Stage 8 TDF : Sunday, July 15: Le-Grand-Bornand - Tignes, 165km

limerickman

Jan 5, 2004
Second stage in the Alps, sees the peloton covering the following climbs :

Km 15.5: Col du Marais: 3.8 km climb @ 4.1 % grade / 4th Cat.
Km 22: Côte du Bouchet-Mont-Charvin: 2.0 km climb @ 7.1 % grade / 3rd Cat.
Km 46.5: Col de Tamié: 9.5 km climb @ 4 % grade / 2nd Cat.
Km 99.5: Cormet de Roselend (D.925-D.902): 19.9 km climb @ 6 % grade / 1st Cat.
Km 136.5: Montée d'Hauteville: 15.3 km climb @ 4.7 % grade / 1st Cat.
Km 163: Montée de Tignes: 18.0 km climb @ 5.4 % grade / 1st Cat.

A tough day for the entire peloton.

The hardest climb that I've ever done was the Cormet de Roseland : sheer torture.
Will be watching the pros eagerly to see how easy they find the climb

limerickman said:
Second stage in the Alps, sees the peloton covering the following climbs :

Km 15.5: Col du Marais: 3.8 km climb @ 4.1 % grade / 4th Cat.
Km 22: Côte du Bouchet-Mont-Charvin: 2.0 km climb @ 7.1 % grade / 3rd Cat.
Km 46.5: Col de Tamié: 9.5 km climb @ 4 % grade / 2nd Cat.
Km 99.5: Cormet de Roselend (D.925-D.902): 19.9 km climb @ 6 % grade / 1st Cat.
Km 136.5: Montée d'Hauteville: 15.3 km climb @ 4.7 % grade / 1st Cat.
Km 163: Montée de Tignes: 18.0 km climb @ 5.4 % grade / 1st Cat.

The hardest climb that I've ever done was the Cormet de Roseland : sheer torture.
Will be watching the pros eagerly to see how easy they find the climb
Should be a cracker of a stage tonight, It will be a big test for the Astana boys Vino and Kloden, even Biver thinks they will be dropped today.

The Double Zero said:
Should be a cracker of a stage tonight, It will be a big test for the Astana boys Vino and Kloden, even Biver thinks they will be dropped today.
It will also be a big test for yellow jersey. I guess today will see a new guy wearing it at the end of the day.
I also think that there will be an escape of Rasmussen early in the stage to get as many points as possible.

If you didn't watch yesterday's race, check out Gerdemann when he finishes. He's so tired that I don't think he'll be able to defend his jersey today !
Stage 7 review

limerickman said:

It's just as tough for the Australian viewers :). Staying awakes the problem, viewing starts at 10.30pm. We've also got to watch this dreadful cooking segment before the feed comes through :D.

Cadel has talked it up (well by his own standards it was) by saying his tour starts tomorrow. So I am looking for the real Cadel to light it up. Surely this stage will be a total all out **** fight to the end with the rest day to follow?

(I thought Cadels right hand man - that seppo Horner - did well yesterday too.)

Surely you have to destroy a man while he is down (Vino). Cadel, Rogers, Sastre etc etc need to put Vino the bed NOW.

1 hour behind Aussie time here in Japan and tomorrow's a public holiday so having the rare beer tonight as well. Have watched every stage so far...but have been snoozing in the middle bits and have my alarm set to make sure I catch the last hour. I haven't missed many of the interesting bits but will certainly buy the DVD for this tour when it comes out....

I hope about 3 or 4 come out tonight with about the same time difference at the top.

Including Evans, Rogers, Kloden and anybody but Vino. Although, if Vino does come good, I'll give him a benefit of the doubt cheer for guts....

Dancier said:
It's just as tough for the Australian viewers :). Staying awakes the problem, viewing starts at 10.30pm. We've also got to watch this dreadful cooking segment before the feed comes through :D.
Thats cause you live in the wrong state. starts at 830 here in West Australia

existence said:
Cadel has talked it up (well by his own standards it was) by saying his tour starts tomorrow. So I am looking for the real Cadel to light it up. Surely this stage will be a total all out **** fight to the end with the rest day to follow?

(I thought Cadels right hand man - that seppo Horner - did well yesterday too.)

Surely you have to destroy a man while he is down (Vino). Cadel, Rogers, Sastre etc etc need to put Vino the bed NOW.
Valverde made comment that his team were gona try and break the two Astana riders, Rabbobank look strong to, so i'd say they'l have the same plan in mind. It's harsh but i'd say the Astana riders would do the same, if there rivals wern't at there best

Scotttri said:
Valverde made comment that his team were gona try and break the two Astana riders, Rabbobank look strong to, so i'd say they'l have the same plan in mind. It's harsh but i'd say the Astana riders would do the same, if there rivals wern't at there best
They should have tested Vino and Klodi yesterday, maybe upped the tempo for a few Ks to see how the Astana riders responded. Allowing Vino to recover is not very smart.

Attack,attack,attack! Explode the peloton,destroy the weak, gain time and see who has the legs to hang on.
Rest tomorrow.

Bro Deal said:
They should have tested Vino and Klodi yesterday, maybe upped the tempo for a few Ks to see how the Astana riders responded. Allowing Vino to recover is not very smart.
Very true, and Kloden as well, every second could count, the other teams should be trying to gain as much time as possible

Rogers in the break. Good or bad move?

Looking at the way the peloton broke into pieces on the early climbs, this could be excellent.

Bro Deal said:
Rogers in the break. Good or bad move?

Looking at the way the peloton broke into pieces on the early climbs, this could be excellent.

Good if he breaks away for a stage win. Bad if he pulls too much... Good if the group help him. Bad if the larger groups behind work well and preserve the energy of some other hopeful... Where is Evans?

JAPANic said:
Good if he breaks away for a stage win. Bad if he pulls too much... Good if the group help him. Bad if the larger groups behind work well and preserve the energy of some other hopeful... Where is Evans?
I think if the peloton shatters before the final climb then this will work out well for Rogers. If he burns energy in the break and gets caught on before the final climb then he risks being eliminated from contention.

The break's time gap is pretty stable. It needs to be expanding.

Phil and Paul, clueless. They keep harping on Rasmussen being a contender for overall victory.

beached whale said:
4 min and growing...rogers looking good. i wonder why t-mobile have been chasing.
Stupidity. Evidently the team's shakeup did not extend to the director sportifs.