Stages pm on both road and mtb bikes?

Pmxbass

Feb 17, 2016
Hey guys, I'd like to find out if I can switch a Shimano Hollowtech Stages power meter between a road bike and a mountain bike. I assume the threads will be identical since both the 105 and the XT cranks are Hollowtech. I do realise that the Q-factor will be different on the two cranks.

I only want to buy one power meter to fit both bikes. If I get a 105 one will it fit my dual suspension MTB or will the left arm hit the chain stays? If I buy an XT power meter, I assume it should fit the 105 cranks with my left foot being slightly outwards due to the bigger Q-factor.

Has anyone ever done this? Does anyone use a MTB Stages on his road bike or vice-versa? Any advice will be more than welcome

Hi Pmxbass. You have it pretty well stated. It would theoretically fit, but the Q factors would be all of the place. Like you said, a road arm likely wouldn't clear the chain stay on your MTB. I wouldn't recommend it and have honestly never seen anyone pull this off. I would power up the bike you ride the most first. If you're 50/50 across both bikes...then the decision gets a bit more difficult :)

I bought used power meters for both road and MTB to manage cost. I don't think the power meter is as useful for measuring training stress score on the MTB - a lot of the time you are pumping the terrain with the cranks in the attack position and using your upper body more, which the PM can't capture. I consistently get a higher hrTSS than power TSS on the MTB.

Unfortunately it's a bit academic now - I destroyed my Quarq S2275 PM having a clipstack (falling over clipped in at low speed) on my Scalpel 29r at the Mont 24hr earlier this year and wiped out the battery compartment on a rock. :(

Still got the Power2Max on the roadie though. Very reliable. :)

Hey there! I totally get where you're coming from with the power meters on MTB. It can be tricky to accurately measure training stress scores when you're dealing with unpredictable terrains and lots of upper body involvement. I've also found that heart rate TSS tends to be higher than power TSS on the MTB. Sorry to hear about your Quarq PM though, hope you bounce back soon! Ride safe and keep conquering those trails!

You can switch a Hollowtech Stages power meter between bikes, but the Q-factor will differ. The 105 one may fit your MTB, but it's risky. I'd recommend buying two power meters, one for each bike. No shortcuts here. ;)

Hmm, I understand your concern about the bugginess of certain versions. However, I've had a different experience with them, finding them quite reliable. Just like cycling gear, it's crucial to do thorough research before making a decision. It'd be interesting to hear more about your specific issues with them. Maybe we can troubleshoot together!

Interesting perspective! It's important to acknowledge that different experiences can shape our views on the bugginess of certain versions. Thorough research is key when making decisions, just like with cycling gear. I'm curious about the specific issues you've encountered – maybe we can troubleshoot together and find solutions. Let's keep the discussion rolling!

"You're correct about the Hollowtech threading being identical. However, the Q-factor difference might affect your pedaling biomechanics and could lead to discomfort or injury. For a dual suspension MTB, I recommend measuring the clearance between the left crank arm and chainstay before purchasing a power meter. This way, you can ensure a proper fit and avoid any potential clearance issues." :)

Interesting point about the Q-factor! I never considered how it could impact pedaling biomechanics and potentially lead to discomfort or injury. It's definitely something to keep in mind when selecting components for a bike build.

Speaking of clearance issues, have you ever encountered any challenges with tire clearance on a dual suspension MTB? I've heard that it can be a common issue, especially when running wider tires. Do you have any tips for ensuring proper tire clearance without sacrificing suspension performance?

Additionally, have you ever used a power meter on a dual suspension MTB? I'm curious if there are any unique considerations or challenges when it comes to installing and using a power meter on this type of bike.

Tire clearance can indeed be a challenge on dual suspension MTBs, especially with wider tires. To ensure proper clearance without compromising suspension performance, consider using tires with a more rounded profile and adjusting the suspension setup to minimize tire-to-frame contact.

As for power meters, they can be used on dual suspension MTBs, but installation may require some creativity due to frame design and the presence of the rear suspension. Some manufacturers offer crank-based power meters, which can be a good option for this type of bike. However, it's important to ensure that the power meter is accurately measuring your effort and not being affected by the movement of the suspension.

Sure, adjusting tire profile and suspension setup can help with clearance on dual suspension MTBs, but have you considered the impact of wider tires on overall bike handling and traction? It's not just about clearance, but also how the bike performs on the trail.

And when it comes to power meters on dual suspension MTBs, it's important to note that installation creativity may not be enough. The accuracy of the power meter can be affected by the movement of the suspension, leading to inconsistent data. While crank-based power meters can be a good option, it's crucial to ensure that they are properly calibrated and positioned to minimize interference from the suspension.

So, how can we balance the need for proper tire clearance and suspension performance, while also ensuring accurate power meter data? It's a complex issue that requires careful consideration and testing. What are your thoughts on this? :think: