Stage 20: Trento - Aprica, 211 km

steve

Administrator
Aug 12, 2001
The penultimate stage of the 2006 Giro, includes 4000m of climbing.

.....another torturous stage that includes the dreaded Mortirolo as well.

This stage will be a cruel one given that the Giro is to end tomorrow.
The organisers have given the riders no let up.

This stage also includes a memorial to the late Marco Pantani and if I am correct there is also an existing memorial to the Heron - Fausto Coppi.

It's climbers country again - despite the flat run it.

I'm going for Simoni today.

I think Simoni is a good choice, he needs a stage win from this Giro, and to try and get second on the GC. That is unlikely to happen as he would need to make up 4:27 (4:07 if he gets first place on the stage adn Gutierrez doesn't get a bonus). However the Mortirolo makes anything possible, such a hard climb.

http://www.salite.ch/mortirol1.htm
http://www.salite.ch/aprica1.htm

Aprica may not be classified but its still a climb, so some time can be made up there. However most of the damage will be done on the Mortirolo. The other battle is whether Cunego can overtake Savoldelli on the GC. Only 2:14 behind so it is possible.

I will also bet on Simoni today. He is pedaling effortlessly... wow, if Basso were not at the Giro this year... :rolleyes:

Simoni rather angry at the end of the stage. Gibo says that Basso asked him to wait and not drop him on the downhill after the Mortirolo, then he did most of the work... and then Basso dropped him @ 2km from the end of the stage.

"This year he has been an extraterrestrial" is the last thing Gibo said before stalking off...

Well, Basso has dominated completely. Gutierrez is 9:18 behind, Simoni at 12:00, Cunego at 18:16 and Savoldelli at 19:22. Those gaps are HUGE! He's climbed better than the pure climbers, and timetrialled up with the best TTers. Who wants to bet against him for the double?

Eldrack said:
Well, Basso has dominated completely. Gutierrez is 9:18 behind, Simoni at 12:00, Cunego at 18:16 and Savoldelli at 19:22. Those gaps are HUGE! He's climbed better than the pure climbers, and timetrialled up with the best TTers. Who wants to bet against him for the double?
Absolutely. We are back to gaps a la glorious cycling days (Coppi et al). I am betting for him for the double! :rolleyes:

Unfortunately, the doping news out of Spain really depressed me so much that I've found it hard to watch racing with the same enthusiasm...

But I have to put that aside for a moment: Basso deserves major kudos: a dominant, astounding, and classy Giro! Is he good or what? Bravo.

Basso the Cannibal - and why shouldn't he take the last stage? He has been the dominant rider of this race and Simoni just didn't have the legs to stay with him on that final climb. And Basso also takes the KoM.

Who'd bet against him for the Double?

What a nice stage.. i was on Mortirolo, whitout doubts Basso was the winner...Simoni looked white and yellow on his face like his maillot!
I'll post some pics on my blog soon (massarob.blogspot.com).

A tired cyclist who did 150 kms and also the Mortirolo from Mazzo :)

What another fantastic stage again today - I taped it and have just watched it
(had to get on the bike when the weather improves here in Ireland).

Superb stage.
The Mortorilo was beautiful to watch. For me it is the best climb in continental cycling.
The Tifosi - the gradient - the narrowness of the roads - ah, words fail me.

But what a stage : Simoni and Basso were neck and neck : Gutierrez looked out on his feet climbing but he somehow managed to dig in.
Cunego climbed really well - as did Piepoli.
Savoldelli#s descending was sublime too.

Fantastic viewing : Basso's the man.
Will he be able to win a TDF later this season??

Oh and before I finish - great to see the Pantani memorial too.

Well Basso has been great in this Giro and today was the icing on the cake. His ride was (and I don't like saying that) Armstrong-esque.

I think that Savoldelli must me mentioned. His team failed him once more and yet his persistence in going after a lost cause must be praised. To risk so much in the descend to salvage 4th position says a lot about the character of the man...

Basso showed a picture of his son when he crossed the line. What`s your opinion about that? I don`t like it. I think that doesn`t suit sports. Family matters and job don`t go together. His son has nothing to do with it. I never liked all these children on TdF podium. It looks like kindergarten. What`s the point? Self-promotion? Competition who has more and the most beautiful child/children?

Virenque said:
Basso showed a picture of his son when he crossed the line. What`s your opinion about that? I don`t like it. I think that doesn`t suit sports. Family matters and job don`t go together. His son has nothing to do with it. I never liked all these children on TdF podium. What`s the point?
If you are asking me I don't mind. I know that cyclists are often inspired by incidents in their personal lives and do something out of the ordinary. I think (not sure about that) that Bruyneel rode the fastest ever Tour stage the day after his father had passed away. If Basso felt like celebrating the birth of his son that way I am not the one to disagree...

He can celebrate it with his wife and family but showing the picture of his son to the whole world is ridiculous. He can do it backstage. Stage itself is not for that!

I also find these sorts of things a bit silly.

Having said that, my wife thought it was very nice... :rolleyes:

Virenque said:
Basso showed a picture of his son when he crossed the line. What`s your opinion about that? I don`t like it. I think that doesn`t suit sports. Family matters and job don`t go together. His son has nothing to do with it. I never liked all these children on TdF podium. It looks like kindergarten. What`s the point? Self-promotion? Competition who has more and the most beautiful child/children?
I disagree for the simple reason that these guys sacrifice a lot of family time to do what they do. To say thanks and show respect and love for their family is great if you ask me.

It's not easy having a father who is away from home so often, so these moments would no doubt mean a lot to the family.