium, the other being 1973.

    So in 2002(?) it only finished there? (in Ans, that I know).

  3. Bob Schwartz

    Bob Schwartz Guest

    Ewoud Dronkert wrote:
    > On Sun, 07 May 2006 22:19:38 -0500, Bob Schwartz wrote:
    >> This year marks the second time the Giro has started
    >> in Belgium, the other being 1973.

    > So in 2002(?) it only finished there? (in Ans, that I know).

    The 2002 Giro began in Groningen, remember?

    http://www.phys.uu.nl/~dronkert/cycling/babesonbikes/gironingen.jpg

    It passed through Germany, Luxembourg, and France
    as well as stage two which ended on the Cote d'Ans.

    Bob Schwartz

  4. Bob Schwartz wrote:
    > The 2002 Giro began in Groningen, remember?

    Ah yes, that was then; but I was also taking "Giro started" for a
    particular stage not necessarily the first. Which in retrospect isn't
    very logical, sorry.

    --
    E. Dronkert