Stage 9 TDF - Tuesday, July 17: Val-d’Isère - Briançon, 159.5km

hope he can pull it of in front but am affraid he ll get caught in the last small climb. Nice break among the contenders in this break by the way, you can actually see some riders in the second group get angry

Trajectum said:
hope he can pull it of in front but am affraid he ll get caught in the last small climb.
Hope you are wrong. This would be a great win for Barloworld.

Andrew76 said:
Latest commentary - Evans has sat up as not catching Disco quick enough. Why sit up? Why not put time into Ras? Who cares if you are not catching Disco? Let them have their day in the sun!

OK I retract. The pack are catching the Disco boys, so good call Cadel. Silly to let the gap open up.

Well done Phil - for calling his co-commentator Phil!!

I want to say somethign but this isa ll changing so fast...all i can say is this is fantastic!

Well deserved win by soler!! Huzzah for the underdog

ANd third for Evans i Believe, did well!

The happiness on Solers face as he realised he won was inspiring

Looks like about two and a half minute loss for Vino. Surely this ends his bid to win and Klodi will be given support.

That was a good race.

Very nice win by Soler. Looks like someone is going to get a few pro team offers in his mail

Awesome ride from Soler. Was hoping he would hold on and not get swallowed up in that last km.
Barloworlds tour is now a complete success.

What does this stage tell us?

Several teams lost their multiple leaders. Vino and Kash lost big time. Schleck also lost out, as did Pereiro and Karpets. Was Menchov also with Vino's group?

Contador looks super strong when climbing. The two mountain top finishes in the Pyrenees will be big opportunities for him.

The Chicken is not as strong of a climber when he is not allowed a huge lead.

Evans, Klodi, and Leipheimer can all time trial well. Evans has a good chance to podium.

Bro Deal said:

Several teams lost their multiple leaders. Vino and Kash lost big time. Schleck also lost out, as did Pereiro and Karpets. Was Menchov also with Vino's group?

Contador looks super strong when climbing. The two mountain top finishes in the Pyrenees will be big opportunities for him.

The Chicken is not as strong of a climber when he is not allowed a huge lead.

Evans, Klodi, and Leipheimer can all time trial well. Evans has a good chance to podium.
Hey you forgot to mention my favourite Valverde ! He is looking super strong + he can collect a lot of time bonuses at the finish of mountain stages (simply by outsprinting the first group).

Did you see Burghardt flying ?

sk8ar said:
Hey you forgot to mention my favourite Valverde ! He is looking super strong + he can collect a lot of time bonuses at the finish of mountain stages (simply by outsprinting the first group).

Did you see Burghardt flying ?
Valverde now has undisputed leadership of his team. Karpets and Pereiro are gone. The big question is how good of a long time trial can he do? He isn't climbing well enough to distance the riders we know can TT well.

Bro Deal said:
It means Evans now unofficially leads the tour and will take yellow on Saturday. Whether he holds it on Sunday is another thing lol...my gut feeling is Contador will take it off him on the Sunday mountain finish. They will fight it out all the way to Paris. Kloden in third.

What this stage tells me is that it will be a fight between Valverde Klodi and Contador. I hope stage 8, pulling back for Vino, won't prove fatal for Andreas. Hopefully he will smoke them all in the ITT.

What a cracker of a stage that was, most riveting so far. Almost had a tear in my eye as I remembered shades of Lucho Herrera (I have a soft spot for Columbian riders). I guess we should have taken note of Soler Hernandez after his 4th placing on the day Linus won.

Cadel-knockers take note of his ride today.

Eagle of Toledo said:
+1. His solo up to Contador was great to see. Contador sure did drop a bomb on him shortly there after. However for Cadel to end up finishing 2 seconds ahead of him by the end of the stage was a testiment to his consistency. Good on him for having a go. :)

Eagle of Toledo said:
What a cracker of a stage that was, most riveting so far. Almost had a tear in my eye as I remembered shades of Lucho Herrera (I have a soft spot for Columbian riders). I guess we should have taken note of Soler Hernandez after his 4th placing on the day Linus won.

Yes, and someone posted it would be boring.