Stage 8: Civitanova Marche - Maielletta Passo Lanciano, 171 km

Discussion in 'Professional Cycling' started by steve, May 14, 2006.

1. steve

steve Administrator
    Staff Member

The first mountaintop finish for this years Giro d'Italia (a tough 12km climb altitude 1306m).

Tags:

2. Andrija

Andrija Member

Time to see some serious attacks, primarily from riders who already lost some time, Simoni, Rujano, maybe Cunego, Di Luca if he has recovered. And also to see if Salvoldelli can handle those attacks. I think Basso won't have any problems.
    It will be also interesting to see how Jan will do this climb, yesterday he was impressive knowing that he's just training here.

3. guncha

guncha New Member

I hope Jan will ride till the end. Maybe he will even drop everyone in last mountain stages. He is very impressive, I didn't expect from him such kind of form...

4. Eldrack

Eldrack New Member

On the climb and all the main favorites are together. Waiting for someone to attack soon. Wouldn't be suprised to see Basso take this stage, or maybe an attack by Simoni to get some time back.

And hopefully the tennis will stop soon so live audio on eurosport can happen.

5. Andrija

Andrija Member

F..k tennis, f..k Henin-Hardenne, f..k Petrova, f..k Eurosport...

6. Powerful Pete

Powerful Pete New Member

Jan was immediately dropped when the going got tough (8~9 km from the finish). Finished some 16 minutes down on Basso. He is not there yet.

Savoldelli dropped and lost over a minute. DiLuca did not do much better. Simoni, et al could not keep up when Cunego attacked @ 4 km from the finish, Basso caught up and dropped him. Basso in pink, looks like things are going very well for CSC (assuming that Basso and Savoldelli are more or less equivalent in the TT).... :cool:

Heck of a stage. A tremendously impressive Basso, came up looking a-ok. And hats off to Sastre, that pulled the Basso group for most of the last 7~8 kms. :rolleyes:

7. Powerful Pete

Powerful Pete New Member

Never thought I would say this, but thank the lord for Rai! :D

8. Eldrack

Eldrack New Member

I cannot see Savoldelli winning after todays stage. We know Basso time trials better than him, and now he seems to climb better as well. Then again, it could have just been a bad day for Savoldelli but with this performance Basso has to be the favorite for the over all. Mind you, one bad day in that last week and its all over for anybody.

9. bobke

bobke New Member

I think Salvo lost over two minutes and the Giro today.

The same cannot be said of Cunego who only lost 30 seconds and Gutierreez.
    Simoni may go better in the harder mountains at the end.

That having been said, Basso will gain over 1.5-2 minutes over Cunego Simoni Rujano et all in the ITT (not Salvo, Danielkson and Gonchar) I dont know about Gutierrez.

As for the ideas that Cunego and Simoni will rock in the tall mountains because they are so small, after today I aint buying it.

More to the point, Basso ruled in Armstrong fashion. Sastre stripped everyone away and didnt let the little climbers attack from a slower pace, The fast tempo of the first two hours killed folks like Danielson who got dropped WAY too early.

Basso dominated like Lance.
    Ullrcih should worry aboiut July.

10. Powerful Pete

Powerful Pete New Member

Interesting, in the post-stage interviews, that is exactly what Basso said...after last year, he intends to live day by day... carpe diem.

11. JRMDC

JRMDC New Member

A new name - for me - appears among the leaders today: Giampaulo Caruso of Liberty Seguros Wurth. Fourth today, eight overall.

Any comments on him? Won a stage Down Under in 2003, 10th at Amstel in 2004, 19th last year in the Giro. Up and comer? Expected performance? Surprise? I don't see a pattern of consistent performance, but perhaps he has been a strong loyal domestique and I just dont recall the name.

12. Virenque

Virenque New Member

Exactly! Basso looks like Lance and CSC looks like USPS/Disco. TTT, Sastre doing a lot of work, Basso winning first mountain stage, ...

Savoldelli disappointed me a lot today. He rode very good yesterday.

I don`t know what was Rujano thinking when he jumped after struggling at the end. He also reached the first group from somewhere behind! That was very stupid. On the other side, after watching him yesterday, I didn`t expect him to be in top 10 today. The same goes to DiLuca.

13. Powerful Pete

Powerful Pete New Member

Also a 4th in the Lombardia last year. Strong little Sicilian who is showing himself to be a very tought customer...

14. Powerful Pete

Powerful Pete New Member

Rujano' s problem today was pride... he was interviewed during the stage and told the RAI motorcycle journalist that he would win the stage today, no contest. It hurts to make those types of statements and then get dropped like a stone... :rolleyes:

15. Virenque

Virenque New Member

So another stupid thing...you can`t say you`ll win after performance like yesterday`s. And no matter what you say, you just don`t jump while you struggle behind. Maybe 100m from the finish, but definitely not 3km from it.

16. Powerful Pete

Powerful Pete New Member

True, but it is more or less what Cunego did... if he had gone up with Basso and Sastre he would have had a shot at winning the stage...

17. Virenque

Virenque New Member

Cunego was still strong enough to finish second after his attack, while Rujano was way back. And if Cunego would stay with Basso and Sastre, probably Simoni and others will stay too, which would be worse for him.

18. Powerful Pete

Powerful Pete New Member

Fair enough, but I guess we can only guess if Basso would have kicked it up a notch and attacked or not... :confused:

19. Andrija

Andrija Member

Cunego, Simoni, Savoldelli, Di Luca & co. can now only hope for another Basso's stomach bug.

20. cyclingheroes

cyclingheroes New Member

Hmm, i don't know, the Giro is another 2 weeks and the last week is the hardest, in 2005 it wasn't the first time that Basso had a bad day...