Stage 20 TDF : Saint-Etienne ITT : Spoiler

limerickman

Jan 5, 2004
The last stage of the 2005 TDF : and the very last chance for riders to get
points and to move position in all categories of the competition.

The stage is 55kms and contains a fair bit of uphill climbs, so it's not going to be easy, especially after three hard weeks of racing.
In 1986 Hinault beat Lemond on the same course in ITT.
In 1997 Jan Ullrich beat Richard Virenque here as well by over three minutes to win the ITT, over the same course.

I am going for Jan Ullrich to win ITT.

limerickman said:
I am going for Jan Ullrich to win ITT.
That would be nice, actually. The perennial bridesmaid to Armstrong's tour successes, Jan would gain a significant measure of respect and redemption if he were to suck it up and beat Armstrong in their final duel. As much as I would like to see Armstrong put a final exclamation point on his legacy, Jan needs this one a little more, and I'll be rooting for him.

Hard to see anyone other than Armstrong or Ullrich doing it.
Outside chance for Botero and perhaps Rogers has been saving himself for this.

I'm going to list Armstrong as winner of the penultimate stage, the ITT. He wants to win the very last real stage of his cycling career, and he has a very good chance of doing it, judging by his prologue ITT and the TTT. He'll also be the last one in line. So he's going to hear the splits all the way through for everyone. He's not going to hold back and rest on his time advantage. He's going to go for the win. This will be his last chance to win a stage in the 2005 TdF.

I hope it's Ullrich but I think it'll be Armstrong. The course is perfect for him.

I should wait just to make sure what happens today but I believe Armstrong will want this stage as his own. 19 looks tame,and I may be fooled,and except for the sprinter frenzys in 21, it is mostly a ceremonial parade.
I believe this will be Armstrongs stage win with Ullrich 2nd.
His farewell statement of dominance.

rejobako said:
That would be nice, actually. The perennial bridesmaid to Armstrong's tour successes, Jan would gain a significant measure of respect and redemption if he were to suck it up and beat Armstrong in their final duel. As much as I would like to see Armstrong put a final exclamation point on his legacy, Jan needs this one a little more, and I'll be rooting for him.

Good to see you'll be supporting Ullrich in this one. It would give him a minor win over Armstrong to in a small way compensate for the **** kicking Armstrong has given him over the years.

I expect Armstrong to be motivated by the need to finish on a high.

Armstrong really wants a stage win for this tour as he hasn't got one yet. This is Ullrichs last battle with Armstrong and Ullrich really needs to get a good result to get into the top three. Two highly motivated riders, should be fun to watch.

I like how you guys make these statements as if you have spoken to Lance himself and he told you that he really wanted to win the stage.... how do you know this ? What quote can you provide as a reference ? Maybe he is happy to do well and keep the yellow jersey but not actually win the stage ? Stick to the facts !

Eldrack said:
Armstrong really wants a stage win for this tour as he hasn't got one yet. This is Ullrichs last battle with Armstrong and Ullrich really needs to get a good result to get into the top three. Two highly motivated riders, should be fun to watch.

whiteboytrash said:
I like how you guys make these statements as if you have spoken to Lance himself and he told you that he really wanted to win the stage.... how do you know this ? What quote can you provide as a reference ? Maybe he is happy to do well and keep the yellow jersey but not actually win the stage ? Stick to the facts !

It came to me in a vision, but seriously my opinion is that Lance and Jan will bust their ass for a good showing.
Each for their own reasons.
Ullrich needs the time and Lance historically does well in TT's and is a showman and according to the media hype Armstrong has mentioned wanting a stage win.
If I had to make a bet I would have to bet on Armstrong no matter where my sentiments lean.

Perhaps I should have phrased my sentance slightly differently: I expect Armstrong really wants a stage win for this tour as he hasn't got one yet, it is his last tour, he has won stages in all his other tour victories. Oh and he has shown in the past that he has been extremely competetive.

But stating my opinion as fact is a lot quicker and I don't have to think as much so i'll stick to doing that.

jhuskey said:
It came to me in a vision, but seriously my opinion is that Lance and Jan will bust their ass for a good showing.
Each for their own reasons.
Ullrich needs the time and Lance historically does well in TT's and is a showman and according to the media hype Armstrong has mentioned wanting a stage win.
If I had to make a bet I would have to bet on Armstrong no matter where my sentiments lean.

My suggestion is based on sentiment - to an extent.
Although I did also noted the 1997 JU ITT at Etienne too.

Well that's seriously wishfull thinking.........1 man will win: armstrong! 2nd Ullrich........seems the story of his life!

Tristan Hoffman was on a dutch program last night and said that Rasmussen will lose 1 min every 20 km's...........soo there you go Rasmussen will be 4th (still very good!)
limerickman said:
My suggestion is based on sentiment - to an extent.

Although I did also noted the 1997 JU ITT at Etienne too.

Wonder what the weather report is. If it's raining, I would definitely put money on someone besides Armstrong. As much as he'd like to win the stage, I think he'd ease up if he knew that a stage win would involve a greater risk of crashing due to the weather.

Armstrong doesn't seem like someone who would unduly put himself at risk for the following article:

"On a rainy, surreal Saturday afternoon, Lance Armstrong, in a perhaps overzealous attempt to put his final stamp of authority on his cycling career, lost control of his bicycle on a slippery roundabout in the outskirts of St. Etienne and crashed through a barricade, impaling himself on an umbrella of an elderly French matron and losing consciousness for a moment. In so doing, Armstrong lost enough precious seconds in the contested time-trial to allow Jan Ullrich, who rode the stage of his life, to overtake both Armstrong and Ivan Basso and put himself in position for his second Tour de France title tomorrow on the Champs d'Elysees.

