Stage 7: Cesena - Saltara, 236 km

Discussion in 'Professional Cycling' started by tcklyde, May 12, 2006.

1. tcklyde

tcklyde New Member

Time for some hills on this long, hard stage. My call: Di Luca.

Tags:

2. cyclingheroes

cyclingheroes New Member

Yeah Di Luca is my tip as well, maybe Bettini..?

3. Eldrack

Eldrack New Member

Bettini, if he can get over the hills which I think he can. He'll probably have to catch up after one or maybe two of the big climbs but he has team mates so that should be fine. Cunego would be my second bet, with Di Luca for 3rd.

4. Dead Star

Dead Star New Member

Scheirlinckx and Calzati have a lead of 13'55 over the peloton. Damn that annoying French rider who beat Lövkvist at the 2004 Avenir :mad: . If he wins today, it'd be a tragedy to say the least.

5. Eldrack

Eldrack New Member

Peloton is literally cruising. Gap up to 16:40. Well, either the peloton is going to have to put the hammer down on the Monte Catria or this break is going to be flying away. I'll make a prediction after the peloton hits the summit.

Would be interesting if the Peloton doesn't respond and the break does win with a huge margin, mind you there are enough mountains in the last week such that even someone with a half hour lead could have it destroyed in one day.

Edit:
    Profiles of the main climbs for today:
    http://www.salite.ch/8397.htm
    http://www.salite.ch/8398.htm

Maybe a Rujano attack on the Monte Catria to get third place over the climb for the mountains points?

6. Endym

Endym New Member

Point is that T-Mobile doesn't care about the break. It doesn't matter for them if gap is 16 or 36 minutues. They are not riding for CG. Other teams have to chase them down.

7. Eldrack

Eldrack New Member

Its all coming to pieces for the break on the Monte Catria. Lost 10 minutes of their lead within around 10K, the peloton must be really motoring up the climb, or the two guys in the break have just cracked.

8. thebluetrain

thebluetrain New Member

Di Luca not looking to good at the back of the peleton.

9. bobke

bobke New Member

DiLiuca is sitting last in the main group struggling to stay on wheels on the climb. Not a great sign of his form or his chances for the overall which is surprising.

10. Eldrack

Eldrack New Member

Well well, guess whose still with the lead group with 10km to go. Wonder how he will cope with the final climb, it is quite steep but this looks promising. Completely different to what happened at Romandie.

Lampre are showing serious strength on this stage, looking stronger than CSC on the hills which is interesting.

11. barnstorm

barnstorm New Member

sure looking like cunego isn't it?

12. Dead Star

Dead Star New Member

Did Musette orgasm I wonder?

Nice win Verbrugghe :cool:

13. thebluetrain

thebluetrain New Member

Nice ride by Savoldelli, he stole some seconds. Imagine that, Danielson leading out Savoldelli.

14. Eldrack

Eldrack New Member

Good strong attack by Vebrugghe in the last 5k to take the win. Nice attack from Savoldelli as well at the finish. Basso looking strong. Di Luca looking in trouble. Ullrich looking good (finished at 1:05), if he keeps on like this he will be well on track for the tour.

15. barnstorm

barnstorm New Member

cunego had his team hammering up there and didn't do anything. Ullrich had a very impressive ride and looked great. Very nice work by Tiny Tim for Salvodelli who still looks like the strongest in the race.

16. Powerful Pete

Powerful Pete New Member

Of course, Savoldelli is team leader. Or has Danielson already won two GTs... must have missed something... ;)

17. Eldrack

Eldrack New Member

Don't worry about it, all you have missed is WBT spouting about how DC is going down the pan :p .

How do you think Gonchar will do tomorrow? I suspect he won't be able to hack the big climb at the end so will fade out of the Maglia Rosa. But who will take over, Basso or Savoldelli? I think Simoni is to far behind to get the Maglia Rosa but he could win the stage, Di Luca says he wants to attack tomorrow but he didn't look great today. Cunego might go for it maybe? But then again it might be a chance for Basso to show off how strong he really is.

18. Powerful Pete

Powerful Pete New Member

Well, based on what we saw today, I would bet on Savoldelli or Basso. Di Luca did say he had a horrible day... Simoni also looked quite good after the stage, when they interviewed him. Hhhhmmmm :confused:. Really can't call this one.

19. saluki

saluki New Member

Like I said, the TTT was just one day in a 21 day race. It was no reason to get excited or make predictions.

Today's race doesn't tell us a whole lot either. Savoldelli's surge at the end is mostly meaningless regarding his chances in the big mountains. What was important, it seems to me, was DiLuca's weakness. This has to cut his odds of making the podium. Jan was also surprising. I can't put him into the contender category, but it seems that the race is working well as a conditioning program for him. I told a friend a couple of weeks ago that the Giro was probably the best thing for Jan. He seems to be too lazy to train on his own, but the excitement of a race at least makes him work hard.

20. Rob81

Rob81 New Member

Grande Savo!

I often met him on his training when he 's at home, he trained often with TT bike this year and long distances, I didnt expect to see him in this form right now, and hope this form'll last for the last week!