Stage 5: Piacenza - Cremona, TTT 38 km

Discussion in 'Professional Cycling' started by bobke, May 9, 2006.

1. bobke

bobke New Member

It will be down to twenty seconds between Disco and CSC.

I will choose Disco because Lance has been around and he is OBSESSED with the TTT. "Win this one for the gipper" and all that.

CSC will do well, especially since they didnt bring the Ronco Crashomatic, Dave Zabreeskie!!!!!!

Tags:

2. musette

musette New Member

I think DC too, by more of a margin over CSC than might be expected :p

3. luv2ride

luv2ride New Member

I think that CSC is going to win. They almost had it in the Tour, and the reason that they didnt was because of Dave Z. And, without Lance, Disco doesnt have that mighty fire power. Also, because there is no TTT at the tour (right?) I think Riis will be motivated BIG time to win.

4. barnstorm

barnstorm New Member

Oh how I hate to say this here and risk getting lumped in with the Lanceaholics. Honestly, I assumed CSC would with the TTT the minute it was announced. But, I looked at the actual teams once the final start list was announced and I have to say DC looks like the strongest on paper. Add the defending champion to the mix and the silly form he showed in the prologue and I think they are the favorite. CSC is strong and should probably take second. I only see three top tier powerhouses, Julich, Voigt, and Basso. DC is strong throughout... even the climbers TT very well. I think it is DCs to lose and they probably won't

1 Paolo Savoldelli (Ita)
    2 Tom Danielson (USA)
    3 Manuel Beltran Martinez (Spa)
    4 Viatcheslav Ekimov (Rus)
    5 Benoit Joachim (Lux)
    6 Jason Mccartney (USA)
    7 Pavel Padrnos (Cze)
    8 José Luis Rubiera Vigil (Spa)
    9 Matthew White (Aus)

vs.

Team CSC

191 Ivan Basso (Ita)
    192 Carlos Sastre Candil (Spa)
    193 Nicki Sorensen (Den)
    194 Michael Blaudzun (Den)
    195 Bobby Julich (USA)
    196 Jens Voigt (Ger)
    197 Giovanni Lombardi (Ita)
    198 Volodymir Gustov (Ukr)
    199 Inigo Cuesta Lopez De Castro (Spa)

Others to watch.... C'Aisse D' Balears Banesto or whatever they are called this year will be very strong, and Liberty always does a good TTT.

Wildcard... Tmobile. I think it is becoming clear that Jan could put in some pretty nice turns in a TTT at this point if he wanted. Mick Rogers looks ok. Their team is extremely strong if they decide to ride it to compete. They are a wildcard only because I am not sure they will try very hard. If they did, top three.

5. whiteboytrash

whiteboytrash New Member

The rest day preparations are pivotal and expect to see some surprises. Some riders hate rest days and they hate such important stages after a rest day. It breaks the rhythm or they sleep in to much on the rest day and can't sleep the following night. I don't see it as a DC v CSC match-race.. there are so many other teams who could take it. My picks are Liberty, T-Mobile, CSC and DC.

6. cyclingheroes

cyclingheroes New Member

Hmmm CSC will win (i think - or hope?), Disco and T-Mobile, i think Gerolsteiner will surprise with a good result.

7. guncha

guncha New Member

DC is favorite, because Lance and DaveZ aren't here, while Eki is back. DC looks very strong.

8. steve

steve Administrator
    Staff Member

CSC
    T-Mobile
    Disco

9. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

I believe that CSC are going to win the TTT.
    I think second place will be fought for by TMO, DC and Liberty Seguros.

But CSC will win it, I think.

10. whiteboytrash

whiteboytrash New Member

Liberty Seguros are the darkhorse... I think they can figure well.... Michele Scarponi is a neat rider and rode like a trojan for Heras in last years Vuelta.....

11. guncha

guncha New Member

Wishful thinking not a reality...

12. steve

steve Administrator
    Staff Member

We'll see in a few hours time ;)

13. whiteboytrash

whiteboytrash New Member

One other point is the there is no fixed time loss system for the TTT at the Giro….. Its only 38km so you wouldn’t expect massive losses for teams although gains will be very important in particular for DC and Savoldelli who already has around 15”+ on some of the favourites....

14. Eldrack

Eldrack New Member

DC
    CSC
    Liberty
    T-Mobile

Would be my guess for the results. Won't be very much of a gap between DC and CSC but then the gaps will get bigger.

15. whiteboytrash

whiteboytrash New Member

...a little more than a few hours.... :)

16. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

If you look at the TTT results for the 2005 TDF, you'll see that CSC were absolutely flying.

CSC were ahead of every team at each time check.
    But for Zabriskie's crash they'd have won the TTT by 10 seconds at least (and remember CSC beat a full strength DC team at every single time check).

Liberty at the TDF finished in 4th spot in the TTT : there team has changed since but Saiz will have these guys well trained for the TTT.

17. whiteboytrash

whiteboytrash New Member

Yes you raise some good points here.... CSC was flying at last years Tour... I think even T-Mobile posted a good time at the first check..... Although CSC did have the advantage of starting last at the Tour...

18. alibat

alibat New Member

I also think CSC will do it, although I would love to see T-Mobile do it. I do think they will be in the top 3 though.

19. musette

musette New Member

CSC was ahead of DC by an increasingly small amount at each later time check. At the last time check, DC had whittled away the CSC lead to 2 seconds, down from at least 10 seconds at earlier time checks. It is unproven that CSC would have won, but for the Dave Z crash. Especially since the more technial part of the course was the last part, where Dave Z crashed.

DC was without Eki in 05 TdF. Also, the DC cyclists who were on neither the 05 nor 04 TdF TTTs are no ITT slouches -- Danielson, McCartney, Joachim, White. Fo instance, Danielson and McCartney had the next best ITT results in Stage 1 after Il Falco, and also did well in the TdG ITT.

20. Andrija

Andrija Member

All I have to say is that this course looks too short for TTT to me. Maybe they've switched lenghts of TTT and that ITT in a week time.
    But it makes sense 'cause of time gaps and everything what could favor stronger teams.
    CSC and DC will decide the winner... I'm not sure about TM, they have riders for strong TTT, but I'm not sure if they'll push themselves to the limits... Gerolsteiner will be very strong too, Lampre has to pull something special and I think they will, they're very good team and can't afford to lose much time... It looks like Simoni will suffer most from this TTT. Rujano too, but I don't see him as a GC contender this year.