The cause of Armstrong's crash was unclear, although French police are reportedly searching for a man who ran naked across Armstrong's path, shouting "Words words words words I'm Flyer words words I am the illegitimate lovechild of Dr. Michele Ferrari and his genetically cloned mistress words words words". The man is further described as being entirely hairless, with a maniacal crazed expression, and emanating the strong odor of cheap gin and babypowder.

Bruised, battered, and oozing a curiously luminescent shade of blood, Armstrong eventually remounted his bicycle and finished, but now sits 25 seconds behind Ullrich in the general classification. Ullrich, perhaps inspired by the news that rocker Sheryl Crow's newly released single is entitled "I love Lance, but I want the big German Diesel", burst out of the start and decimated the field, passing Fransisco Mancebo, Levi Leipheimer, and Cadel Evans during the 55 kilometer test and averaging an astonishing 62 kph for the stage, smashing the existing speed record for a TdF time trial by over 6 kph despite a blustery headwind and a storm which dumped hailstones the size of cochonettes over the entire course.

Given the time gaps at the point at which Armstrong lost control, organizers estimate that had Armstrong slowed down prior to entering the roundabout, he would likely have finished in a virtual dead heat with Ullrich for the stage win.

After the stage, the typically reserved Ullrich was exhuberant but brief, saying only the following: "I wish to dedicate this win to my girlfriend Sara. Now please excuse me because I have to call Sheryl."

Ivan Basso, who had been in second place prior to the stage, was disappointed but philosophical. "I rode the best race I could, but without Lance's wheel to look at, I lost focus. Next year, perhaps."

And Armstrong, as might be expected, was grim after the stage. He refused medical attention, and when questioned about his decision to ride hard for the stage win rather than be more cautious toward his ultimate GC goal, Armstrong seethed "It shouldn't have mattered in the first place -- I told George, Paolo and the rest of the boys to wait for me after the first 10K -- we were going to time trial home together, but I got to the 10K mark and no one was there, so I said what the hell and just rode hard." (It bears noting that the microphone into which Armstrong spoke melted during the course of his comments.)

When reminded that the individual time trial rules prohibit drafting and other team tactics, Armstrong, for the only time in the interview, smiled wryly and said "Me and Leblanc made an agreement over dinner last night, so the rules weren't going to be a problem. All I know now is that I need to get back to the trailer and ask the boys what happened." At that point, the interview concluded while Armstrong removed the chain from his bicycle, whipped it through the air a few times, and muttered "When I find those guys . . . . "

UPDATE: Tomorrow's final stage is expected to proceed as the typical ceremonial coronation of the GC leader; however, at press time of this article, Ullrich could not be found for comment, having disappeared shortly after being last seen with Sheryl Crow entering a room at the Crillon Hotel in Paris. Discovery Team director Johan Bruyneel shrugged and winked at the news. "All I can say is, you have to be ready for every contingency. See you tomorrow morning."

I think LA will win it, because (1) he has not had a win all year (not just the TdF, excluding the TTT) and will be super-motivated, (2) he is better as an ITTist than JU when both are at their best, and (3) he has expressed in the past that the yellow jersey should put his stamp of authority on the race by winning the final ITT.

^^ LMAO

If it does play out like that I think I'll have to buy the DVD and do the Snoopy dance of joy.

The big race will be between Ullrich and Rasmussen tomorrow. Ullrich will try to bridge the 2:12 gap separating himself and Rasmussen in order to place on the podium in Paris. I'd be very surprised if Jan fails to bridge this gap. It will be Armstrong, Basso and Ullrich in Paris.

whiteboytrash said:
Chris Carmichael (Lance's coach) writes a column throughout the Tour for www.thepaceline.com and has repeatedly mentioned the final ITT. Prior to the start of the Tour he stated that Lance wanted to win the final time trial of his career and finish with a bang.

Carmichael has since made remarks about Lance's focus on the upcoming ITT and his on-going recovery and preparation for that specific stage. I would expect Chris to know Lance's goals and would fully expect to see Lance Armstrong give the performance of his life on Saturday.

In fact I will say this much....I think Armstrong will put a big chunk of time into the field on Saturday. I would expect him to ride the FASTEST time trial of his life. In my opinion he will leave everything on the course and demolish the spirits of his competitors, leaving no doubt that he is the greatest Tour de France rider of all time.

gntlmn said:
The big race will be between Ullrich and Rasmussen tomorrow. Ullrich will try to bridge the 2:12 gap separating himself and Rasmussen in order to place on the podium in Paris. I'd be very surprised if Jan fails to bridge this gap. It will be Armstrong, Basso and Ullrich in Paris.
I think it will be very close. Jan will be supremely motivated to ride hard, but Rasmussen will start after Jan and will hear the splits the entire time. I would not be surprised to see Rasmussen on the podium in Paris.

In the TT we will see an Armstrong motivated like never before. It is his last ride and his children will be there. If the course is safe and dry I will go out on a limb here and predict a 2 minute win over Ullrich. Yesterday's stage showed Ullrich really hurting with his yo-yoing off the back. It was great seeing him get back to the bunch everytime. And I am not sure that LA has been tested this TDF and has gone into the red zone.....
It's my understanding that the course is slightly uphill. If that is the case, LA's cadence of higher RPM's will be an advantage. It would be great to see Ullrich post a great ride to silence his critics.