Stage 9 TDF - Tuesday, July 17: Val-d’Isère - Briançon, 159.5km

I'm thinking an early break with either De La Fuente &/or Chavanel out to chase the KOM points, While Rasmussan sits in to protect his Lead.

Rasmussan might have a crack on the Galibier but would probably be fruitless with 40k's for the others to haul him back.

GC riders could split in 2 groups on the Galibier but reform in the final 40k and have a sprint to the line.
In that case Valverde to win.

Durangodave said:
Chicken will get plucked on the last 30k run out to Briancon, if he tries to go alone.
But... if an early break gets off, maybe he could bridge up and ride out the descent with them??? A move like that could set the race on fire. Does that sound like a reasonable scenario?
I don't know why all the talk about chicken.... did you see how much time the Moreau group pulled out of him even thou they were fluffing about ? They pulled back 4 minutes in 8km ! Ras has no chance and as the Tour bores on he will fall back into the pack.........

Astana is saying Vino will be fully recovered on Tuesday. Vino and Klodi climbed nearly to the top of the Col de l'Iseran during the rest day.

Moreau attacks on the Galibier. Vino, Klodi, Raz and a few others go with them. The rest of the contenders lose time. Vino has shown before (2003) that he is willing to go for broke on a descent.

Evans to smash them on the first climb of the day and take 30 mins out of the whole field....

Ok that was stupid. :D

" Today is also very interesting because a day in the mountains after a rest day can be very surprising for some of the riders! If you didn't work hard also on the rest day it is possible that you are not good enough on the climbs".......

An e-mail I received today from an recent ex- pro who rode this race several times.
Interesting thought.

jhuskey said:
" Today is also very interesting because a day in the mountains after a rest day can be very surprising for some of the riders! If you didn't work hard also on the rest day it is possible that you are not good enough on the climbs".......

An e-mail I received today from an recent ex- pro who rode this race several times.
Interesting thought.
That would be why Vino and Klodi climbed the l'Iseran yesterday. That did not sound like much a REST day to me. :D

Bro Deal said:
That would be why Vino and Klodi climbed the l'Iseran yesterday. That did not sound like much a REST day to me. :D

Me either, but the guy I am referring to knows the routine. I wonder if Voeckler will go in a break today.
I know he can't climb well but he doesn't seem to notice that fact.

jhuskey said:
Me either, but the guy I am referring to knows the routine. I wonder if Voeckler will go in a break today.
I know he can't climb well but he doesn't seem to notice that fact.
That's one of the riders I expected to go on break. But it looks like it's Popovych who has made the move. The break only has six riders. I expected there would be more.

Dead Star said:
They surely won't let Rasmussen get away now that he's leading the race?

I've never understood these words, because for 7 years i watched as a superior mountain rider rode away from the pack again and again after his team set a gruelling pace up the early parts of climbs.

No one wanted that rider to get away, either. Rabobank is no USPS and I doubt whether the other Primas at Rabobank will support Rasmussen.

Frihed89 said:
I've never understood these words, because for 7 years i watched as a superior mountain rider rode away from the pack again and again after his team set a gruelling pace up the early parts of climbs.

No one wanted that rider to get away, either. Rabobank is no USPS and I doubt whether the other Primas at Rabobank will support Rasmussen.
Race radio has confirmd that the dog is OK, I repeat the dog is OK!

The Double Zero said:
Race radio has confirmd that the dog is OK, I repeat the dog is OK!
I hope so! and not brushed under the rug for PR purposes... poor pooch :(

What's with this story about Millar being alergic to the sun. Is this Ligget's way of saying Millar has a killer sun burn or what?

Bro Deal said:
What's with this story about Millar being alergic to the sun. Is this Ligget's way of saying Millar has a killer sun burn or what?
No, some people do have adverse reactions to sunlight that isnt sunburn, but more similar to an allergic reaction. The reaction is a bit like ecszema i think.

Kinema said:
No, some people do have adverse reactions to sunlight that isnt sunburn, but more similar to an allergic reaction. The reaction is a bit like ecszema i think.
Seems a bit weird that it has only been a problem now, considering he has been in the sun alot before.

The Double Zero said:
Seems a bit weird that it has only been a problem now, considering he has been in the sun alot before.
Well they were saying that he has yet to identify the specific type of reaction or allergy he's experiancing, so theres a good chance that its a relativly new allergin to him, probly from spending so much time in the sun while training.

Allergies can occur spontaneously like that sometimes

Kinema said:
Is this something that just affects Brits and Transalvanians. :D

Kinema said:
Well they were saying that he has yet to identify the specific type of reaction or allergy he's experiancing, so theres a good chance that its a relativly new allergin to him, probly from spending so much time in the sun while training.

Allergies can occur spontaneously like that sometimes
Yep, or he could have been bitten by a bug or something. He is riding nicely at the moment.