stage 8 predictions please

Discussion in 'Professional Cycling' started by claggy, Jul 12, 2003.

1. claggy

claggy New Member

wild bet but im going for mercado he was looking very good over the top of the last 2 climbs today , is a bit down on gc so is likely to be allowed a bit of freedom.
    never seen alpe dhuez approached from the galibier , but there is a very long decent from the top of the galibier to bourg d oisans so unless someone gets a big gap at the top it will all come back together before the final climb.

Tags:

2. matt_ttu

matt_ttu New Member

I'm going to have to go with Armstrog here. He's about 2:30 behind for the Yellow jersey, and it's the time for him to make his move as Virenque is probably shot from todays race.

3. steve

steve Administrator
    Staff Member

km 10: Cote du Megeve (9.9km @ 5.1%)
    km 125.5: Col du Telegraphe (12.1km @ 6.8%)
    km 149: Col du Galibier (18.5km @ 6.7%)
    km 211: l'Alpe d'Huez (14.1km @ 8%)

I'd like to see Michael Rogers get on the podium in this stage :D he was 4th in stage 7 so he can climb.

I doubt anyone can beat lance up l'Alpe d'Huez he's my pick for the win!

cheers

4. Tour de Lance

Tour de Lance New Member

:( :( I wish you were right...:( :(

5. Vo2

Vo2 Member

Damn, that was awesome!
    I'm sad for Ullrich tho. Imagine if he was part of the Armstrong/Beloki/Hamilton group. It would of been even more spectacular.
    Can't wait for tomorrow!

6. Tour de Lance

Tour de Lance New Member

do ya think Lance is in a slump or he just didnt care about mayo knowing that mayo isnt that good in TT?

7. gymbob

gymbob New Member

i thought ullrich rode really well - he got dropped early on because the pace set by postal was so high, but he kept his cool and managed his losses. granted i doubt he'll be on the podium now - unless he pulls something great off in the pyrenees or time trials

Martin

8. i2ambler

i2ambler New Member

Its almost like Armstrong doesnt care if he wins a stage.. He looks strong, but didnt bother even reacting to mayo.. It will be a little sad if he wins the whole thing and doesnt get a stage win.

9. Tour de Lance

Tour de Lance New Member

i think he'll win the individual time trial on 18th July.

10. i2ambler

i2ambler New Member

Yeah, he probably will. However, I think it would be more fitting a champion to WIN a couple of the tough mountain stages. I guess its still early!

11. claggy

claggy New Member

i was annoyed with the other riders on the galibier when they didnt attack , there was a moment with about 5k to go where the posties slowed (i dont know if hincapie was tired or lance was) and someone should have had a go.
    at alpe d huez though i think the posties went far too hard at the bottom which is the hardest part , it looked like beltran was sprinting !
    didnt think armstrong looked great but he didnt have any difficulty hanging on to beloki and hamilton. wasnt tyler brilliant though , although he looked as if he was in a bit of pain (understandably ) when getting out of the saddle.
    was a fantastic stage though , who knows there might be more to come.

12. claggy

claggy New Member

incidently this is what tyler told cycling news

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Hamilton continued, "I still have problems with the accelerations because of my collarbone and my own attacks were partly launched in an effort to keep a steady and high pace. It looked as though Mayo and Armstrong were playing a little cat and mouse game and I was afraid that I would not be able to survive if the accelerations kept coming. As long as I am able to stay in the saddle, I can deal with the pain but whenever I have to stand up in the pedals and pull with my right arm, it is extremely painful."

"Tomorrow's stage may not look difficult on paper, but the penultimate climb has a very steep section where I will have to stand up in the pedals and I am a bit anxious about that. At the moment, I choose to be happy about my performance today and I hope that I will be able to maintain my current level all the way to Paris."
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx